Monday Picnic

zakaluka

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Wasn't really planning on doing anything this week, but I was at WinCo last night. They were selling picnic for $1.48/lb. Couldn't even walk away until one of them found its way into my cart.

UDS is in logistics phase so I'm still using the kettle :D. But I think I've gotten a bit better at managing the weber. Pic 4, perfect 230F and I hadn't opened the cover for over an hour.

I know now why butts are more popular than picnics, though - picnic is more bone/skin than a butt. I was thinking -- how in the hell do I season this thing with 70% skin coverage? I don't know if this is how others do it but I cut under the skin all the way through on both sides so I could get some seasoning on the meat. Left the skin attached OFC.

Basic sweet/spicy rub, rubbed thorougly under the skin.

150 IT right now, gonna eat a big dinner.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 85
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 84
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    161.3 KB · Views: 85
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    149 KB · Views: 85
One of the girls came by to smell it and didn't shut the cover properly. I'm cryin :(

Temp went from 240ish to 400 in 20 minutes. Don't think it's ruined, just charred the skin. Oh well, that's why that water pan goes in there, limits damage done by something like that :p

Sorry to hear. Hopefully the rest of the cook goes without any bumps.

They're still on sale! Get more!

Sorry to hear about the mess-up. But it happens. You were off to a good start. No problem in removing some of the skin. The last picnic I did had skin on half. It came out great. I usually see more butts, so that is what I do mostly. But recently I've been seeing more picnics.

Skin ROCKS! Picnics beat butts EVERYTIME! If ya really want some tastee Q,cook a Picnic and a butt and mix em together...same as..Whole Shoulder Q,2nd only to Whole Hog Q. :wink: Next time try not to burn the skin,pull the Q meat and reseason the skin and throw it back on til it crisps up....better than the Q.:eusa_clap

Back