MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:06 PM   #16
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagokp View Post
Ok, now I am hanging for some Indian food. Looks great! Always love seeing what you make!
I lived in Chicago for several years (moved in 2006) and miss the Indian restos. Houston has mediocre Indian/Pakistani restos. You, sir, have the luxury of having awesome Indian and Pakistani food close by. Aside from places on Devon and some in the Western 'burbs, for an adventure try these 2 in the city:

Baba's Palace @ 334 West Chicago

Pakizah @ 1011 North Orleans

Both are somewhat divey, but Baba's is the more "upscale" of the 2 in relative terms. Both are open 24/7 and cater mainly to cab drivers. The food at both is kinda greasy spoon type fare, but oh so good! If you're taking the wife and kids then Baba's is the better choice and I would go during the daytime.
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 01-15-2013, 08:07 PM   #17
chicagokp
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliking View Post
I lived in Chicago for several years (moved in 2006) and miss the Indian restos. Houston has mediocre Indian/Pakistani restos. You, sir, have the luxury of having awesome Indian and Pakistani food close by. Aside from places on Devon and some in the Western 'burbs, for an adventure try these 2 in the city:

Baba's Palace @ 334 West Chicago

Pakizah @ 1011 North Orleans

Both are somewhat divey, but Baba's is the more "upscale" of the 2 in relative terms. Both are open 24/7 and cater mainly to cab drivers. The food at both is kinda greasy spoon type fare, but oh so good! If you're taking the wife and kids then Baba's is the better choice and I would go during the daytime.
I have been by Baba's a bunch of times.

Next time I will stop in!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1358302053.078147.jpg
Weber Performer
22.5 Weber OTG
WGA Charcoal
Weber Genesis
chicagokp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2013, 10:19 PM   #18
dupemaster
On the road to being a farker

Nice!

I lived with 3 Indian (like exchange student/FOB Indians) dudes for a few years in college (we met freshman year and lived together the next three years).

I was the resident cook, but they provided the spices that their mothers sent them. I spent 3 years learning how to make Indian food. I love it! I still make dahl three or four times a week and have my wife hooked on it.

The would have skewered me for serving hem a cow BTW! One was a total veg and the other two only ate chicken with the exception on one. When he would get drunk he loved to eat sausage. He loved sausage, but only drunk....
dupemaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2013, 02:37 AM   #19
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

I've wondered, in the opposite direction, what kind of q this would make.

https://www.homdoor.com/index.php/

dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2013, 11:45 PM   #20
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmprantz View Post
I've wondered, in the opposite direction, what kind of q this would make.

https://www.homdoor.com/index.php/
The UDT was the first cooker I ever built myself. I stumbled upon the UDS concept on the internet 2 years later, and wondered whether my tandoor could be used to cook other types of 'cue. The basic issue is that a tandoor is supposed to run b@lls-to-the-wall hot... no scope really for temp regulation. I guess you could regulate temperature by building a tandoor with a bottom intake that can be sealed, and a top that can be sealed. At that point you're basically talking about a ceramic cooker and may as well look at a BGE, Kamado Joe, Primo etc, which will be more versatile ( with some accessories).

But for discussion sake, there's nothing to stop one from skewering a steak on a 40" seekh and searing it in the tandoor. I've thought about doing that myself
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]

Old 01-17-2013, 01:26 AM   #21
AustinKnight
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : D

Really great read brotha I enjoyed it and the grub I like the McRib mod lol, but do you stuff the kababs into the naans? I know it sounds dirty

Old 01-17-2013, 04:29 PM   #22
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinKnight View Post
Really great read brotha I enjoyed it and the grub I like the McRib mod lol, but do you stuff the kababs into the naans? I know it sounds dirty
There is something called a keema naan - the flat kind that gets stuffed with spicy ground meat then cooked. Funny you should say that though - there were some leftovers and I figured it would be a kolache of sorts if I just squeezed the kabab in the the stick naan.

And yes, it did feel dirty...