MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-17-2008, 08:32 AM   #16
cardiac_cadet002
is one Smokin' Farker

I'll have to vote UDS. I'm sure you will have no problem building it since you are an avid woodworker. I don't own a WSM, but I don't doubt that it produces good que, as does the UDS. IMO, you would enjoy the UDS better simply for the fact that you built it, and you made good que on it.
Old Country BBQ Pits Smokehouse
36" Blackstone Griddle

1 U.T. Orange Thermapen
cardiac_cadet002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2008, 08:36 AM   #17
tntitan
On the road to being a farker

why spend the money to let the wsm sit build the uds it wont be your last i cook on mine in comps also

Old 01-17-2008, 08:52 AM   #18
Dale P
is One Chatty Farker

UDS are great but if you dont want to build one a WSM is the best choice for smoking with a $300 budget imho. If you want to play with fire and you dont want to spend much money, the Chargriller with sidebox is the one to get. It is a great grill, warmer, and smoker. I have owned both the WSM, and the chargriller. Both are great. The WSM is better for overnight cooks if you want to sleep. No question about that, but I am more than happy with my cheap chargriller. Since getting the Spicewine, I didnt need the WSM so I loaned it to my nephew, but he aint getting my CGer. All the info in this thread is good, you cant go wrong with any of it.

For about $375-$400 you can buy both the WSM and the CGer.
good luck.

Perry Brothers & Sons Bar-B-Q
Dale P is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2008, 08:53 AM   #19
CrackerJack from KC
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smooookin View Post
If you followed the thread about the XXL UDS, I built that in less than a full day. A regular UDS just takes a few hours and minimal tools. Besides, If you decide to do one, I know an avid woodworker that would be willing to help out. :D
Thanks for the offer.

I might just have to go UDS. So where is the best place to get the Drums in KC, or is Drum hunting part of the process?

You guys definately have me thinking.
Traeger 070
Stoker
Worlds Fastest "Green" Thermapen

"Not a competition cook, just a guy who loves eating and cooking Q."
CrackerJack from KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2008, 09:04 AM   #20
Smokin Gator
Babbling Farker

I cannot disagree with anything that has been posted... I have a WSM and 2 UDSs and I love to cook on them all. Two points... do not be intimidated about building a UDS if I can do it anyone can. The only tools involved are a drill and maybe a wire brush.

Also, there is a bit of difference in the taste of the food on the UDS. Since you are cooking direct and the fat drips on the coals you get what I call the old time flavor of Q. I prefer that most of the time.

Best of luck with your decision... I don't think you will go wrong either way.

Medium Amazin' Blue Spicewine - It's a Swamp Thing
UDS
Large BGE - Adopted
Medium BGE - Adopted
Weber 22 inch w/mods
Weber SJP
Stoker
Weber Genesis Silver C Gasser
Constant wood lurker
FBA CBJ
Smokin Gator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2008, 09:14 AM   #21
Harbormaster
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Clark

I love my WSMs. Have thought about building a UDS, but I want to use my barrel to build a retort first.
To answer your other question, a WSM does not require mods out of the box, but you will find that you will want to add a thermometer to either the dome or the center section, and for a couple of bucks I'd add handles to the center section too. Also, pick up a charcoal grate from an 18.5 inch Weber kettle to place on the stock WSM charcoal grate (turned 90 degrees) as it helps to keep charoal from falling into the ash bowl too soon.
Brinkman Cimmaron.
"For when democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote"
Harbormaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2008, 09:27 AM   #22
butts a fire
is one Smokin' Farker

As far as a smoker goes I think it all depends on what you are looking for since you have the 2 electric smokers and are looking to possibly play with fire a Bandera might be what you are looking for. If you still want a more hands off smoker than a WSM or UDS might be right up your alley.

By the way I have a Bandera that I am selling if you are interested shoot me a PM.

Here is a link to some pictures of it http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...hlight=Bandera

NB Bandera, Webber Kettle, Backwoods Party, Large BGE

Last edited by butts a fire; 01-17-2008 at 09:31 AM.. Reason: add link
butts a fire is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2008, 09:49 AM   #23
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackerJack from KC View Post
My issues with building a UDS is that I once built a Cyclone Dust Collector (for my other hobby woodworking), and althought it works great, I would not wish that level of effort on anyone.
Sorry, but I'm kind of laughing here. Anyone else sense any contradiction here? I love working with tools, but I don't want to work with tools?

