MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:46 PM   #1
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

Default Fried Chicken

Fried chicken recipes. Anybody? In oil not on the cooker or oven some real artery clogging old fashion chickun
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2008, 09:49 PM   #2
HoDeDo
Babbling Farker

Pan fried at 350. I'll find a link. Gotta thank Todd for forcing me to want to master go old Pan Frying again... We turned out some killer chicken at a couple of contests last year.

Old 04-02-2008, 10:09 PM   #3
smknwhlswife
is One Chatty Farker

Here is the one Andy was talking about.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._15279,00.html

Smoke On Wheels www.smokeonwheels.com

Yoder Cookers YS-640 & YS-480 & YS-1320 / Coming Soon* YS Q-Kitchen with YS-1500, YS-640 & YS-Charcoal Grill/ $25 Hasty-bake Model 410 / Weber Kettles
smknwhlswife is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2008, 10:27 PM   #4
eagle697
is one Smokin' Farker

start by soaking the chicken pieces in buttermilk overnight. This really makes it moist and tender. drain the chicken in a colander, don't rinse. dredge in seasoned flour ( use the spices of your choice. I use garlic powder, paprika, kosher salt), ensuring the shake off all excess. dip in egg wash with as much hot sauce added ( i use alot, 2-3 spoonfulls. it doesnt make it as hot as you think.) then dredge in plain flour ( if you season this flour, it will burn the spices and can create a bitter taste). let it sit on a cooling rack for 10-15 minutes before you cook. fry in a cast iron skillet with 1/3-1/2 inch of 325 degree oil. put dark meat in the middle of the skillet as this is the hot spot and this meat needs cooking longer. add legs and breasts around edges. i
check after a few minutes and when the bottoms are golden brown, flip. Insert a thermometer into the thickest part of a thigh and when it hits 160 pull them out. to drain, place on a rack.
This is just a starting point, modify it to your tastes.

2 NB Banderas, Imperial Kamado #5, Imperial Kamado #0, Large Grill Dome, Large Primo Kamado, 22.5 Weber Silver, 18.5 Weber Silver
eagle697 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2008, 10:30 PM   #5
Bill-Chicago
somebody shut me the fark up.

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

There really only is one way to fry chicken:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ln5PLLzNrw

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2008, 10:49 PM   #6
Roaming Gnome
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smknwhlswife View Post
Here is the one Andy was talking about.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/reci..._15279,00.html
Alton Brown simply = the Man

Old 04-03-2008, 09:36 AM   #7
hnd
Full Fledged Farker

the best fried chicken i've ever had....was taught to me be this elderly african american woman that used to live down the street. and it was super simple..

with a deep 4-5 inch cast iron skillet fill it with oil. cut up an entire onion and put it in the oil. let it fry....once some of it starts turning black its ready to go.

rinse the chicken. prepare a big bowl of flour and salt and pepper...if you want spicy cayenne or paprika go in as well....coat the chicken in the flour, making sure theres plenty on there...and fry..
hnd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2008, 09:43 AM   #8
NCGrimbo
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle697 View Post
start by soaking the chicken pieces in buttermilk overnight. This really makes it moist and tender. drain the chicken in a colander, don't rinse. dredge in seasoned flour ( use the spices of your choice. I use garlic powder, paprika, kosher salt), ensuring the shake off all excess. dip in egg wash with as much hot sauce added ( i use alot, 2-3 spoonfulls. it doesnt make it as hot as you think.) then dredge in plain flour ( if you season this flour, it will burn the spices and can create a bitter taste). let it sit on a cooling rack for 10-15 minutes before you cook. fry in a cast iron skillet with 1/3-1/2 inch of 325 degree oil. put dark meat in the middle of the skillet as this is the hot spot and this meat needs cooking longer. add legs and breasts around edges. i
check after a few minutes and when the bottoms are golden brown, flip. Insert a thermometer into the thickest part of a thigh and when it hits 160 pull them out. to drain, place on a rack.
This is the same as how I make mine, but I've never added the hot sauce to the egg wash step. I'm going to try it like this next time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willkat98 View Post
There really only is one way to fry chicken:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ln5PLLzNrw
There are times that you really scare me Bill. This is one of them.
"At what point did we forget that the Space Shuttle was, essentially, a program that strapped human beings to an explosion and tried to stab through the sky with fire and math? How jaded do we have to be to lose collective interest in that?" - Robert Brockway
-----------------------------------------------------------
Weber 26.5"
Yoder YS640

-NCGrimbo
NCGrimbo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2008, 11:34 AM   #9
elvis67
Full Fledged Farker

I do the buttermilk thing as well but add hot sauce to the buttermilk. Gotta have plenty of garlic powder in the seasoned flour. Then mashed taters gravy and corn. YUM!!

Old 04-03-2008, 11:41 AM   #10
WineMaster
Babbling Farker

Use Tyler Florence Ultimate Fried Chicken Recipie.
Even you could take 12th in a Fried Chicken contest.

MJH From Backyard Bomber BBQ -- Junior
YS 640 Comp
22.5 Weber Kettle
Blue Thermopen

Comp Team
Wine & Swine
WineMaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2008, 11:42 AM   #11
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elvis67 View Post
I do the buttermilk thing as well but add hot sauce to the buttermilk. Gotta have plenty of garlic powder in the seasoned flour. Then mashed taters gravy and corn. YUM!!
Yes, or cyanne.

Follow the Alton Brown approach and you can't go wrong. Some keys are not totally submersing your chicken in oil while frying, flour+season+flour, let it floured chicken rest for a couple minutes before frying, and BUTTERMILK... overnight is best.

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2008, 07:04 PM   #12
eagle697
is one Smokin' Farker

I think that by putting the hot sauce in the eggwash, you can get much more flavor than in the buttermilk, but thats just my .02.
I also use tons of garlic in the seasoned flour, but if you put the seasoned flour on the outside, the garlic powder can burn and cause the chicken to be bitter.

I love the little almost burned pieces where the chicken touches the bottom of the pan. Pan fried chicken is WAY better than deep fried. It is a must.

2 NB Banderas, Imperial Kamado #5, Imperial Kamado #0, Large Grill Dome, Large Primo Kamado, 22.5 Weber Silver, 18.5 Weber Silver
eagle697 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2008, 10:46 PM   #13
Cabntmkr1
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle697 View Post
For a taste treat... smoke the raw chicken at about 200 f. for about 30 minutes before going ahead and breading and frying it up.
[FONT=Arial]ServSafe Certified[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Déjà Moo - The feeling you've heard that bull before. [/FONT]
Cabntmkr1 is offline   Reply With Quote