• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

?? for sposorship

Butcher BBQ

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I have been talking with some BBQ teams over the last few months about what they expect and what they give for a sponsor’s product.

I am needing some input from this forum on a few subjects: First, Will you fly a plastic corrugated sign at the cookoffs with my logo? How would you want it worded "I use Butcher BBQ products:" or "ask me about using Butcher BBQ products" you get the idea any new phrases will be considered.

Would you consider cooking under a contingency program where I list out certain cookoffs,if attended and place we will pay $ in return for you allowing us to post on our web site your winnings.

Post any other ideas you have or send me a PM if you don't wish to publish what you already have.

David, I will call soon to offer my input. Hope you are well, talk soon, Steve.

Thanks everyone for your information about you teams. Everyones team is important. But I am also looking for specific info on what your will ing to have in a written contract.

If I was to sign anything, it better have a monetary amount with it. I would not sign anything for just product. A signature requires a contract and if a sponsor wants me for a contract, that monetary reward needs to be there.

I've got other suggestions, but it appears everyone is taking them off-line? I was thinking you were looking for suggestions. Not private proposals?

Scottie

I'm with scottie on this one. Money talks product walks.

First, I don't inject my brisket and they do pretty well (2nd and 4th in the last 2 contests). So I wouldn't use your brisket injection, however, my pork needs help so I would probably use the injection for that. I'd try anything to bring that pork up.

second, if you want somebody to use your product exclusively in a contest then i would expect you to pay for the entire contest. (meat, entry,gas for the drive, and beer:biggrin:)

No need to re-invent the wheel here. Most smaller race teams have 1 or 2 primary spaonsors who foot the lions share of the bill, and then have many "contingency" sponsors.

Example;
My buddy who drag races locally / regionally has a sponsorship from the local Miller Lite distributor as well as from a local body shop. The body shop does all paint work on the car and pays entry fees. In return, they get their info on the the rear quarters. The Miller Lite guys have an emblem on the hood, trunk lid, and back bumper. They pay all of his travel expenses and provide beer. His contingency sponsors get a small piece of the front fenders and pay an agreed upon amount for each Win, 2nd, or 3rd.

Ps - I primarily cater and vend as opposed to doing contests, serving in the neighborhood of 25,000 - 30,000 people (verifiable to a potential sponsor through sales history) a year, plus pull my trailer down the road regularly.

I would be open to some sort of advertising incentive. Something like "We use Butchers for all of our contest cooking! See us at www.butchersbbq.com" on my trailer in return for monetary compensation.

Last edited:
If I was to sign anything, it better have a monetary amount with it. I would not sign anything for just product. A signature requires a contract and if a sponsor wants me for a contract, that monetary reward needs to be there.

I've got other suggestions, but it appears everyone is taking them off-line? I was thinking you were looking for suggestions. Not private proposals?

Scottie

I think most of us are just sharing some of our arrangements with other sponsors - for example purposes. No private proposals... I just didn't feel the need to put all my private agreements out in the thread.

Scottie
I agree with Scottie 100% - if there is a contract involved, it is going to have to be worth enough $$ to make it worth my time. Dollars on the table, not product. Unfortunately product is one of the smaller expenses at a contest.

Ps - I primarily cater and vend as opposed to doing contests, serving in the neighborhood of 25,000 - 30,000 people (verifiable to a potential sponsor through sales history) a year, plus pull my trailer down the road regularly.

I would be open to some sort of advertising incentive. Something like "We use Butchers for all of our contest cooking! See us at www.butchersbbq.com" on my trailer in return for monetary compensation.

This is where most of my larger sponsors come in -- they want the presence on my website, my shirts, and banners,.... so that they get "eyes" on thier name. It is a marketing/advertising expense for them. They weigh it against other uses for those dollars, like say, direct mail. I cook several charity events throughout the year, cook minimum of 15 contests, and cater... Some only want small local exposure, and the $$ are less, commensurate to the visability they want.

Andy, I was thinking more in the generic terms. I don't want to know everyone's exact deals. But you could also say, I have a sponsor that gives me product and they can use my pictures and results for their advertsing.... As I am thinking this could help a lot Brethren and not just Butchers BBQ. It would be benefitial to our entire community.

So I will start out. I have a monetary sponsor that only wants comp bbq once or twice a month. They don't want a banner, just bbq. I also have to go and give a speech/pep talk at his business. Which that event is catered and not by me... lol

I think you can have a balance of sponsors that are monetary and product.

My beer sponsor is just product 100% all I do is have his banner and cook with and drink his beer. Thats it and that works for us.

The other sponsors we have are all individual agreements some monetary some product.

We do cstomer appreciation days for them demo days etc. it all depends.

Also we are just a small team starting out. This has been our first full year. Sometimes those little expenses such as foil pans etc can really add up quick.

There is certainly a hierarchy of sponsors, with in-kind/product providers being lower on the totem pole than cash sponsors that are putting up for entry fees, fuel, etc. We would never consider any kind of "contingency" arrangement where the company only pays if the team wins. You're either a sponsor or you're not. Offering money after the fact is a paid endorsement, something entirely different than being a sponsor.

All points well taken, That is why all I ask for was information on how one would like to see a sponsorship set up or ideas on how its already working in the BBQ world. Keep them coming.

You guys seem to be kind of harsh on a very small company trying to offer product and maybe some cash...

I'm just a little fish, but I'd take product, and if I walk, I get some cash, that would be even better...

I know for a fact that some companies have set up sponsorships this way in the past...

Back