MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 01-17-2006, 07:10 PM   #1
wsm
Full Fledged Farker

Default County Fair & BBQ Contest, Columbia, 07/28-07/29

anyone know anythiing aaobut this contest?

they say they already have their fill of judges. VERY STRANGE

KCBS CBJ
WSM slightly modded, Weber Performer, Smokey Joe Gold, Whatever is handy
wsm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2006, 08:02 PM   #2
smokincracker
is one Smokin' Farker

The hottest place on the face of this earth.
I thought FL was Hot.
Man I was drippin gravy.
Flew out to that contest last year and had a blast with Belly Bros & the Spicewine crew.
Great contest.
I can't tell you about the judges situation.
smokincracker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2006, 08:35 PM   #3
spicewine
Babbling Farker

Rich: This is a hot ticket!!! The Best of the Best have come through here.Johnny Trigg , Josh & Tom, Great Grills-O-Fire ( American Royal Invitational Champ 2005 ) 3 Men & a Pig ect. ect ect. You have to be on a "Who's Who list to be a judge at this contest!! I know the promoter, I will see if I can get you squeezed in on next years judging staff.Spice

SPICEWINE IRONWORKS
Award Winning Smokers, Sauces and Spices
Columbia Missouri
www.spicewineironworks.com
PERFECT 180 CHICKEN 2011

1ST. PLACE PORK
AMERICAN ROYAL (OPEN) 2012

PERFECT SCORE180 IN RIBS 2013

BEST SAUCE IN THE WORLD ( BLUE COLLAR )
AMERICAN ROYAL 2009 & 2017

BEST RUB IN THE WORLD ( HEFFER DUST )
AMERICAN ROYAL 2007
MOFO Chapter
CISC Master BBQ Chef
spicewine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2006, 08:58 PM   #4
Solidkick
somebody shut me the fark up.

Yep, that's how we pulled out a 1st in pork, we knew the "Who's Who list".........just kidding......the pay out could be better, but it is a state championship and AR qualifier, so it generally draws a few big names....this is Jay's and our backyard and I think we feel more pressure to do well in this contest.....but it don't stop us from having a good time....look for us to be side by side again this year....

As far as the judges....the annual Boone County Fair ham breakfast is held in the morning, quite a drawing card of celebs, and some CBJs....

------------------------------------------------
Belly Brothers BBQ Team

"Sister Flame" Spicewine Trailer Smoker,Modified Bandera, Uni-Flame Chicken Cooker with a Spicewine Thermometer mod,Kingsford Barrel cooker and a super fast RED thermapen

KC always said "fat cap up!!
Solidkick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2006, 11:04 PM   #5
Jeff_in_KC

I have this one on my schedule. And I know Wayne is considering it. Gary or Jay, how many teams were in this last year? It didn't seem overly large but then again, I was sweating profusely so who the heck knows? I think my brain was steamed!
KCBS Member #14287
Jeff_in_KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2006, 07:52 AM   #6
spicewine
Babbling Farker

I think there were about 48 teams last year and you are right , it was 102 in the shade

SPICEWINE IRONWORKS
Award Winning Smokers, Sauces and Spices
Columbia Missouri
www.spicewineironworks.com
PERFECT 180 CHICKEN 2011

1ST. PLACE PORK
AMERICAN ROYAL (OPEN) 2012

PERFECT SCORE180 IN RIBS 2013

BEST SAUCE IN THE WORLD ( BLUE COLLAR )
AMERICAN ROYAL 2009 & 2017

BEST RUB IN THE WORLD ( HEFFER DUST )
AMERICAN ROYAL 2007
MOFO Chapter
CISC Master BBQ Chef
spicewine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2006, 09:14 AM   #7
kcpellethead
Full Fledged Farker

There were 41 teams at this event last year. "Hot" is an understatement.

The reason Mike McMillen says he's full on judges is because he does not want CBJ's at his event. He uses his judging seats to reward those that contribute or help him with that event.

If I do everything half ass, how can I be a "full fledged" anything?
kcpellethead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2006, 11:50 AM   #8
wsm
Full Fledged Farker

Brings up the question - Do cooks want to be judged by CBJs??

