• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Where's the Ham?

Neil

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
I went searching for Dr. Chicken's Double Smoked Ham Recipie but can't find it anywhere! Can someone please help me here. Looked in our Recipes section and in Q talk but both searches came up empty. I need to make this for Easter Sunday. S O S!!!!

Wow! thats on the "gotta do" list for sure. sounds fantastic. Grade B maple syrup? We have "light" and "medium" here; the light is from the first run and is the premium price but the medium has better flavour IMO. It is darker in colour than the light.
I guess grade B is like medium?

Made one awhile back. Good stuff.

Attachments

• Dr Chicken Ham.JPG
    Dr Chicken Ham.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 98
Looks yummie. I did one with that recipe at christmas and the family raved about it. Hams' pretty cheap now, might do another.

NorthernQ said:
Wow! thats on the "gotta do" list for sure. sounds fantastic. Grade B maple syrup? We have "light" and "medium" here; the light is from the first run and is the premium price but the medium has better flavour IMO. It is darker in colour than the light.
I guess grade B is like medium?

Grade B is "cooking" syrup...at least that's what I found out last time I was in NH, VT area. It's not quite up to pancake/table standards (clarity, color, etc.) so it's graded B.

Basically, use what ya got since I don't think B-grade syrup makes it very far out of the production region.

Thank you Trout. I must be as good at searching for past posts as I am at posting pictures. My family also thanks you for finding this for me. Have a Blessed Easter.

Gonna try this for easter, but have a question on the injection. Do you inject it the night before smoking or just before putting it on the smoker?

hrchdog, the night before is fine, score the ham just before cooking.

Another note if you haven't made this before. The injection is messy and long before you get the 2oz/# into the ham you'll swear it won't hold anymore. Go slowly, and carefully and keep injecting, it's soooo worth the time and effort.

Neil, do you remember your timing thing? Doesn't the ham finish at so many degrees per hour. I don't remember the number, but remember whatever you told me was dead on.

kcquer said:
hrchdog, the night before is fine, score the ham just before cooking.

Another note if you haven't made this before. The injection is messy and long before you get the 2oz/# into the ham you'll swear it won't hold anymore. Go slowly, and carefully and keep injecting, it's soooo worth the time and effort.

Neil, do you remember your timing thing? Doesn't the ham finish at so many degrees per hour. I don't remember the number, but remember whatever you told me was dead on.

What he said. And messy is an understatement. Syrup, Molasses, yeah buddy, messy. It's worth it though.

I can't find rum extract anywhere, what do you suggest for a substitute?

Back