MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-14-2013, 03:45 PM   #16
bander7003
Full Fledged Farker

Not too long ago I had the same question. Someone told me that you can always use less of your space but you can't use anymore space than what you have. The fire management was basically no different notwithstanding the bigger size. Now I'm glad I got the bigger size.

Klose 24x50 BYC
Backwoods Fatboy
Weber Kettle
[COLOR=blue]Rock Chalk Jayhawk Blue[/COLOR][COLOR=black] Thermapen[/COLOR]
Weber Gasser (out of gas)
bander7003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2013, 03:47 PM   #17
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'd go with the 60 myself, and for smaller cooks have a UDS or something like that around.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2013, 03:49 PM   #18
5string
is one Smokin' Farker

Kind of like choosing between an 18 or 22.5 weber if you could only have one. You know there is a big cook in your future.

Old 06-14-2013, 04:24 PM   #19
ajstrider
is One Chatty Farker

While I don't have the Lang, when it comes to smokers, I like the "Pick out which one you think will be the right size, then buy the next size up". So maybe you should pick the 60 and get the 84?

I would get the 60 if you think you might want it. Spending more money up front on something that will last a lifetime to get some extra future room is money well spent to me.

Old 06-14-2013, 04:25 PM   #20
Rippp
Got Wood.

If even think you need the 60, go with the 60. I contemplated the 36 and the 48, opted for the 48 and I'm glad I did. I now sometimes wonder if I should have gotten the 60, but the 48 is fine for cooking for the neighborhood. Let's put it this way, you're already invested. If you decide to upgrade to the 60 later, it'll cost you a lot more. It's easier to spend a little more now for what you want than a lot more later for what you need. Enjoy!!!!

Old 06-14-2013, 05:22 PM   #21
NorthernMN
On the road to being a farker

Go with the bigger one have you ever heard yourself say you wish you had less room in the smoker?
NorthernMN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2013, 05:28 PM   #22
jmoney7269
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbeef24 View Post
Im trying to decide whether to go with a 48 or 60 lang smoker. What do you think? Will I kick myself if I dont go with the 60?

Thanks,
Bigbeef24

Big Pappa UDS
If you decided on the 48 get the 60. The old wise tale is true. " find the size of the BBQ pit you want, then get the next larger one" having extra smoke space is nice and you won't regret it. You will find ways to fill up the big one also.
jmoney7269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2013, 05:35 PM   #23
OutlawSwine
is one Smokin' Farker

Bigger is better.

Old 06-14-2013, 05:51 PM   #24
BBQ_MAFIA
somebody shut me the fark up.

I don't subscribe to the, "Always go bigger philosophy'. I think you should go with what you will need with an eye to future cooks. If you think you will be cooking for bigger groups go with the bigger cooker. I my case I don't by my cookers my wife does.

The Lang 60 is a great cooker and should fit your needs as long as you don't plan on cooking for very large crowds or cooking larger Hogs. The 84 is a beast. Although I love my 84 it doesn't get used half as much as my 60. Don't forget with these cookers you will need to have a lot of space for them to live, especially if you by the trailer models. You should also be aware that the 84 is substantially larger then the 60. Some may not agree with this, but I have both and keep them side by side.

I can't speak to the 48 but I'm sure it is a great size for cooking in the backyard.

Good luck and let us know what you end up doing.

Lang 60
Lang 84 Deluxe Warmer with Chargrill
Large Spicewine
Large BGE
XL - BGE
Med. BGE ( Bought it for my son Vincenzo)
Brinkman Snp
Brinkman ECB
GOSM
Weber Kettle
Kenmore Elite Gasser
Camp Chef Outdoor Stove
Blackstone Pizza Oven
Blackstone 36" Griddle
1-Banjo
BBQ_MAFIA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2013, 06:03 PM   #25
buttburnersbbq
Full Fledged Farker

Go for the 84 . You always have to go even bigger . you will be happy

Old 06-14-2013, 09:19 PM   #26
BBQ Bandit
Babbling Farker

Have owned, cooked, ran out of room for all three; a 48 patio, a 60 mobile, and 84 Deluxe Kitchen.
Had to upgrade due to limited space (for larger charity cooks).

A 48 - can cook 100 lbs/12 butts easily.
A 60 - have cooked 24 butts loaded (with a full width upper shelf).
A 84 - have cooked 40 butts/300 lbs.

The 60 can handle a 100 lb. pig (with the upper shelf removed).

Had bought all three off craigslist (used) - strictly to reduce the initial financial impact.

Former smokers;
Lang 84 Deluxe kitchen, Lang 60 Mobile - The Damsel II, Lang 48 Patio - The Damsel, Bubba Keg Grill - RIP, Double Barrel Smoker and a BSKD
BBQ Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2013, 09:23 PM   #27
bbqwilly
Babbling Farker

I would PM TuscaloosaQ and see what he can do.

I know that you can get a smoker from him that is the same as the 84, but has the price of a 60.
bbqwilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2013, 08:22 AM   #28
Mahoney86
Full Fledged Farker

I was in the same boat as you about a month ago. I was back and fourth between the 48 and the 60. I was eventually dead set on the 60. I ended up getting a great deal on an 84. As BBQ Mafia said, sometimes bigger isn't always better. The 84 is HUGE, but at the same time I like knowing that I have the option of putting on a lot more meat and I don't need to worry about upgrading very soon because its too small. I upgraded 3 cookers in a year due to needed more size. After all those upgrades I could have bought something very nice, so this time around I wanted to make sure I got something that I would not need to upgrade from for a long time
Mahoney86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-2013, 10:46 AM   #29
bigbeef24
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks for the feedback. What helped me make my decision is space and that I dont need to buy a truck right now. Great insight when I go to buy the next model up in a couple of years.
bigbeef24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2013, 01:33 AM   #30
Wags05
Knows what a fatty is.

I just acquired a 48 original (no pics still working on that). Plenty of room for me, my family, my wife's family and several neighbors. Able to fit 7 baby backs, 2 eight # butts, 2 fatties and a large foil pan of mac and cheese. Still had room to spare. Either way you go - it'll look good in your driveway!
Wags05 is offline   Reply With Quote