KCBS CBJ
WSM slightly modded, Weber Performer, Smokey Joe Gold, Whatever is handy
wsm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2006, 01:59 PM   #9
Jeff_in_KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsm
Brings up the question - Do cooks want to be judged by CBJs??
In my limited experience, I'd say probably a good split of 50/50 works well. However, it seems to me that it is up to the organizer how he or she chooses to go with this issue. If cooks prefer it differently, I suppose they won't compete in that contest. Columbia seemed to me to be an outstanding contest regardless of where the judges came from.
KCBS Member #14287

Old 01-18-2006, 07:07 PM   #10
smokincracker
is one Smokin' Farker

[QUOTE=
The reason Mike McMillen says he's full on judges is because he does not want CBJ's at his event. He uses his judging seats to reward those that contribute or help him with that event.[/QUOTE]
Wow
Never considered that a organizer would do that.
smokincracker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2006, 07:35 PM   #11
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

I'd say probably a good split of 50/50 works well.

Jeff,
I am really curious as to how you came up with that observation.
Would a Police Dept, Fire Dept, Retail Store, or Hospital with 50% trained officers (or employees) and 50% political appointees work well?????
That would be interesting.

When I am cooking, I like to think I have trained and practiced as hard as I can to do my best.
When I am Judging, I like to think I have trained diligently and try to do the best I can with a full understanding of the rules.
When I am cooking, I hope the Judges have trained diligently like I have and also try to do their best.
When I am Judging, I like to eat and score the product of those who have trained and practiced to do their best.

To me, non-certified judges are a fact of life since we can not field enough trained judges. But, only after the pool of judges fails to meet the requirments, not as a matter of policy.

But, that is just "silly ole me".

TIM
Just sold Yoder YS640 due health
New Ninja Woodfired Grill for Christmas 2023
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2006, 08:42 PM   #12
kcquer
Lives in Spirit

With non trained judges, you're less sure what they're looking for. To a non certified judge, a slice of brisket that we would consider perfectly done, is probably not quite done and a little tough yet.
I think Phil ran into this problem with non certified judges near the end of the season this year.
Having judges that are looking for what we are shooting for is surely the desired model of a good event, not having celebrity judges.
kcquer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2006, 09:24 PM   #13
Jeff_in_KC

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Kapn
I'd say probably a good split of 50/50 works well.

Jeff,
I am really curious as to how you came up with that observation.
Would a Police Dept, Fire Dept, Retail Store, or Hospital with 50% trained officers (or employees) and 50% political appointees work well?????
That would be interesting.

When I am cooking, I like to think I have trained and practiced as hard as I can to do my best.
When I am Judging, I like to think I have trained diligently and try to do the best I can with a full understanding of the rules.
When I am cooking, I hope the Judges have trained diligently like I have and also try to do their best.
When I am Judging, I like to eat and score the product of those who have trained and practiced to do their best.

To me, non-certified judges are a fact of life since we can not field enough trained judges. But, only after the pool of judges fails to meet the requirments, not as a matter of policy.

But, that is just "silly ole me".

TIM
Like I said, Tim... my limited experience. I just seem to recall a couple of people at a contest mentioning that from what they understood that there were about equal numbers of certified and non-certified judges and they agreed that was good. Maybe that was from a perspective of having been in contests where there were few, if any, certified judges and 50/50 was good comparatively speaking. But I'm not sure that you need to be certified to do a good job as a judge. Before you point out the inconsistencies and the fact that it is a crap shoot to have a lot of non CBJ's, I just want to say that there are a lot of people out there who may have been associated with BBQ, BBQ teams, contests and even the KCBS and therefore have at least some idea of what it is they're supposed to be doing as a judge. However, I guess being in the heart of KCBS's home, it's conceiveably more likely that there will be "qualified non-certified" judges available than in areas of the country where BBQ is less popular or where contests haven't become an every weekend occurance like they have here.
KCBS Member #14287

Old 01-18-2006, 09:29 PM   #14
kcpellethead
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokincracker
Wow
Never considered that a organizer would do that.
Niether would I, but I got that info straight from the horse's mouth when he rep'd the contest in Glascow, MO the following weekend. But, something else that isn't known about this event .. . . in the past couple years, he raffles off the left over meat in the turn-in containers to the judges between categories.

If I do everything half ass, how can I be a "full fledged" anything?
kcpellethead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2006, 10:06 PM   #15
BrooklynQ
Banned

Now why is this contest so popular with the big guns?
BrooklynQ is offline   Reply With Quote