Sunday's Picnic ~ Just So-So

thirdeye

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Reaction score
I found this 14 pound picnic Friday and smoked it on Sunday. I had plenty of time and it was a nice day, problem was.......it was sandwich grade at best. And even with the injection, the damm thing was a little dry. The meat had a good smoky flavor and the meat down in the hock was wonderful, I was just a little disappointed in the overall product. I'm hoping I just got some meat from an old hog :rolleyes:

DSC05069R.jpg

DSC05080R.jpg

DSC05085H.jpg

DSC05110H.jpg

That does look good. Would you usually "pull" the meat? Or slice?

That does look good. Would you usually "pull" the meat? Or slice?

There is always one muscle that is not as pullable as the rest, the whole thing comes apart from the others and it gets sliced. The rest of it, especially the meat near the bone (and there is a big bone and a knuckle in a picnic) will pull fine.

Nice looking pron Wayne. Sorry it was not great. Knowing you it probly was just the meat. Next time:icon_bigsmil Once again thanks for the idea of smoking fresh hocks for beans, did this a short time ago and they turned out great.
Now I am going to have to try a picnic:lol:

Sorry it didn't turn out the way you wanted.:frown: But it sure looks good.:biggrin:

You could have just lied and told us it came out great, because it looks amazing.

You could have just lied and told us it came out great, because it looks amazing.

Here is why I was so confused with the moisture facture. I shot it with about double what I usually use and even gave it a shot during the plateau.

DSC05049B.jpg

Here is one more picture I found on the camera this evening. The final "skin" shot. :biggrin:

DSC05105H.jpg

Back