Maybe I misunderstood and it's not the tool part, it was the detailed design and working through issues to get the dust collector to work at optimum performance. If so, the UDS should be a breeze in comparison.

Either way, no offense - just wondering if anyone else got a chuckle out of that.
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2008, 10:31 AM   #24
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

You could buy a WSM for $200-220 even with free shipping if you look hard enough.
On your budget you could do both. The WSM certainly isn't a default smoker. I love mine. Great smoker, efficient as hell, and makes some great Q. You won't regret it.
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2008, 10:57 AM   #25
CrackerJack from KC
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC_Bobby View Post
Sorry, but I'm kind of laughing here. Anyone else sense any contradiction here? I love working with tools, but I don't want to work with tools?

Maybe I misunderstood and it's not the tool part, it was the detailed design and working through issues to get the dust collector to work at optimum performance. If so, the UDS should be a breeze in comparison.

Either way, no offense - just wondering if anyone else got a chuckle out of that.
Its the metal I don't like to work with. Don't much like working with really hard woods either. (purpleheart is a pain to work with, splinters like metal)
Traeger 070
Stoker
Worlds Fastest "Green" Thermapen

"Not a competition cook, just a guy who loves eating and cooking Q."
CrackerJack from KC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2008, 11:10 AM   #26
smooookin
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrackerJack from KC View Post
Its the metal I don't like to work with. Don't much like working with really hard woods either. (purpleheart is a pain to work with, splinters like metal)
you have a pm. I know where I can hook ya up.

Old 01-17-2008, 11:45 AM   #27
pigpen269
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by butts a fire View Post
As far as a smoker goes I think it all depends on what you are looking for since you have the 2 electric smokers and are looking to possibly play with fire a Bandera might be what you are looking for. If you still want a more hands off smoker than a WSM or UDS might be right up your alley.

By the way I have a Bandera that I am selling if you are interested shoot me a PM.

Here is a link to some pictures of it http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...hlight=Bandera
I'll buy your bandera from you. I sent you a PM.
pigpen269 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2008, 11:57 AM   #28
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Wow! What a comprehensive thread! We have hookups via PM and Bandera's being sold

CrackerJack... Lots to think about. I haven't built a UDS yet but it's on my list of things to do. I have two WSMs, an Egg and a large Good One smoker. I use them all depending on my mood and what I want to cook. If I am cooking for a party or to restock the freezer then the Good One get fired up since it can hold a ton of food (I've done three butts, two packers, four fatties, a pan of beans, abts, cheesy bread and 9 slabs of ribs at once and had room left. For long cooks it's either the WSM or the Egg (probably the Egg since it is new ) and for grilling it's the Egg. I'd suggest that you look at how much you want to cook at one time and how much time you want to spend doing it. Both the UDS and the WSM fit your budget and both are easy to use. The WSM is a proven entity so it may be a better place to start. The UDS has been used successfully by a lot of Brethren, but it can take some tuning to get it right. It just depends on how much tinkering you want to do.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2008, 05:29 PM   #29
Dr_KY
Quintessential Chatty Farker

With all parts in hand a UDS can be built in less than two hours.

`Clean drum with lid
`4 stainless nuts,washers and bolts
`grill
`hand drill and bit. step drill bit or hole saw
`Ball valve

It really is that easy unless like me you want to do it on the fun/cheap side and try and find as many parts for free as you can .

You can't go wrong giving it a try and for very little money if it's not for you then no real money has been lost and you can turn the drum into a recycle bin for your wood cut offs.

Slappin that bass like some delerious funky preist!!!

UDS, Half Pint (Mini UDS), Weber, ProQ 20, Kegrilla
*250 gallon cooker- 'The Meat Beast!!'*

British BBQ Championships
Grand Champion 2008
~~~~
British BBQ Society - Southern Championship
Grand Champions 2009
Dr_KY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2008, 05:55 PM   #30
Greendriver
is One Chatty Farker

I ain't gonna have nothing ugly in my back yard, front yard, or anywhere else if I can help it, unless it's my truck or my dead grass from the drought. A UDS is not for this boy and besides I have not seen where they are very versatile anyway. If you had one wouldn't you also need a good grill?

Blog - Carpet Capitol Living
Greendriver is offline   Reply With Quote