MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-04-2013, 10:51 PM   #16
uncblue
Full Fledged Farker

@ Chuckl - I bought the vision stone from Home Depot for I think $49. Works great and sits lower than the lip. I've only had it 2 mths and the metal bracket does show some rust but that area gets super heated. For pizzas, I leave lava stone on deflector in bottom and do a 2ns stone up on 2nd tier of rack. Works great....

Old 07-04-2013, 11:43 PM   #17
chuckl
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EWizza View Post
I grabbed to hot rolled flats of steel and bent them for the base. Then, I bought a 15" pizza pan to sit on top of the steel. Works like a charm and the total cost was < $25
Did you use a metal pizza pan? I need something quick, the wife and daughter want ribs Monday.

Chuck
chuckl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-05-2013, 07:29 PM   #18
chuckl
Found some matches.

I picked one up today, now I just need to fix up a plate setter.

Old 07-05-2013, 11:01 PM   #19
uncblue
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckl View Post
I picked one up today, now I just need to fix up a plate setter.
Congrats. I went back today & got the price adjustment. Now if I only I could figure out a way to get the small Kub without having to drive all the way to Maryland 8-(

Old 07-09-2013, 08:28 PM   #20
chuckl
Found some matches.

I've done ribs and ribeye roast on the grill and find it extremely hard to maintain temperature. I have a BGE in Florida so I do know how to run one. I use a Party Q to control temperature, but because of air leaks around the bottom vent, it is very difficult to maintain temperature. On the BGE, it does a wonderful job. I guess more experimenting is in order.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:57 PM   #21
uncblue
Full Fledged Farker

Can u see a black rubber seal around your bottom vent? Maybe I got lucky as mine is airtight. I can see the seal budging out from being tight. Guess easiest way to check how much airless u have us to close off both vents. If it still burns, you're not sealed. I've read on other forums that people put a bead of silicon around the bottom vent.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:37 PM   #22
slammmed
Full Fledged Farker

man im really torn on this grill at $400. I could probably sell my WSM 18" for $100 plus ive got a weber Q for sale but don't know if I could get the wife to let me invest in yet another grill.

if only she could be more into pizza or something hmm...
slammmed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2013, 11:55 AM   #23
EWizza
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckl View Post
Did you use a metal pizza pan? I need something quick, the wife and daughter want ribs Monday.

Chuck
I did. I got the pan at bedbathandbeyond.
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...p?SKU=16794104

Old 07-10-2013, 11:58 AM   #24
EWizza
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncblue View Post
Can u see a black rubber seal around your bottom vent? Maybe I got lucky as mine is airtight. I can see the seal budging out from being tight. Guess easiest way to check how much airless u have us to close off both vents. If it still burns, you're not sealed. I've read on other forums that people put a bead of silicon around the bottom vent.
Thought mine was sealed tight but I did decide to use some RTV silicone to seal the bottom vent. I get much better control now. I used the copper 700F RTV sealant.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:04 PM   #25
slammmed
Full Fledged Farker

I think I've committed on friday to picking one of these up if still available on friday.

Has anyone use an ATC on one of these?

Old 07-10-2013, 12:09 PM   #26
EWizza
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slammmed View Post
I think I've committed on friday to picking one of these up if still available on friday.

Has anyone use an ATC on one of these?
I have a partyQ that I have used on this and it worked like a charm. The temps stayed pretty consistent but it does burn a lot more fuel.

Last overnight smoke I did I skipped the partyQ and just set the vents. I relied on my maverick to let me know if the temp was off - got no alarms and grill was @ 225 when I got up.

But yes, the 'Q worked well the times I have used it.

Old 07-10-2013, 12:17 PM   #27
Drunk Monkey
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Drunk Monkey

Some good info in this thread

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=133568

Old 07-10-2013, 01:45 PM   #28
Moose
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Richard

I just picked mine up on Sunday. Here's pics:

I have to say, I was really impressed with the quality of this Kamado, in every respect, including how well it was packed. Of course the proof is in the pudding and I'll know for sure when I put it through its paces, but from what I can see, even $599 seems to be a great deal on this, and at $399, it's beyond a steal.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2013, 01:53 PM   #29
slammmed
Full Fledged Farker

man that's a purdy grill!

Old 07-10-2013, 04:26 PM   #30
TTNuge
Full Fledged Farker

Any idea if these are still on sale? Won't get back from vacation until next week unfortunately.