MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-07-2013, 06:03 PM   #10966
Peddler
Knows what a fatty is.

Personally I use ball valves on all three nipples, no fuss-no muss.

Old 06-08-2013, 08:54 AM   #10967
kjones14
Got rid of the matchlight.

So I jumped the gun and started my burn out last night with my weed burner. I believe it is all burnt out. I have a new unlined drum but it did have a greasy feel to it that is my I burnt it out. Better safe than sorry. Is there a certain look or feel you are looking for?
kjones14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-09-2013, 02:19 PM   #10968
Templar
Got rid of the matchlight.

[quote=woodbutcher1;2506983]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
If anyone NEAR ATLANTA,GA is looking for the perfect 55 gallon barrel for $20.00 to build a smoker (UDS-smoker) out of then give Charlie a call. These are UNLINED barrels so you don't have to burn the liner out and then wire brush it out after that (A lot of work)............

Not so true my friend about the perfect barrel or NOT having to burn them out because you can't see a liner. Unless you get a drum from right from a drum manufacturer or a reconditioning center, there will be a Liner in the drum. Its a Rust inhibitor and it is Clear. You think you are looking at bare metal, but your not. You still would want to do a burn out. just saying.

These barrels had food grade mineral oil in them and I did a scratch test and belive me there is no coating inside these barrels. I hear what your saying but believe me these are bare metal...I guess or would think that the mineral oil is rust preventive enough. BUT.....I did remove the paint from the outside with a weed burner so I guess you could say that it was burned out too.

Last edited by Templar; 06-09-2013 at 03:11 PM..
Templar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2013, 08:17 PM   #10969
Porcine Perfection
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : ...

I am starting to get parts for mine. I was thinking of using this for a fire basket. It is 13.5" in diameter and 15" tall. Thoughts?

Old 06-10-2013, 08:19 PM   #10970
Mr. Bo
is one Smokin' Farker

Can't tell you friend. It looks like a small thimble to me.
Traeger Lil Pig
Mr. Bo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-10-2013, 08:29 PM   #10971
Porcine Perfection
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bo View Post
Can't tell you friend. It looks like a small thimble to me.
Try refreshing the page please.

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-10-2013, 08:35 PM   #10972
HookedOnQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP7794 View Post
I am starting to get parts for mine. I was thinking of using this for a fire basket. It is 13.5" in diameter and 15" tall. Thoughts?

Never used one but others have and i dont see why it wont. The only problem i see using this is the holes being too small or too few for the ash to fall through causing your fire to be smothered. If thats the case maybe you could drill the bottom holes a little bigger.

Old 06-10-2013, 08:35 PM   #10973
Mr. Bo
is one Smokin' Farker

How did you do that??

It looks plenty solid but my only concern would be, for lack of a better term, air flow. There seems to be more solid than hole. Would it breath right in the drum?
Traeger Lil Pig
Mr. Bo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2013, 09:22 AM   #10974
Supes
Got Wood.

Default My bash at a UDS

Hello, I'm new to the forums and live in the UK. A BBQ in England generally means putting some cheap sausages over half lit coals soaked in lighter fluid.

However, a few years back I learned the dark arts of cooking meat over indirect heat and it's changed my world.

This is my first bash at a UDS. I like to call her Mwfanwy.

This is the day of her maiden burn. I've just seasoned the insides with veg oil and wanted to get the outside nice and hot to harden the paint. It took 4 tins of heat proof paint and she's still not red enough for my liking.

It cost a lot more than I expected but apart from sanding out the inside of a burnt out drum, it was a fun project.

I couldn't find expanded steel anywhere in the UK so the charcoal bin is an old washing machine drum with loads of holes drilled at the bottom.

One of the things that surprised me was how quick the temp goes up. 15 minutes into the burn and she was already coming up to 250f.

I was amazed by how easy it is to control the heat and how it just seems to hang there at that temp. This was 6 hours into the burn.

And finally, 12.5 hours into the burn I went out and checked and she was still parked at 270f. I've no idea how long she kept chugging along as I went to bed.

Next weekend I plan to smoke a pork shoulder and a fatty. It's fathers day on Sunday in the UK and I intend to spend it eating nothing but meat.

Cheers!
Supes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2013, 10:46 AM   #10975
CambuiAl
On the road to being a farker

Supes - good to see some fellow Brits on here sharing the knowledge with those back home! Your UDS looks great - is it Welsh Dragon Red by any chance? With a name like Mwfanwy I had to wonder!

My Brazilian friends fall about laughing when I show them photos of disposable grills in the UK...

Old 06-11-2013, 11:03 AM   #10976
slugmong
Knows what a fatty is.

Supes, as CambuiAl said good to see more Brits actually appreciating decent BBQ!

Old 06-11-2013, 11:05 AM   #10977
CambuiAl
On the road to being a farker

Default UDS MkII

So - I have completed UDS Mk II - same idea as last time, with some modifications:

- new handles (the MkI has cheap and nasty handles that feel too lightweight)
- smaller main ball-valve - uses a 3/4" and not a 1.5" which is just too awkward to source the fitting parts for.
- Directional exhaust - this just turns, so you can move it depending on where the breeze is blowing from. It seems to make quite a difference.

I did a Brazilian Cupim on Saturday - this is the 'hump' from a Bramha bull, and it's a cut of meat with fat marbled through it, that benefits from a low & slow. I rubbed it with Dijon mustard first, then added some dry onion flakes and salt, and popped it in for 10 hours. Temperatures seemed fairly stable between 230F ~ 260F with my unreliable meat probe measuring ambient temps, and my overly-wide charcoal basket.

I foiled the meat for the last hour - the finished product:

The meat was pulling apart with a fork, and still really moist. There was a good smoke ring too:

Lessons learned for next time:
- I need the proper thermometer. I have an ambient one to fit this weekend, and a Maverick on order from Germany which will arrive in July.
- The new charcoal baskets will be 14" diameter (down from 18") as it needs to be more narrow to ensure the burn moves downwards nicely.
- The directional exhaust makes a difference if cooking outdoors without wind shelter - if the wind changes, and is blowing down the flue, it impacts the temps.

Old 06-11-2013, 01:15 PM   #10978
wjm
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

looking good Supes
I'm having bother finding expanded metal as well,B&Q have some but it's a bit light
what size holes did you put in the washing machine drum and how many did you drill?
johnny
wjm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-11-2013, 01:28 PM   #10979
SmokinJohn
Babbling Farker

Supes and CambuiAl - Nice looking UDS's...makes me want to go out and build another...if only I knew where I could get good ideas...hmmmmmmm

Old 06-11-2013, 02:48 PM   #10980
olewarthog
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP7794 View Post

I have used one & it works well as long as I used lump. With briquettes, esp KB, the ash would choke down the fire on long cooks. The bottom finally began to burn out. I ordered one of these & few weeks ago & so far really like it.
https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/stor...r-drum-smokers

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker