MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-28-2013, 01:05 PM   #10516
Durzil
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboi6 View Post
Thanks Bludawg. I cant wait to fire this thing up and cook on it. I assume it will take a while to come up to temp with that few lit coals but that's what it's all about right?
I use 12 in my chimney. I cook most things at 275* these days so could probably start with a few more. Just been using that number from the start. No problems cooking at lower temps.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:41 PM   #10517
jonboi6
Found some matches.

Thanks guys. Planning on a mess of ribs for a superbowl party this weekend. Cant wait!

Old 02-01-2013, 03:36 AM   #10518
mike5150
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboi6 View Post
Thanks guys. Planning on a mess of ribs for a superbowl party this weekend. Cant wait!
Ribs are the best thing I done on mine this far I used the 3-2-1 method and they was so tinder and tasty.:thumbup:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Old 02-01-2013, 04:25 AM   #10519
Skidder
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyK View Post
I was watching a YouTube video and the guy was using digital thermometer that would not only keep track of the internal temp of what he cooking but also let you know what the temp is for the smoker as well.

It was basically two thermometers in one.

It looked pretty awesome...anyone know the best brand and/or place to get one.

Thanks!
I've got 3 Maverick et-7's that have been going strong since 2008. There a tad over $30 on Amazon
Skidder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2013, 04:48 AM   #10520
arne
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Ok, I am about a 7th through this thread, but have read all of those 135 pages so far. I will be picking up a drum on Tuesday night, so now it is time to gather the rest of the parts. As I live in the Netherlands, we have our fair share of cold and wet weather. With slightly more of our share of rain. ;) That means that I want to be careful to use intakes and exhausts that do not allow water in, as I want to be able to 'set and forget' instead of continually looking outside to see whether there are any drops of rain. So, I already found a 2.4" stainless exhaust which essentially is a large 90 degree bend. I guess that would work.
For the intake I would like to use a single intake. Just to cut costs and add simplicity. Rummaging around in the garage I found a Bosch butterfly valve off a car. It is a NOS part that I got off the shelf of a dealership that went bust. I haven't got a clue what car it is from, but it has a very nice 1.5" intake and a good venturi effect being over 2" first, then going to 1.5" where it passes through the valve. I am thinking of creating a mechanism to adjust the opening of the valve with a gas cable. But, would the intake and exhaust sizes work in your opinion?
arne is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-03-2013, 05:05 AM   #10521
BruceKWHP
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Bruce

Quote:
Originally Posted by arne View Post
Ok, I am about a 7th through this thread, but have read all of those 135 pages so far. I will be picking up a drum on Tuesday night, so now it is time to gather the rest of the parts. As I live in the Netherlands, we have our fair share of cold and wet weather. With slightly more of our share of rain. ;) That means that I want to be careful to use intakes and exhausts that do not allow water in, as I want to be able to 'set and forget' instead of continually looking outside to see whether there are any drops of rain. So, I already found a 2.4" stainless exhaust which essentially is a large 90 degree bend. I guess that would work.
For the intake I would like to use a single intake. Just to cut costs and add simplicity. Rummaging around in the garage I found a Bosch butterfly valve off a car. It is a NOS part that I got off the shelf of a dealership that went bust. I haven't got a clue what car it is from, but it has a very nice 1.5" intake and a good venturi effect being over 2" first, then going to 1.5" where it passes through the valve. I am thinking of creating a mechanism to adjust the opening of the valve with a gas cable. But, would the intake and exhaust sizes work in your opinion?

I like an exhaust you can close off, rain not usually a problem in Los Angeles... but I have smoked with an umbrella over the UDS.

is it a throttle body?

Yes. as long as you can regulate the intake to fully closed it should work.

After a cook I like to shut the intake and exhaust fully, that puts the fire out and saves the charcoal for another cook (or 2!)

Old 02-03-2013, 05:23 AM   #10522
arne

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceKWHP View Post
I like an exhaust you can close off, rain not usually a problem in Los Angeles... but I have smoked with an umbrella over the UDS.

is it a throttle body?

Yes. as long as you can regulate the intake to fully closed it should work.

After a cook I like to shut the intake and exhaust fully, that puts the fire out and saves the charcoal for another cook (or 2!)
Yes, it is a throttle body and it closes fully. I just need to have something sturdy that goes against the strength of the spring on it, so it stays open nicely. I don't have anything to close the exhaust yet, but that shouldn't be all to hard to cap off. Might even try and get a large cork to fit it.

Now the next challenge is to find an old que, as they are expensive here and real hard to find in February. Nobody here thinks about barbecue until well in May...

Old 02-03-2013, 02:39 PM   #10523
sethga
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrn View Post
You can also just use the ashes to absorb the grease. It's free!

The wider you make your basket, the more grease it will catch.

I don't use an ash pan. Just let the ash fall to the bottom. When you get ready for a cook, take your basket out and spread ash around the bottom. It'll soak up the grease. Then use a shop vac to clean it out. Works like a charm! If no shop vac, you can make a scoop. Garden hoe works good too. But the ash does a great job soaking up the grease.
Thanks pal! Just had the UDS going for a brisket, will have to inspect the bottom and see how the litter works out. Good idea on the ash

Old 02-04-2013, 11:13 AM   #10524
arne

Might not go with the throttle body as I found a 2" ball valve today for a fiver including two pieces of stainless steel pipe. It still needs a bit of work as I need to clean it out and get the two pieces of pipe off and reassemble later.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:24 AM   #10525
hermy65
Found some matches.

ive been thinking about making one of these and this thread may have just pushed me over the edge...
hermy65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2013, 11:45 AM   #10526
BigTone

I saw on youtube a guy who had a third rack close to the coals where he put a diffuser (Pizza Plate) to help evenly distribute the heat. I was thinking of using this third rack to place a water tray or diffuser depending on what Im smoking. My question, do you guys recommend a "diffuser" and can I put a water tray that close to the coals? thanks, ~Anthony
BigTone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2013, 12:05 PM   #10527
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

I have a third rack and have experimented with different types of diffusers depending on the type of cook but I eventually got accustomed to using no diffuser as intended for the UDS and my cooks have been pretty consistent since, regardless of the type of cook.

Old 02-05-2013, 01:25 PM   #10528
foam2
Full Fledged Farker

I tried a few cooks without a diffuser and granted the temp outside during the last cook was 9 degrees, but I did notice without a diffuser I get more drippings coming off the lid. I did have my drum modified to accept rods to hang meat and maybe I will try to plug those when using the racks to see if there is a difference, but without a diffuser I seem to get more moisture drippings from the lid.
foam2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2013, 04:25 PM   #10529
funugy
Take a breath!

I tend to use a cheapo pizza pan for a diffuser. I started without one and had problems with meats in the center and bottom rack crisping up more than the outer edges. I ended up with the diffuser, and after a few cooks decided to drill a bunch of 5/8" holes in it. Problem was when I cooked spares once, when I opened the lid to check the meat the rendering fat on the diffuser lit up and I had a massive flame. Since then I have always used foil to wrap the diffuser, makes for easy cleaning too.

I have done a few cooks without the diffuser, but prefer it. Now, when I do chicken, I start with the diffuser in place, then when ready to finish the skin I remove the diffuser in order for a more direct heat to crisp it up a little. works great!
funugy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2013, 05:10 PM   #10530
Sizzl
Got Wood.

I use disposable aluminum pans when I need indirect/direct during cooking.
Sometimes I use aluminum pans for the whole cook. The drum stays clean...:D

Sent from my GS3 via Tapatalk 2

Thanks from:--->

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker