MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-10-2009, 06:16 PM   #3601
Dr_KY
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Just for fun I am going to read this thread again from the begining.

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2009, 01:53 PM   #3602
Coach_Mac
Knows what a fatty is.

Ok, Ive tried puting pictures on here from photobucket and imageshack and neither work. When I upload them it just puts a red x on here. Whats the trick to uploading pics?
Coach_Mac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2009, 03:26 PM   #3603
Retread
On the road to being a farker

Wow, been a long time since I was here..... Family business can sure fill up a few months in a hurry. Well enough of that

UDS Question, anybody run across 60 gallon drums?? I answered a CL post for free drums. These 60 gallon drums have the same ID & OD as a 55 but are 38" tall compared to the 34" height of the 55. Had different flavors of juice in them.

Next week I'll be building a couple more UDS's, one with a weber kettle lid and a flat top. I'm thinking the extra height with the weber lid will allow for 3 cooking grates.
2-UDS's (#3 on the way)
Couple Weber Kettles
Holland Grill Gasser
Home Brewer :grin:
97 & 98 HD FLSTS " Ride Safe"
Retread is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2009, 03:54 PM   #3604
manicmndy
Found some matches.

Hi All
Lone time reader. Short on post.
Just thought I might add my two cents worth. A easy way to mount the thermometer Gage is use a 3/4 nipple mounted just under the grill and a cork from a wine bottle perfect fit. Just drill a hole in the cork and slide the thermometer probe or cable through the cork and fit in the nipples
Also it was mention before, If the dome donor lid is not a good fit use a small ball ping hammer and flatten the rim of the cover. Then set the cover on your drum and slowly work your way around the drum using the hammer to bend the rim over the drum working from side to side. If you still need a better fit use the ring from a removable top, drum to seal the lid and drum. I use a old pair of Vice grips.(Thanks to someone suggestion many posts ago) It maybe a tight fit but you don't have to open it that often.
A easily way to clean the ashes from the bottom of the drum is to buy a cheap ash shovel and bend the shovel end to a 90 degrees angle. Mine cost $3.66 at a local farm store.
I'll try to post pictures not having much luck.
Remember this can be habit forming one or two UDS may not be enough.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100_1681.jpg (35.5 KB, 1195 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1676.jpg (37.9 KB, 1192 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1674.jpg (36.8 KB, 1190 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1678.jpg (39.0 KB, 1192 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1683.jpg (36.6 KB, 1186 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1680.jpg (42.3 KB, 1191 views)
File Type: jpg 100_1685.jpg (57.7 KB, 1192 views)
manicmndy is offline   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->
Old 07-11-2009, 04:43 PM   #3605
Coach_Mac
Knows what a fatty is.

Well, mine is not quite as fancy or well fabricated as most of yours but it sure pumped out some great bbq!

Coach_Mac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2009, 03:40 PM   #3606
spaz815
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

So I did my first Butt this weekend. It turned out pretty good. Along with that I did some Babt Back ribs. They turned out great too. I did get the 18 1/5 Weber lid to work. It worked out great. The question I have is... With the Weber lid does it get hotter than the flat lid that came with the drum. I know a lof of you when cooking you have most of your holes on your lids and UDS opened up the whole way most of the cook. But with the Weber lid on I have to have them all shut a little more than half way. I have 2 holes on the bottom and just the Weber air holes on the lid. My question is does the lid make a difference. It seemed like it ran hotter with the Weber lid. Over 300 with all the vents opened. But with the air holes set it ran about 250 but really couldn't get to go lower and it stay at a steady temp. I was also wondering what to do to get it to run a bit cooler. Should I add more holes or whatever? I forgot to mention its a 30 gal UDS. Also forgot that I held 250 for about 14 hours and at 24 hours it was still at 180 or a little more. At about 19 hours it was at 215 or so. Thanks again to everyone that has gave me great advice!!!!!!!!! I now can not stop BBQing. LOL!!!
spaz815 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-12-2009, 04:39 PM   #3607
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

I started reading this thread from the beginning about three weeks ago and am only on page 70. But I couldn't wait to build me one, so I had to jump in with both feet.

I can not name all of the names of the people on this thread that helped through this process. I just want to say "Thanks to everyone" and everything on this UDS was found on this thread.

It is seasoning now.

