MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-01-2012, 01:10 PM   #10351
Durzil
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by P&Y13738 View Post
Hello, I am new here and found your forum while searching for directions on making a UBS. While I haven't made it all the way through this thread yet, at page 14, I have a question and I haven't come across it yet. I have read that several of you have made various goodies for a New Years party and I would love to do the same. The question is what is the coldest outside air temp any of you have used a UBS? I live in Minnesota and it could be plenty cold even below 0 degrees by that time of year. Well back to more reading.
Many have used them below 0. A water heater insulation blanket will help fuel consumption. Could use a welders blanket or some such as well. I live in Oregon (not terribly cold) and neither it or rain affects my UDS. Wind is the big issue so I have it placed where it is blocked and I'll put a cinder block just in front of the intake to minimize wind gusts entering the barrel and causing temperature fluctuations.

Old 12-01-2012, 01:19 PM   #10352
Just BS
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetheatbbq View Post
I just got done removing the liner off of the food grade drum I bought. I used non toxic paint remover from Home Depot (I tried to burn out the liner but a neighbor called the cops due to the smell). Is there anything I can do to keep the inside from getting rust? Will a good wood burn/smoke work to keep the metal from rusting
Get a can of cooking spray and coat the inside of it to season it and prevent rusting.
Just BS is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-01-2012, 10:05 PM   #10353
Pulledporky
Found some matches.

Question for ya fellows, does anybody know is a 5 gallon bucket handle is galvanized? Was thinking about attaching one to my charcoal basket. What do y'all think?
Pulledporky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2012, 11:11 PM   #10354
Arizona Ugly I
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulledporky View Post
Question for ya fellows, does anybody know is a 5 gallon bucket handle is galvanized? Was thinking about attaching one to my charcoal basket. What do y'all think?
I hit mine with a propane torch to burn any coating off.
Arizona Ugly I is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2012, 11:26 PM   #10355
Pulledporky
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Air Conditioning View Post
I hit mine with a propane torch to burn any coating off.
Right on! Thanks brother

Old 12-01-2012, 11:56 PM   #10356
Arizona Ugly I
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Right on! Thanks brother
Glad to help. I also did this with the nuts and bolts I used too. I couldnt find stainless so I had to buy coated ones. I installed them and heated them up until they were just steel.

Old 12-02-2012, 12:57 AM   #10357
Pulledporky
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona Air Conditioning View Post
Glad to help. I also did this with the nuts and bolts I used too. I couldnt find stainless so I had to buy coated ones. I installed them and heated them up until they were just steel.
That led me to my next question so thanks again! Probably going to assemble my charcoal basket with
ll the hardware expanded metal and bucket handle then torch the crap out of it with a propane weed burner. Hehe fire fire!

Old 12-02-2012, 10:54 AM   #10358
Napper
On the road to being a farker

Just gave a good friend on mine a "complete" drum setup yesterday for a retirement present. I even gave him a bag of lump charcoal and a torch!!!

We fired it up and it was running 280 degrees when I left. He was already talking about making modifications! I think we have another "Drum Head" in the group.

Sometimes it really is better to give than to receive.
55 gal. drum smokers galore! (All custom built)
Napper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2012, 07:05 PM   #10359
pwa
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmhardie View Post
Thanks for the replies - I did contact the manufacturer and they said its rated NSF 51 (safe to be around, but not in contact with food). Did another burn this weekend and no chemical smell. Based on that and the number of mods I've seen using this product, I'm feeling ok about it.
Exactly that has been post many times in this thread but people are still scared to use it
WIFI Stoker
Custom Trailer Offset

Owner of BurlesQ BBQ shack
BurlesQ BBQ Facebook
BurlesQ BBQ website
pwa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2012, 07:11 PM   #10360
pwa
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by P&Y13738 View Post
Hello, I am new here and found your forum while searching for directions on making a UBS. While I haven't made it all the way through this thread yet, at page 14, I have a question and I haven't come across it yet. I have read that several of you have made various goodies for a New Years party and I would love to do the same. The question is what is the coldest outside air temp any of you have used a UBS? I live in Minnesota and it could be plenty cold even below 0 degrees by that time of year. Well back to more reading.
I've cooked at -50F with and with out insulation, only difference is the amount of fuel used, If you use a Guru or Stoker you really need to close the exuast to about 20% or blast of cold air will drive temp down and take a long time to recover

Here is an old post of mine at -38F

Hope that helps
pwa
WIFI Stoker
Custom Trailer Offset

BurlesQ BBQ Facebook
BurlesQ BBQ website

Old 12-02-2012, 07:56 PM   #10361
Jon David
Knows what a fatty is.

Question, when it comes to drums do they have to be certain type, I have several friends that have auto repair shops and they have some that have held fuel and oil etc so just curious...
Jon David is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2012, 08:09 PM   #10362
Sizzl
Got Wood.

Look on Craigslist for a food grade drum. If not then you can use an automotive drum but you must get it real hot to burn off the toxins before using for cooking.

Sent from my GS3 via Tapatalk 2

Old 12-02-2012, 08:21 PM   #10363
Wh1skey6
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon David View Post
Question, when it comes to drums do they have to be certain type, I have several friends that have auto repair shops and they have some that have held fuel and oil etc so just curious...
Sucks to say but you should read the thread.

If it held a flammable liquid like oil, I would just burn it out.

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-02-2012, 11:01 PM   #10364
Arizona Ugly I
Knows what a fatty is.

You can also buy a gallon of muratic pool acid and pour some in a jar and soak the zinc cover nuts and bolts in that. The acid will take the coating off after a good soak. Ive done that and then hit them with a torch after I washed them.

Quote:
That led me to my next question so thanks again! Probably going to assemble my charcoal basket with
ll the hardware expanded metal and bucket handle then torch the crap out of it with a propane weed burner. Hehe fire fire!

Old 12-03-2012, 12:13 AM   #10365
pwa
is One Chatty Farker

buy an NON food grade drum save you from dealing with a linner, drill the 3 intake air holes and burn it out. Oil drums work just fine just burn them out with a pallet :) I prefer open top salvage drums but oil drums are just fine.

pwa
WIFI Stoker
Custom Trailer Offset

BurlesQ BBQ Facebook
BurlesQ BBQ website

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker