MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:49 PM   #11101
JackandStacey
Got Wood.

Okay this should be the last time you guys ever see this drum "ugly". Tomorrow my stainless drum starts its transformation. This is going to be an ugly drum smoker/ grill. I figure since I won't have to worry about burning paint I might as well make it a grill as well. I'm thinking some sort crank, cable and pulleys like those expensive grills use to raise the charcoal grate.
JackandStacey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2013, 10:06 PM   #11102
DriverWild
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SavageQ View Post
Hey! I'm the "guy at Home Depot" and i read these threads. lol Some of us you can trust to know what you need.
You would be the exception to the rule. Sorry but it's true

Old 07-17-2013, 12:03 AM   #11103
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackandStacey View Post
Okay this should be the last time you guys ever see this drum "ugly". Tomorrow my stainless drum starts its transformation. This is going to be an ugly drum smoker/ grill. I figure since I won't have to worry about burning paint I might as well make it a grill as well. I'm thinking some sort crank, cable and pulleys like those expensive grills use to raise the charcoal grate.
Awesome, I was thinking the same thing about adjustable charcoal grate with crank.. hasty-bake meets UDS kinda thing but better than hasty-bake because it's airtight and controlled better--and more efficient.

Old 07-17-2013, 03:27 AM   #11104
BobBill
Knows what a fatty is.

Please post the progress.

I, for one, will be watching. I have the same idea. Dual use, but it comes with some difficulty. The basket, with its base, can be somewhat heavy empty. Add char and wood, the weight increases...

Maybe simple is best...I have three alternatives, neither is neat.

One is to drill four holes at point near top where the basket will be close enough (crosswise), to grille with grate near top to hold coals near cook surface grate, maybe using orig Weber coal grate...the holes must be large enough to run either steel rod or some rebar through to support basket...and can be removed and the holes sealed with bolts and washers. Uneven bars can use U-clamps to even somewhat.

Or, craft long-legged rebar support platform of sorts to place in bbl, same results...but no holes in bbl. Just drop it in place...but more yard clutter.

Or use straps curled about edge to support platform and coal basket, if top will allow it.

Cranks and so on in side well-used bbl seems to be begging to constant care...

All in all, good idea to have alternative that is Weber-like, particularly if some in household prefer grilled over smoked, which is what I have encountered.

It is just after a time, smoked gets to be too much for some and I can understand that, as much as I like it...and meat is getting very spendy, isn't it?
BobBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-17-2013, 07:25 AM   #11105
dbq
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqgeekess View Post
Awesome, I was thinking the same thing about adjustable charcoal grate with crank.. hasty-bake meets UDS kinda thing but better than hasty-bake because it's airtight and controlled better--and more efficient.
Set a concrete block in the bottom and put the basket on top of it,simple and cheap.

Old 07-17-2013, 09:34 AM   #11106
BobBill
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbq View Post
Set a concrete block in the bottom and put the basket on top of it,simple and cheap.
You mean 3-4 blocks to get basket high enough? Not arguing. If it works for someone, fine...either way, it does require some crafting. Maybe simple, in this case, not the best, but what the hey?

Old 07-17-2013, 10:22 AM   #11107
SmokinJohn
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBill View Post
I would say, simple is best. Smoking stuff is not rocket science. If a simple convection system works, that is goal, but experiments are fun too.
Smoking "stuff" is an art, otherwise everyone would and could do it....

Old 07-17-2013, 10:46 AM   #11108
BobBill
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokinJohn View Post
Smoking "stuff" is an art, otherwise everyone would and could do it....
You jest? I suppose making chile, meatloaf and coffee are also "art-worthy?" Everybody is a pro...doncha know?

Old 07-17-2013, 12:09 PM   #11109
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Default Expanded Metal Grates

I am thinking about buying a 3/4" diamond 9 guage 4' x 8' sheet of expanded metal (carbon steel flat/smooth) for $67 including tax and 3 cuts (so I can fit it in the car).

I'd need about half of this ( 2 x 2'x4' pieces) to make 3 grates and the charcoal basket. So we're talking around $34 for the grates and basket.

Do you think I should go this route? Or go with the cheap 22" weber grates. I need 3 grates (2 for cooking and 1 for diffuser).

I don't ever see the expanded metal grates rusting because it's all low temperature and they should stay seasoned their entire life I'd think.

How hard is it to bend 9 guage expanded metal for the fire basket? The basket will be about 14" in diameter. Should I use a lighter gauge expanded metal for the charcoal basket?

Old 07-17-2013, 02:04 PM   #11110
BobBill
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqgeekess View Post
I am thinking about buying a 3/4" diamond 9 guage 4' x 8' sheet of expanded metal (carbon steel flat/smooth) for $67 including tax and 3 cuts (so I can fit it in the car).

I'd need about half of this ( 2 x 2'x4' pieces) to make 3 grates and the charcoal basket. So we're talking around $34 for the grates and basket.

Do you think I should go this route? Or go with the cheap 22" weber grates. I need 3 grates (2 for cooking and 1 for diffuser).

I don't ever see the expanded metal grates rusting because it's all low temperature and they should stay seasoned their entire life I'd think.

How hard is it to bend 9 guage expanded metal for the fire basket? The basket will be about 14" in diameter. Should I use a lighter gauge expanded metal for the charcoal basket?
I was lucky, given the basket...but did some minor work with light expanded steel. Miserable to deal with, really. If going to do over, I would find some expanded steel, long and light, bends (easier) around something right size, and bolt it together...then add pizza pan bottom, least that seems easy, but if you have the patience, review this thread because there is some excellent advice here, lots of it, IMHO.

Old 07-18-2013, 04:49 PM   #11111
Jerkeejoe
Found some matches.

Finished my first UDS a few days ago (my first smoker of any kind). I've got a 10lb butt in the fridge ready for smoking this weekend. Wish me luck on my maiden voyage.

ETA: Post #11111 in this thread. :)

Jerkeejoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-18-2013, 06:51 PM   #11112
CarlBQ
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Hey guys,
I'm beginning to look around for a drum to build one of these and had a question.
How important is it that the drum be food grade if it's certified reconditioned?
The drum I'm targeting has no liner and is unpainted, so I'm thinking it'll make my life a little easier not having to sand down, or worry about removing a liner.
A burn off will still be necessary though.
Thanks for the help.

Carl
CarlBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2013, 03:36 AM   #11113
mr_magicfingers

Hi folks,

I'm a novice to BBQ and looking to build a UDS. I'm about 110 pages into the thread so far :) I have a closed top barrel that held clean 10/40w motor oil that I intend to burn out and clean. I was looking for a lid when this weekend my girlfriend decided we needed a bigger bbq to cater for family that are staying next week so I now have a weber kettle for both bbq and to top the smoker.

I'm finding it hard to get hold of the heavier guage expanded metal lath locally but found this at my local hardware store. It's a cover for a gas boiler outlet and looks to be ideal to make a charcoal basket out of, though it's probably smaller than most of the others in use. It's 11"x11" square and 10.5" high, do you think this would hold enough charcoal for a decent burn or do I need to get something larger?

Progress pics as I get it built.

Also, any suggestions on recipes for the first few goes at this? I've only ever grilled on a bbq, this low and slow is a new exploration.
mr_magicfingers is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2013, 06:40 AM   #11114
CarlBQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerkeejoe View Post
Finished my first UDS a few days ago (my first smoker of any kind). I've got a 10lb butt in the fridge ready for smoking this weekend. Wish me luck on my maiden voyage.

ETA: Post #11111 in this thread. :)

Looks really nice. I'll probably end up getting a Big Poppa kit as well for my build.
Good job. Be sure to share your first cook with us

Carl
CarlBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2013, 11:31 AM   #11115
JackandStacey
Got Wood.

After 3 days, I finally got the intakes drilled. Man stainless is a PITA to drill. I went with 2x3/4" nipples and 1x1" nipple. I'm going Fat man mod version 1. Everything is stainless so far and I'm trying to keep it that way. Just need someone to scrap the SS expanded metal.

JackandStacey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker