Wondering about an insulated UDS?

C

cjallen85

I am planning on building a BBQ trailer. I want to incorporate three UDS onto the build. I was wondering if anyone has every insulated one before? Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks again everyone.

People are going to tell you that you don't need it. I use a welding blanket. Just wrap and bungi cord. Nothing fancy, but top and bottom wrap would help even more. Works well in winter.

depends on the climate, I dont use any insulation here in Florida but in colder climates I think it would help keep the heat in and make it more efficient, imo.

I wrap a moving blanket around mine in the winter, It helps in the subzero weather

I am planning on my first UDS build next month. While I have not been thinking about an insulated one for my first build I have been thinking that if you took a 30 gallon drum and dropped it inside of the 55 gallon drum then you could add insulation between the two. I was further thinking that I might just have to weld intake pipes between the inner and outer drum for the intakes down low. Then just weld on the ball valve on the intake and a removable cap for the other two intakes.

I have not put much more thought into than that... but I think that it might help up here in New England.

My only question would be what type of insulation to use between the two drums.

-Jeep

Insulation not needed on a drum, just keep it out of the wind.

It's Been done, I'm not sure who did it but it's been on here some where...?

People are going to tell you that you don't need it. I use a welding blanket. Just wrap and bungi cord. Nothing fancy, but top and bottom wrap would help even more. Works well in winter.

When it does get a little chilly here in the south I do the same. Works wonders!

There are a lot of things that are not needed yet done anyway. My other Passion, my Jeeps, are a prime example. They are way overbuilt with things that are not needed.

If anyone feels the need to wrap a UDS with a welding blanket for what ever reason, then they are cooking on an insulated UDS.

So Yes, in some instances an insulated UDS is what is called for. It will be a fun build someday down the road.

-Jeep

If they're going on a trailer, why not just build a box around the three drums? Wouldn't that insulate them enough?

If they're going on a trailer, why not just build a box around the three drums? Wouldn't that insulate them enough?
That is definately an idea. I will keep that in my mind. Thanks!

Back