Family Support

cmcadams

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Just posing a quick question... I just wrote a blog entry about my family's involvement with outdoor cooking, with just a bit of historical dad grilling issues. But how does your family, other than your spouse, support your barbecue obsession?

I've had most of my family show up at a comp, even putting up with me during crunch time. And just about all parts of my immediately family get into outdoor cooking quite a bit, one way or another.

You said other than spouses but my wife is a part of the team. She won't always be able to make it but since my help has decided his job is more important (geez, go figure!) this year, her presence will be important. My 5 year old daughter is excited about Kids Q contests. We'll have her along when possible. For the royal, I had my mom show up, along with my step sister and her husband. They weren't there for crunch time though. That's just my wife. And she needed to be there to make me sit down and take a few breaths and drink a bottle of water my first contest. I was letting the pressure get to me after three turn-ins. Got a little light headed.

As for the rest of the family, they're intrigued by the whole thing and like visiting occasionally and also they always ask about it at family dinners, etc. My mom's support is surprising really. She's always been pretty frugal and she's never batted an eye when she's heard some of my expenses.

I think the biggest thing is that they don't understand why I haven't placed higher. They've had my Q and of course they say it's the best they've ever had. I'm going to have to get some of them to be around contests more to understand it.

Welll, I don't compete and don't plan to but the whole family gets into our backyard q "events". I think it's a great family hobby. Hanging out in the backyard playing with the kids while we smell the wood fired pit, there's not much better IMHO. In fact, the wife's been real supportive until I just plunked down some major bucks on a serious cooker. Now I would say she's tolerant. I'll get her back to supportive after a few cooks with the kids and some friends.

The only comp i have ever done was last week at Grillin on the bay with my 11 year old son and he is into it as much as I. My wife is very supportive of my obsession. She is even taking the judging class next month with me. If any other brethren want to join up with me fot the grill kings in july just pm me, we could definately use the help

Wife eats brisket 2 times a year.

Ribs, only bbacks couple more times.

I do have the family hooked on pulled pork, but to answer the question, zero support from the family.

Hence, I don't compete

So that is why you are so evil, I assumed it was lack of breast feeding as a child.

I don't get much support. My wife appreciates when I do the cooking, but it drives her nuts.

jgh1204 said:
So that is why you are so evil, I assumed it was lack of breast feeding as a child.

No no no.....

The Evil comes from a source,

so diabolical,

it will make your blood curl.

It is so Evil, it is....

Son will hang out with me for awhile, then leave. Daughters will come over and eat. Son-In-Law, works weekends, but brings his own plate to get some food. Grandson, does not count he is only 20 months old. Family support? They tell me the food taste good, eat it up, wait for me to cook again.

It's a family effort here,everyone helps load & set up for comps,but everyone backs off when the cooking starts.Daughter in law helps with turn in and the wife likes it when i get some cash.They all help when we have to serve the public at the charity events.My wife said yesterday we need some Brethren jackets for the family.

Watching Sledneck and 'lil Sledneck at the contest in Brooklyn was awesome. My brother is my right hand man in bbq, my wife is supportive but thinks it's boring to stay by the cooker....I got the love of cooking from my dad, and I hope to pass it on to someone someday, too....I think that sharing the love is the best part.

Sledneck and Son:

Attachments

• DSC02127.jpg
    DSC02127.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 149
Like I've told you guys before, I smoke about 3 times a week. When I am getting ready to smoe something I always say to my wife, "Diana, I think I may smoke something tomorrow." She just rolls her eyes and looks the other way.
That's all the involvement I get and I like it that way.
The kids do go out in the freezer in the Harely Shop and look see what they may want to take home, though. I like that.
Smoke On!!!!
Ed

willkat98 said:
Wife eats brisket 2 times a year.

Ribs, only bbacks couple more times.

I do have the family hooked on pulled pork, but to answer the question, zero support from the family.

Hence, I don't compete
That's about where I am. Except my family is hooked on the beer can chickens.

My wife is very supportive. We are in the process of getting my business set up. All of my catering events have gone over huge. My kids love the Kids Q, first event my daughter was Grand Champion and my son was second. Needless to say they are hooked.

Mine will take the pans of finished meat from me when I bring them into the kitchen. Which works for me most of the time. It's the same way with preparing dinner a lot of the time. It's my time to relax and clear my mind. So I guess they are being supportive.

well, lets see.
  • The family comes to every competition
  • my house is overrun with BBQ stuff
  • my backyard is one big BBQ Pit, either for cooking or eating
  • I spend a significant amount of time and resources working on this place for us to hang out... sometimes to the point that the family sees the back of my laptop more than my face
  • And most important.. Once a year, my wife allows a bunch of BBQ Brethren to take over our home to drink, burp, eat, fart, scream, laugh and cook.....for 3 days, and for 4 years straight is on our wedding anniversary weekend.
That being said.. i think i'm blessed.

Topic for a different post, these past week, I have been busy away from home in the evenings and the family has had to fend for themselves for dinner. One night, to my amazment, my 11 year old son called asking if he can use the grill(gasser) to make some chicken. I will ellaborate in a diffferent thread, but since that night, he has been grillin several times, steaks, chickens, dogs, etc.. this may be the second generation BBQChef33.

That's great news, Phil! Does he also get to stick around for the Bash activities? You know he won't ever be a REAL second generation Poobah until he acts like all of us too! :lol: Maybe your wife draws the line there!

BBQchef33 said:
well, lets see.
  • sometimes to the point that the family sees the back of my laptop more than my face.

• this is probably a good thing!!! ha haha j/k

BBQchef33 said:
    Topic for a different post, these past week, I have been busy away from home in the evenings and the family has had to fend for themselves for dinner. One night, to my amazment, my 11 year old son called asking if he can use the grill(gasser) to make some chicken. I will ellaborate in a diffferent thread, but since that night, he has been grillin several times, steaks, chickens, dogs, etc.. this may be the second generation BBQChef33.

that's awesome Phil...my son spent a pretty good while with me by the pit this last weekend...and i loved every minute of it.

Back