MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-13-2013, 11:30 PM   #1
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Default BGT= Big Green Tandoor?

One of the reasons why I lusted after a BGE for so long was the vision I had of it as a BGT. Its a similar concept as a tandoor in terms of material and airflow etc, so I thought, why not?

Just as brisket seems to be the nemesis of most 'cue cooks, seekh kababs are the nemesis of tandoor cooks. Its basically ground meat (generally goat, but beef also counts), seasoned with spices, molded onto metal skewers and cooked in a tandoor. The issue is that the darn things fall off the skewers and end up in the coals - not for seasoned cooks like those at Karim's in New Delhi and other less exalted joints, but for dumbar$ses like myself. The meat starts cooking, the fat starts melting and the things just jump off the skewers into the fire. You can try different binders to hold the meat together like wheat flour, gram flour (besan) and even eggs, but the proportion has to be just right or else you taste those things in the seekh kababs. I had taken a break from seekh kababs for a while, since I can do other things which much better results, but every 2 years or so, the bug bites me and i try again. And that's how we come to today's adventure.

I usually use a mix from the Indian stores (Shan spices seekh kabab mix), but today i wanted to take off from scratch. So I roasted some spices in a skillet - white poppy seeds, cashews, caraway seeds, mace, carom seeds, fennel seeds, dried fenugreek leaves, and crushed red chile.

Once they were dry roasted, I let them cool then ground them in a coffee grinder which I keep dedicated for spices. Added cardamom powder, garam masala powder, salt, pepper, chopped green chiles, ginger paste, garlic paste and ground veal.

Let that all get friendly in the refrigerator, while I fired up the LBGE.

Part of the reason for today's adventure was to try making seekh kababs with a couple of different types of skewers I have - homemade ones which I fabbed myself out of 1/4" steel from HD several years ago and 1" wide Persian style skewers which i bought at a Middle Eastern store here in Houston a few years ago. Loaded up some of the meat mix on one of the homemade skewers when the egg hit about 400°F and things looked they were off to a promising start.

Until a few minutes later, when I peeked in through the top vent and saw a nekkid skewer! Carp! Salvaged the kabab that had jumped off from the skewer into the coal and sampled it. Tasted farkin awesome! Flavor profile was spot on for a seekh kabab.

Fueled by beer and ambition, I set off to put plan B in motion- placed the cooking grate in the egg and went to mold some meat onto one of the Persian skewers and these kabab baskets i bought a while back, knowing that some day I would want to try seekh kababs again. The basket can hold a sausage shaped piece of meat, without worrying about it falling into the coals. kind of like a "McRib" mod ( I am embarrassed to say that).

Set things up in a "trapeze" configuration i.e. piece of foil under the Persian skewer so that if the meat fell off it would hit the foil on the grate and all would not be lost. Rested the baskets on the grate, with the wood handles outside the egg.

Turns out that I didn't need the trapeze setup. The kabab stayed put on the wider seekhs. Now I know which ones to use next time.

While the egg had been heating up, I made some dough for "stick naans". How could I make seekh kababs without naans? Since I couldn;t make them the usual way (sticking to the wall of tandoor) I tried Raichlens Planet Barbecue recipe for Armenian Stick Bread.

The bread came out pretty darn good. Cooked 3-4 mins per side. Very nice slightly sweet yeasty flavor. Nice chewy exterior, fluffy soft interior. I will definitely make these again.

A plated shot. I know the seekh kabab looks like something else, but they were very tasty.

Dinner was a hodge podge of things - leftover tzatziki sauce, Ethiopian food leftovers, seekh kababs, and stick naans. It all tasted fantastic though, and I think seekh kababs are back in my repertoire. Next time I will mix in some lamb though, since I think the flavor will be even better.

Thanks for looking!
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]
caliking is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2013, 11:33 PM   #2
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

Great stuff man! Love seeing something different.
A bunch of Webers
Smoothsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-14-2013, 11:09 AM   #3
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

For the next tandoor experiment I'm going to try sliding in the skewers from the top vent to mimic a traditional tandoor. As soon as I figure out how to consistently get the BGE temps up to 600+.
[FONT=Arial Narrow][B]EZ wood handled 3 wheeler | OTS | OTS mod to OTG | [COLOR=red]Ladybug[/COLOR] SS Performer | UglyDrumTandoor | UDS v1 | midi UDS with [COLOR=red]red[/COLOR] [COLOR=black]nipples[/COLOR] | SJG smoker mod | Simpsons SJS | [COLOR=black]Simpsons[/COLOR] OTG | WGA charcoal | SJP | Stacked brick WFO | Lodge Logic Sportsman's Grill cast iron hibachi/sigri | [COLOR=green]LBGE | sbge | [SIZE="1"]mini bge[/SIZE] [/COLOR] [/B][/FONT]

Old 01-14-2013, 11:40 AM   #4
HeSmellsLikeSmoke
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliking View Post
For the next tandoor experiment I'm going to try sliding in the skewers from the top vent to mimic a traditional tandoor. As soon as I figure out how to consistently get the BGE temps up to 600+.
There may be something you can pick up from this attempt at using a BGE for a tandoor oven.

http://www.foodnotfiller.com/?p=5

I wonder if there might be a way to leave the top open and find or make a suitable open top cap to sit right on top of the BGE gasket? Perhaps a flower pot with the bottom cut out. Sure would solve the naan problem.

Large and Medium Big Green Eggs , Black 18.5" WSM, Blue Weber Performer - Stainless, Green Weber OTG Kettle , Brinkmann SnP Pro, and a Stainless UDS. One retired Portable Kitchen grill.

Red Thermapen, Maverick ET-732, EdgePro Apex Sharpener.

Avatar is the original 1951 Weber Kettle

Last edited by HeSmellsLikeSmoke; 01-14-2013 at 11:55 AM..
HeSmellsLikeSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2013, 12:12 PM   #5
realspaazz
Take a breath!

I use Raichlen's recipe for Naan and cook it right on the cooking grate. have done it on both the gasser and the weber kettle. I'm sure that you could cook them on the bge grate too. Just don't walk away... they are easy to burn.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:29 PM   #6
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by realspaazz View Post
I use Raichlen's recipe for Naan and cook it right on the cooking grate. have done it on both the gasser and the weber kettle. I'm sure that you could cook them on the bge grate too. Just don't walk away... they are easy to burn.
Cooking them on a pizza stone might be closest to the traditional way of making naans, but that's a good tip and I might try it. Thanks.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:31 PM   #7
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeSmellsLikeSmoke View Post
There may be something you can pick up from this attempt at using a BGE for a tandoor oven.

http://www.foodnotfiller.com/?p=5

I wonder if there might be a way to leave the top open and find or make a suitable open top cap to sit right on top of the BGE gasket? Perhaps a flower pot with the bottom cut out. Sure would solve the naan problem.
Thanks for the link. I searched and checked out some blogs, etc by folks who have had the same thought I had, and it seems that the BGE can be used very similarly to a tandoor. Can't wait to try this!

Old 01-14-2013, 05:17 PM   #8
Gnaws on Pigs
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by realspaazz View Post
This. I make naan pretty frequently right on the grates, along with some killer chicken tikkas on the Akorn. The naan turns out great cooking it right on the grates. I use Raichlen's recipe, too.

Slow-to-average-speed [COLOR=dimgray]GRAY[/COLOR] Wal-Mart thermometer

Just a hungry hillbilly lookin for a dead critter to cook

Four [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/group.php?groupid=39"]Zeros[/URL] in one [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=red]throwdown[/COLOR][/URL][COLOR=red],[/COLOR] baby! :bow:
Gnaws on Pigs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2013, 05:19 PM   #9
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

It's always a worthy read when you are working out things, great post

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-14-2013, 06:17 PM   #10
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
It's always a worthy read when you are working out things, great post
Thanks! I always enjoy your cooks and how beautifully illustrated they are.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:50 PM   #11
Bonewagon
Babbling Farker

Love it. Lot's of ideas from this post. Thanks for sharing!

Big Steel Keg, WSM, OTG, PBC, Kamado Joe Jr., Carson Rodizio, and a Super Fast [I]and[/I] Accurate [COLOR="Blue"]Blue[/COLOR] Splash-Proof Thermapen
Bonewagon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2013, 03:40 PM   #12
basuraman
Full Fledged Farker

Very cool stuff.

Old 01-15-2013, 03:54 PM   #13
SirBBQ
Got Wood.

I do Kubideh kabob all the time.....I usually use the flat metal skewer and rest them on the top of the lower bowl and shut the lid ontop of the shewer.

Old 01-15-2013, 06:43 PM   #14
chicagokp
Babbling Farker

Ok, now I am hanging for some Indian food. Looks great! Always love seeing what you make!
Weber Performer
22.5 Weber OTG
WGA Charcoal
Weber Genesis
chicagokp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2013, 06:58 PM   #15
caliking
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBBQ View Post
I do Kubideh kabob all the time.....I usually use the flat metal skewer and rest them on the top of the lower bowl and shut the lid ontop of the shewer.
Yup that's what I did too. It works great.