MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-18-2013, 09:47 AM   #1
sincitydisciple01
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason
Default Weber mini chimney? I never knew such a thing existed!

The Better Half dragged me to a hoity-toity home furnishing store this weekend. One of those places that sells a $25 rubber spatula with a smile... When going to such places, my focus is two fold: find the grilling (or guy) stuff and DON'T BREAK ANYTHING. So I mosey back to the small corner dedicated to grilling and what do I see? A mini Weber charcoal chimney. I showed it to my wife and she gave a passing "That's cute" on her way to checking out $12 napkin rings.

My knee-jerk reaction was that it was kind of silly. But then figured it would be a good fit for a Smokey Joe where a full sized chimney would be way too much.

Then I started thinking of my drums. I rarely use more than a dozen or so coals to get my drums up and running. When I start the coals, they barely cover the bottom of the chimney. Because of the conical "spring" in the middle of the chimney, I rarely fill the chimney past the point of the "cone". As a result, the coals around the perimeter ignite, but don't exactly ash over.

A smaller chimney may actually work like a charm, but is it a Man Card violation?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chimney2.jpg (30.9 KB, 525 views)
KCBS: 2010
CBJ: 2011
Damn near impossible to lose [COLOR=Lime]BRIGHT GREEN[/COLOR] superfast Thermapen
On Twitter @BigIronBBQ
sincitydisciple01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 11-18-2013, 09:49 AM   #2
aawa
Babbling Farker

Definitely no a man card violation. It is handy when you want to light off small amounts of coals.

I use my regular weber chimney and turn it upside down so the coals are funneled to the middle to light off.

Thanks from: --->
Old 11-18-2013, 09:51 AM   #3
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Nope. They came out with that about a year ago. I can serve a purpose.

Is the bottom still conical on it?

Old 11-18-2013, 09:52 AM   #4
sincitydisciple01
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucornhusker View Post
Nope. They came out with that about a year ago. I can serve a purpose.

Is the bottom still conical on it?
Pretty sure it was.
KCBS: 2010
CBJ: 2011
Damn near impossible to lose [COLOR=Lime]BRIGHT GREEN[/COLOR] superfast Thermapen
On Twitter @BigIronBBQ
sincitydisciple01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2013, 09:57 AM   #5
peeps
somebody shut me the fark up.

It is still conical. I bought one to use when lighting a small bit of coals so they are more tightly packed and light faster than loosely packed coals in the regular version. It also fit inside my mini WSM between the grates when packing it up in the car.
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2013, 10:04 AM   #6
savageford
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aawa View Post
I use my regular weber chimney and turn it upside down so the coals are funneled to the middle to light off.
Brilliant, the answer has been staring right at me. Thank you.
savageford is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2013, 10:06 AM   #7
Diesel Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

No man card violation there. It's a mini for the mini........the right tool for the job.
Any tool is NEVER a violation

Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring ― Marilyn Monroe
Diesel Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2013, 10:09 AM   #8
gtr

I saw one of those over at Phubar's a couple years back and got jealous. When they came out with them over here last year I snapped one up and I use it all the time - great for many applications - it's my go-to for the smaller cookers and minion method cooks. The right tool for the right job is always manly.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2013, 10:19 AM   #9
tnjimbob
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jim H.

I flipped the conical screen over in one my Weber chimneys just to start a few coals for smoking. Works great.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:25 AM   #10
Phubar

Yeah,this one came out quite recently.
Don't understand why Weber came out with these huge starters and didn't come out with the smaller one years ago.
I have mine (different brand) for about 4 years now and that is the one I use the most...for the WGA and UDS'.
Most of the time I only lit 15-20 coals.
I only use the big starter (which is smaller than the big chimney from Weber) if I'm gonna lit 2 BBQs.

Pic stolen...

All fueled by [COLOR=lime]Ecobrasa[/COLOR] Coco Briquettes

*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2011 - 2012*
*[URL="http://lowlandsmokers.blogspot.com/2011/06/lowland-smokers-workshop-hei-en-boeicop.html"]Lowland Smokers[/URL] Dutch BBQ Champion 2013 Low 'n Slow
*WGA Ambassador
Phubar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2013, 10:37 AM   #11
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

That's a great idea. I rarely light more than a dozen coals for my Backwoods.
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA
Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook
Proudly sponsored by Royal Oak Charcoal and The Atlanta BBQ store
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2013, 10:44 AM   #12
sliding_billy

Name/Nickname : )

I like it. Does it sit any closer to the ground than the big one (to get closer to a starter cube)?
sliding_billy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2013, 10:50 AM   #13
peeps

It has similar proportions, so I'm pretty sure. I can take some measurements tonight if you like...
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-18-2013, 10:53 AM   #14
el_matt
Babbling Farker

Congrats on your new tool, I love my mini chimney. It fits down inside my UDS without issue. If you use newspaper to lite the mini, make sure you pour a little cooking oil on the paper. If not, it's a bit difficult to keep it lit.

Matt

Old 11-18-2013, 11:22 AM   #15
rehless
Full Fledged Farker

Recently bought one for camping. Have a fifth wheel rig and weight matters. Will be going to Mexico with me soon.
rehless is offline   Reply With Quote