MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-25-2012, 06:05 PM   #1
el_matt
Babbling Farker

Default Weber One-Touch system

I have an OTG, date code DA(2001). If I were to replace the One-Touch system, would the temperature control be worth the effort? I got my OTG at an estate sale a year or two ago, so I only know temp. control with an 11 year old, used kettle.

I guess what I'm asking is, is the juice worth the squeeze? The new blades are about $12-$15, so it's not a price issue. It's more of a value issue.

There's nothing wrong with my kettle, but if I can make it better, I'd love to.

Matt
el_matt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2012, 06:47 PM   #2
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

How worn are the blades? I find that the OTS system does need a cleaning and tightening up from time to time. I also give a tap to the blades in a closed position with a mallet to make sure they are somewhat tight to the kettle surface

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-25-2012, 06:51 PM   #3
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

If the blades are just not seating correctly on the bowl, take them off, bend them straight, and re-install them.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-25-2012, 08:23 PM   #4
mbshop
Babbling Farker

they do get worn and bent when folks don't clean the bottom and crud builds up. then forcing the blades against this will bend them.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:24 PM   #5
el_matt
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseydog View Post
If the blades are just not seating correctly on the bowl, take them off, bend them straight, and re-install them.

CD
How difficult is it to take them off? I'm just concerned that the metal may break, and then I'll have to replace them.

Matt

Old 06-26-2012, 02:58 PM   #6
Bebe
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_matt View Post
How difficult is it to take them off? I'm just concerned that the metal may break, and then I'll have to replace them.

Matt
just zoom out the picture, you'll see

why don't you get a new one?
Bebe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-26-2012, 04:19 PM   #7
el_matt
Babbling Farker

Thanks Bebe. I actually just cleaned up the bottom of the kettle with elbow grease and some foil. The fins seem to fit much better. I think I'll give it a bit of a tap or two and see if that doesn't tighten them up.

Matt

Old 06-26-2012, 05:01 PM   #8
mbshop
Babbling Farker

after having said what i did, i went and checked the one i'm using now and it was getting some good carbon build up so i took everything apart and 'am cleaning the bowl and vanes. i do it enough that nothing was rusted.

Old 06-26-2012, 06:42 PM   #9
mbshop
Babbling Farker

i couldn't find my plastic scraper but eyed some wood door shims. dang they work good, so try that. the really super hard stuff will have to be scraped of with a dulled screwdriver.

Old 07-07-2012, 01:33 PM   #10
humblegriller
Got Wood.

How exactly do you get the one-touch system off? I can't figure it out.

I bought a party-q and installed it where I thought it would work best, but now one of the blades hits the inside portion of the adapter. I want to take that blade off so I can cut and reshape it to clear yet still seal.
humblegriller is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2012, 02:01 PM   #11
pueblo
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humblegriller View Post
How exactly do you get the one-touch system off? I can't figure it out.

I bought a party-q and installed it where I thought it would work best, but now one of the blades hits the inside portion of the adapter. I want to take that blade off so I can cut and reshape it to clear yet still seal.
I have to remove my blades too, so I called Weber for instructions. In a nutshell ... it's a b!tch. You have to push really hard on the little washer on the bottom (outside) of the bowl so that the handle will slide out. Good luck with that, especially if your rig is newer. The mechanism is put together really tight, and getting the handle out is the hard part on a newer unit. Then you turn that "H"-like thing on the inside of the bowl, and it all comes apart. I'll be taking a run at it this afternoon.
pueblo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2012, 02:31 PM   #12
humblegriller
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pueblo View Post
I have to remove my blades too, so I called Weber for instructions. In a nutshell ... it's a b!tch. You have to push really hard on the little washer on the bottom (outside) of the bowl so that the handle will slide out. Good luck with that, especially if your rig is newer. The mechanism is put together really tight, and getting the handle out is the hard part on a newer unit. Then you turn that "H"-like thing on the inside of the bowl, and it all comes apart. I'll be taking a run at it this afternoon.
Went outside to try. Unfortunately the temperature here is 106 and the grill is too hot to touch. I'll have to try after the sun moves enough to put it in the shade.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes if you don't mind.

If worse comes to worse, it looks like they make a thumbscrew version to replace it.
humblegriller is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2012, 03:13 PM   #13
mbshop
Babbling Farker

if you have an old thumb screw one then its not to hard. for sure, replace the thumbscrew with a ss bolt so it doesn't rust itself solid. as to the new h style, i would take it apart regularly or it will rust solid with the crappy material weber uses.

Last edited by mbshop; 07-07-2012 at 05:04 PM..
mbshop is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2012, 10:46 PM   #14
pueblo
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by humblegriller View Post
Went outside to try. Unfortunately the temperature here is 106 and the grill is too hot to touch. I'll have to try after the sun moves enough to put it in the shade.

Good luck. Let us know how it goes if you don't mind.

If worse comes to worse, it looks like they make a thumbscrew version to replace it.
Done .... and true to my original description it was a b!tch. The procedure:

put a flat head screwdriver between the rod that moves the blades and the washer fits against the kettle (between the little ears that hold the rod). Twist the screwdriver and also twist the rod until a "key" on the rod lets loose of the washer. Twist the rod until the key lines up with a slot in one of the ears. Pull the rod through the ears. I had to use a punch to knock the rod through the ears. Then pull the washer down off the ears. The rest is obvious.

Good luck. What a lousy design.
pueblo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2013, 10:25 PM   #15
rez
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pueblo View Post
Done .... and true to my original description it was a b!tch. The procedure:

put a flat head screwdriver between the rod that moves the blades and the washer fits against the kettle (between the little ears that hold the rod). Twist the screwdriver and also twist the rod until a "key" on the rod lets loose of the washer. Twist the rod until the key lines up with a slot in one of the ears. Pull the rod through the ears. I had to use a punch to knock the rod through the ears. Then pull the washer down off the ears. The rest is obvious.

Good luck. What a lousy design.
Great description thanks so much! - I had 2 out of the 3 sweeps bent up on my Weber so they were neither sweeping nor controlling air flow so have been doing google searches for the past few days trying to figure out what to do next. Just found this thread today; followed the instructions and was able to fix in about an hour from start to finish (including cleaning out most of the crud from around the bottom of the bowl).

Now I need to figure out a way to keep small pieces of lump falling through the grate on the Weber and plugging up the bottom vents (which can then cause the bent sweeps). My first post on the site and not trying to be rude but so happy I found this info that am posting even though it's warning me that it's an old thread.
rez is offline   Reply With Quote