MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-07-2010, 04:22 PM   #1
AFSmokinDoc
Found some matches.

Default First Brisket

So I have smoked exactly one time on my WSM. I did chicken. Something basic and not expensive. So it came out great. I've been used the book "low and slow" for directions on the chicken. But, I'm inpatient and I really want to cook a Brisket. However, I don't have a recipe for rub or cook times. I was hoping someone could help me out with something basic for a 6lb brisket from the local commissary.

Thanks for all the help. I'm such a n00b (gamer talk).
AFSmokinDoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-2010, 04:50 PM   #2
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

We do not use the term noob or n00b etc...now, for a simple pantry brisket rub, you could do something as simple as 2 parts black pepper, 1 part kosher salt, 1/4 part each chile powder, paprika and powdered garlic and have a fine brisket rub. I typically do not use any sugar for a beef rub, just my taste. I really like a simple rub like I outlined.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-07-2010, 04:58 PM   #3
mikeTRON
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by landarc View Post
We do not use the term noob or n00b etc...
speak for yourself.

n00b
mikeTRON is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-2010, 05:02 PM   #4
BBQ Grail

First time! Salt and pepper....

Soon to be a Texafornian.

For a limited time I will be issuing Moink Ball Certificates. I'm working on a special COVID 19 Verson.
Email me for details.
BBQ Grail is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-2010, 05:04 PM   #5
mikeTRON
Full Fledged Farker

Haha just kidding Im practically as new to smoking as you are I just started learning this past summer BUT I DO have legit research skills

Gary Wiviot has a thread on his forum that says how he smokes a brisket:

Quote:
KYBBQ,

I do not recommend placing the brisket in an aluminum pan. The pan will block smoke from the meat and liquid in the bottom of the pan will simmer the brisket. In general I am not a fan of foil, pan, wrapping in ect, on the smoker, with proper cut of meat and fire control its simply not necessary and, to my taste, degrades taste and texture.

Probably the most important factor when smoking a brisket, aside from fire control, is obtaining a full packer cut brisket, this has both point and flat and a healthy fat cap.

Enjoy,
Gary

Repost

There are a few simple steps to producing tasty brisket on the smoker: procuring the proper hunk-o-cow flesh (a full packer cut brisket point/deckle and flat with intact fat cap), clean burning fire, moderate application of wood smoke and a simple rub, kosher salt and fresh cracked pepper for example.

I typically smoke 15-lb. full packer cut briskets in the 250*F-275*F range, but rarely check temperatures. I start fat side up and flip twice during the cook because I want to finish fat side upso as to maximize fatty crusty bark. In the last third of the cook I foil the very outer edge of the flatnot unlike what one would do with the end of a turkey drumstickso it does not dry out.

As Ive always said, I think people get into trouble looking for absolute times and temperatures. A ballpark estimate for my cooking style is 9 to 10 hours. A two-tined meat fork should slide easily into the brisket, and the flesh itself should have a slight wobble (I call it the wabba wabba) when poked.

Cooper's in Llano, Texaswhere God goes when she is in the mood for brisketis my favorite commercial barbecue joint. When cooking brisket, I make a clone of their sauce, but use it sparingly. My homage to Cooper's sauce is in the book on page 197. The key to the sauce is using a fatty hunk-o-bark from the almost done brisket.

Enjoy,

Gary Wiviott

=-=-=-
Texas-Style BBQ Sauce

MAKES ABOUT 6 12 CUPS

2 cups white vinegar
2 cups ketchup
2 cups water
1 tablespoon Louisiana-style or Mexican-style hot sauce, such as Texas Pete, Louisiana, or Buffalo
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons freshly ground black peppercorns
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
12 teaspoon Morton kosher salt

Large (hand-size) chunk of fat cap/bark from cooked brisket.

Combine all of the ingredients in a large stockpot over medium heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes. Serve warm.

Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to one week.
http://www.lowslowbbq.com/bb/viewtopic.php?p=2135#p2135

That being said I DID stick to his lesson plan. Did the chicken a few times, then baby back ribs, then spare ribs and finally two pork butts that took me about 13 hours to smoke. I know a lot of people complain about the book being sort or militant or whatever but I appreciated the KISS method for everything. You see, IF I HADN'T stuck to the lesson plan I would have incorporated every single idea I thought sounded good into each cook and I wouldn't have known what I liked or disliked and probably FARKED something up.

That being said I had NO personal IN PERSON help so it was a tad more difficult for me to know when to pull the meat etc etc

You can knock out the next three lessons in less than 3 weeks which will give you time to research brisket

Old 11-07-2010, 05:05 PM   #6
MOS95B
is one Smokin' Farker

Yep, just plain old salt and pepper. I like hickory with beef for smoke. Run it 250-275 until she's done....

I'd say "Search the forum for brisket", but you'll just get swamped with that route....
MOS95B is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-07-2010, 05:11 PM   #7
landarc

But, there is that great tutorial thread done by Biggie Byte...http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...gabyte+brisket

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Old 11-07-2010, 05:21 PM   #8
mikeTRON
Full Fledged Farker

Here are a few tutorials I liked:

This one is massive and a GREAT tutorial:
http://www.thepickledpig.com/forums/...n-brisket.html

I believe thepickledpig is about to merge with bbqbug so here is the SAME thing on the new forum:
http://www.bbqbug.com/forums/showthread.php?t=703

Basic Brisket tutorial (Pr0n heavy):
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=57882

The Virtual Weber bullet is specifically for the WSM:
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/brisket2.html

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/br....html#prepping

http://www.culinarydisaster.com/word...okey-mountain/

http://blog.firebones.com/2008/09/05...-smoke-report/

http://www.theqjoint.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/wik...t-the-easy-way

Old 11-07-2010, 06:14 PM   #9
AFSmokinDoc
Found some matches.

Thanks for all the help. I'm looking forward to reading all of the links that were sent out. I'll let you all know how it turns out on Wednesday..

Old 11-07-2010, 08:19 PM   #10
mikeTRON
Full Fledged Farker

If you dont snap pictures I will have to kill you

just saying....

Haha its probably easier to snap photos and upload them then it was for me to give you those links

just saying...

Old 11-11-2010, 06:54 PM   #11
AFSmokinDoc
Found some matches.

The Brisket came out awesome. I was pleasantly surprised by the taste and the moistness of it. The pack date was actually on 11/06 so it was pretty young comparatively speaking. I ended up smoking the 6lb brisket for just under 7 hours. I did use foil for the last part of my cooking. I flipped the brisket three times. I used a basic rub of fresh ground black pepper, kosher salt, garlic powder, onion powder, and Montreal seasoning. Thank you for all of the advice. [IMG]file:///Users/scottrubenstein/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/moz-screenshot-2.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///Users/scottrubenstein/Desktop/brisket%20pics/IMG_0153.JPG[/IMG]

[IMG]file:///Users/scottrubenstein/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///Users/scottrubenstein/Library/Caches/TemporaryItems/moz-screenshot-1.png[/IMG]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0153.jpg (72.5 KB, 402 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0158.jpg (65.9 KB, 403 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0159.jpg (74.3 KB, 402 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0160.jpg (78.9 KB, 402 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0162.jpg (87.2 KB, 402 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0163.jpg (58.7 KB, 404 views)

Old 11-11-2010, 06:55 PM   #12
AFSmokinDoc
Found some matches.

Let me take you on a tour of the pics. The first is after I cleaned it. The second and third are two and four hours into the cooking process, respectively. The final three pictures are the final product.

Old 11-11-2010, 07:16 PM   #13
landarc

Nice job, that is a good looking brisket.

[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Old 11-11-2010, 07:30 PM   #14
bigabyte

Nice work! Looks great!
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2010, 07:31 PM   #15
bbqbull
Watching over us.

Being a new member here at this forum, we have an awesome informational thread at the top of Q-Talk.
Here is the link for basic but great information.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7818
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote