MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:15 AM   #1
bjgamez
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default My first brisket

It was a little dry, and I think I used too much salt in the rub. Overall, I like the way it came out for my first brisket. What you think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0751.jpg (79.1 KB, 91 views)
Front Street Grill, [COLOR="Purple"]Humphrey's Battle Box[/COLOR], Jumbo Old Smokey Grill, (2)Aussie walk-a-bouts, Maverick ET-732, World's Fastest [COLOR="Blue"][B]BLUE[/B][/COLOR] Thermapen & [COLOR="Silver"]Grey[/COLOR] Thermapen
bjgamez is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2013, 11:52 AM   #2
aawa
Babbling Farker

Great looking smoke ring on it. I would definitely hit that.

As for the salt in the rub. I do my brisket with 50/50 mix of coarse ground pepper and salt. When i rub it on the meat, I don't coat it on there. I get a nice even layer on the meat. I dont put a lot on it.

I put on a layer similiar to this picture, if not just a tad bit less.

*picture found on google.*

Old 07-15-2013, 11:54 AM   #3
Teamfour
is Blowin Smoke!

It looks a little undercooked. How did it probe? Was it like buttah? Also cut across the grain and it will chew a little better.

Smokin-n-Style BBQ Team - Pitmaster
Lagniappe Chili Team - Head Cook
KCBS CBJ
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2013, 12:01 PM   #4
bjgamez

My rub was 1/2 cup kosher salt, 1/2 cup coarse ground black pepper, a little cumin, a lit brown sugar.

It probed at 180. I didn't let it sit too long though. Everyone was hungry and didn't want to wait. I normally woulda let it sit in an ice chest wrapped for an hr or so. Thanks for the tips. Any other suggestions?
Front Street Grill, [COLOR="Purple"]Humphrey's Battle Box[/COLOR], Jumbo Old Smokey Grill, (2)Aussie walk-a-bouts, Maverick ET-732, World's Fastest [COLOR="Blue"][B]BLUE[/B][/COLOR] Thermapen & [COLOR="Silver"]Grey[/COLOR] Thermapen

Old 07-15-2013, 12:19 PM   #5
Teamfour
is Blowin Smoke!

If it probed like buttah at 180 IT, you were probably in a fat pocket or between the point and flat. Next time take it to about 195 IT and then probe.

Smokin-n-Style BBQ Team - Pitmaster
Lagniappe Chili Team - Head Cook
KCBS CBJ
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2013, 12:27 PM   #6
oldbill
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjgamez View Post
My rub was 1/2 cup kosher salt, 1/2 cup coarse ground black pepper, a little cumin, a lit brown sugar.

It probed at 180. I didn't let it sit too long though. Everyone was hungry and didn't want to wait. I normally woulda let it sit in an ice chest wrapped for an hr or so. Thanks for the tips. Any other suggestions?
You might try letting it cook to about 195 , then start probing for tenderness. Usually 200 internal is about where it's like butta but not always. Sounds like you have a good rub there, I wouldn't change that personally but we all have different tastes! I use 50/50 salt and pepper with a little garlic and some cayenne for pop. When it probes right, pull it and leave it in the ice chest wrapped for at least an hour, ( I leave mine in for two to three hours). The longer it takes to come down in temp the more connective tissues and fat renders until there's nothing left to hold it together. My briskets wobble on the cutting board before I slice them.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:44 PM   #7
bjgamez

Awesome!!! Thanks for the advice!!! I can't wait to try again!!!

When you guys wrap is it in butcher paper and a towel? Or foil and a towel?

Old 07-15-2013, 01:01 PM   #8
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Dry is under cooked it has to probe like a hot knife cutting room temp butter in the thickest part of the Flat or it aint done.
I wrap mine at the end of the 4th hr in a single layer of butcher paper. it stays wrapped until I carve it. I don't use a Cooler I let it sit on the counter top until the temp drops into the 150's before I unwrap it, this is a slow drop over aprox. 2 hrs.

BBQ RULES FOR SUCCESS

YOU CAN NOT COOK GREAT BBQ ON A CONSISTENT BASIS BY COOKING TO AN INTERNAL TEMPERATURE OR BY TIME ( XXX MIN PER LB) YOU MUST COOK BY FEEL! For Brisket it must pass the poke test(probe like soft butter in the thickest part of the Flat) Ribs pass the Bend Test, Pork Butts when the bone wiggles loose. These are the only reliable methods to ensure that your cook will be a success. There is one exception to these rules and that is Poultry which must achieve and internal temp of 170 deg in the thickest part of the thigh and 165 in the breast.

Thanks from:--->