My firebox
http://www.richardmparker.com/storag...v1/FireBox.JPG

My intake
http://www.richardmparker.com/storag...s_v1/vent1.JPG

My UDS seasoning
http://www.richardmparker.com/storag...1/Compare3.JPG
Rich Parker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2009, 06:08 PM   #3608
Norcoredneck
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaz815 View Post
So I did my first Butt this weekend. It turned out pretty good. Along with that I did some Babt Back ribs. They turned out great too. I did get the 18 1/5 Weber lid to work. It worked out great. The question I have is... With the Weber lid does it get hotter than the flat lid that came with the drum. I know a lof of you when cooking you have most of your holes on your lids and UDS opened up the whole way most of the cook. But with the Weber lid on I have to have them all shut a little more than half way. I have 2 holes on the bottom and just the Weber air holes on the lid. My question is does the lid make a difference. It seemed like it ran hotter with the Weber lid. Over 300 with all the vents opened. But with the air holes set it ran about 250 but really couldn't get to go lower and it stay at a steady temp. I was also wondering what to do to get it to run a bit cooler. Should I add more holes or whatever? I forgot to mention its a 30 gal UDS. Also forgot that I held 250 for about 14 hours and at 24 hours it was still at 180 or a little more. At about 19 hours it was at 215 or so. Thanks again to everyone that has gave me great advice!!!!!!!!! I now can not stop BBQing. LOL!!!
People have noted temp hotter near vent wheel. How big of a fire basket do you have? With a smaller drum you might need a smaller diameter basket to limit fire and reduce heat. Swamprb has a couple of threads on his smaller drum.

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2009, 05:17 AM   #3609
spaz815

My basket is probably around 17 inches.

Old 07-13-2009, 07:22 AM   #3610
Norcoredneck
somebody shut me the fark up.

17 inches dia. in a 18 1/2" drum seems too big to me. Could be spreading fire instead of burning down through.

The Prontologist is in...
Ok let's see your Butt!
Norcoredneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2009, 07:48 AM   #3611
spaz815

Looking at the Charcoals it does seem to do that. How big do you recommend?

Old 07-13-2009, 09:43 AM   #3612
michiana mark
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Parker View Post
I started reading this thread from the beginning about three weeks ago and am only on page 70. But I couldn't wait to build me one, so I had to jump in with both feet.

I can not name all of the names of the people on this thread that helped through this process. I just want to say "Thanks to everyone" and everything on this UDS was found on this thread.

It is seasoning now.

My firebox
http://www.richardmparker.com/storag...v1/FireBox.JPG

My intake
http://www.richardmparker.com/storag...s_v1/vent1.JPG

My UDS seasoning
http://www.richardmparker.com/storag...1/Compare3.JPG

Congrats, another member to the MI drum corp.

Bubba is our leader, God help us all.

Weber Silver 22.5X2, UDSx2
KCBS-CBJ #16571, Member GLBBQA
Roadmaster BBQ comp team
Proud member of the Blue Thermapen Association
Certified MOINKballer Class of 2008
michiana mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2009, 09:45 AM   #3613
michiana mark
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_KY View Post
Just for fun I am going to read this thread again from the begining.

Nothing better to do in England today? You da man Dr.

Weber Silver 22.5X2, UDSx2
KCBS-CBJ #16571, Member GLBBQA
Roadmaster BBQ comp team
Proud member of the Blue Thermapen Association
Certified MOINKballer Class of 2008
michiana mark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2009, 12:03 PM   #3614
bacardi2001
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CostaRican View Post
I want a weber lid to increase capacity on my UDS. I cant find one anywhere but I was in walmart and saw a uniflame kettle for 40 $. It would be worth it if I could recycle the food and charcoal grate into a 2nd UDS....what do you guys think? Are the parts sturdy enough?
also worked when i did mine

http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j172/bacardi2001/
bacardi2001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2009, 12:17 PM   #3615
bacardi2001
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_congeniality View Post
Thanks to all for the valuable info. Once I realized I didn't need to weld, the rest was easy. Well, to a point. Drill holes, no sweat. A friend found a weber kettle on the sidewalk to be given away. Lip was cut off with no problem. Even the barrel burn went fine after my wife left for the weekend (something to do about now getting caught).

But the thought of the noise, the dust, and the dark (It would be a tight fit in there), just wouldn't cut it. For a minimal amount, I had it sandblasted and powdercoated. My wife just won't go for ugly.

A friend noted it was the best chicken she ever tested. The got her husband riled up and a week later, he issued a throwdown challenge. I guess I'll just have to rough him up...
i would have hidden the kraft bbq sauce.....lol
other then that nice looking grub
bacardi2001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker