Anyone use a Performer table to make a UDS cart?

Tricky

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I saw what looked like a Performer on Craigslist a couple of weeks ago for $30. I emailed immediately but someone had already beat me to it.

It got me thinking - the table seems like it would make a great UDS cart (assuming you didn't want the kettle). Has anyone used one of these tables to make into a UDS cart?

Does a platinum cart count? My platinum was hit by a section of railing during demo of my deck and I broke the side table. Figuring I would find a use for the cart and the kettle I kept it around. Recently I put together my latest drum using the cart with a rebuilt table. Only real mod to the cart was bolting in some angle iron for the drum to rest on and some U bolts to secure the drum to the cart. Overall I am very pleased with how it turned out.

Attachments

• IMG_20110806_170007.jpg
    IMG_20110806_170007.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 473
Last edited:
That looks nice. I always thought it would be cool to build a performer style table around the drum so only the weber lid was showing.

There is another Brethren that made a Performer type cart for a WSM that looked really nice. I saved the post for future reference but I will have to look it up to repost. Your and his build look really nice and hopefully I can finish my build in the near future. Thank you both for the pron and ideas. :thumb:

Yeah, a Performer cart would be great for a UDS. Unfortunately it is quite difficult to find just the cart. My problem is that I see Performers on CL but its hard to sacrifice the full setup if the kettle is still good. And, it's unlikely that you would see a Performer cart on CL without the kettle. Still a chance though.

Does a platinum cart count? My platinum was hit by a section of railing during demo of my deck and I broke the side table. Figuring I would find a use for the cart and the kettle I kept it around. Recently I put together my latest drum using the cart with a rebuilt table. Only real mod to the cart was bolting in some angle iron for the drum to rest on and some U bolts to secure the drum to the cart. Overall I am very pleased with how it turned out.

:clap2: Very nice :thumb:

I built this cart using ideas I got from my Performer.
IMG_9609.jpg

I made a few adaptions and made it mobil...
IMG_0085.jpg

IMG_0072.jpg

Word of advice if you are wanting to build your own... make sure you build it wide enough that the drums fit in it. The first time I assembled it, I didn't account for the stiffner rings on the drums. I took the diameter measurement at the top of the drum and added an inch. When I went to put the drums on it, they wouldn't fit :doh:
So I had to tear it apart and add an inch to the center cross tubings so they would fit.

The best of both worlds. The UDS Performer!

My problem is that I see Performers on CL but its hard to sacrifice the full setup if the kettle is still good.

I had the same thought when I saw the grill on CL. I actually don't have a charcoal grill (just my drum and a Weber gasser) and as I thought about converting the old Performer I thought "why not keep the Performer and actually use it as it was intended?"

In the end I didn't have to face that dilemna, since someone scored the Performer out from under me. It had only been posted a few hours when I emailed and I was too late.

Back