MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-19-2013, 08:58 PM   #16
Q Junkie
is One Chatty Farker

I have found that rubbing with mustard only makes me have to wash my hands and spice jars 2x more that when I don't use it.
So maybe it does serve a purpose!?
Q Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 08-19-2013, 11:38 PM   #17
stephan
is one Smokin' Farker

I use to use mustard, but I have not used anything to hold on the rub in years I just dont think it adds anything to the end product. I just sprinkle rub or seasoning on about an hour or so before I toss the meat in the smoker
stephan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2013, 12:04 AM   #18
Gasket
Full Fledged Farker

I used to use a mustard slather that has beer, brown sugar, a little homemade rub, and some tabasco in it on everything. I then made some ribs with the slather and my rub on it, some with a layer of Lawreys and then my no salt rub on it and a couple slabs with just some kosher salt and my rub on it. The lawreys ribs were way to salty, the ones with the slather and rub on it were pretty good, but the ones with just kosher salt and a little rub on them were by far the best ones. I now only use the slather on butts and whole shoulders because I think the bark comes out a little more flavorful on those bigger cuts of pork, but that could just be a bunch of bull chit also.

Old 08-20-2013, 06:44 AM   #19
AWaters
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamMadMan View Post
^

I let the liberally rubbed butt sit covered in the fridge for about 12 hours, and then let it sit at room temp for 1 hour, and then apply another coat of rub before putting in the cooker.

I get both a great bark and a good smoke ring..
This is EXACTLY what I do for butts, having abandoned any prerub coating all together.

Thanks for all the comments, everyone!

Alex
AWaters is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2013, 08:16 AM   #20
El Ropo
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Roger

I will still use zesty Italian dressing as a binder at times. Most of the time I just apply moderate amount of rub directly on the meat lately. I always seem to get great smoke rings, even when using the Italian dressing. Getting flavor into the meat has never been an issue for me. I want the meat to taste like meat.

The only thing I use mustard for is sauce, mainly Shack Attack. I actually don't care for mustard, but it works in the Shack sauce.

2016 Fuji Absolute 2.0 LE (for burning off all the great BBQ)
El Ropo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2013, 08:46 AM   #21
aawa
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludawg View Post
Nope I don't prep until after I light the pit. There is plenty of moisture on the surface of the meat to hold the exact amount of seasoning it needs.
I personally like more seasoning on pork butt than the surface moisture of a butt can hold. With pork butts i do the opposite of you for the most part. I will slather with mustard or olive oil, and then put a thick coat of rub on it. I like a thick bark so that when it mixes in with the inner portion of the butts when pulled give a nice explosion of flavor as well as a nice texture difference.

I have tried your method with the pork butts, and you get a good quality product, but I do prefer laying it on thick with pork butts.

Old 08-20-2013, 08:52 AM   #22
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

"Does a pre-rub coating really do anything? "

Hand cream.

Well, it works for me...

Seriously though, I never do it.
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2013, 08:52 AM   #23
stl-rich
is one Smokin' Farker

I can't remember the last time I saw such complete agreement on a question of 'Q technique. I think I will leave the mustard in the closit but maybe I'll try soray oil on chix
stl-rich is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-20-2013, 09:07 AM   #24
Bludawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
"Does a pre-rub coating really do anything? "

Hand cream.

Well, it works for me...

Seriously though, I never do it.
Be careful when you handle your meat Glove up first

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-20-2013, 11:01 AM   #25
BB-Kuhn
Take a breath!

I like a small bit of olive oil, and I don't over-rub by any means.

Old 08-20-2013, 12:34 PM   #26
GMDGeek
is one Smokin' Farker

After reading several forum posts, watching lots of Pitmaster I did various tests using mustard, Oil(s), water, etc. and what I decided on was it the addition didn't really make any noticeable difference to me.

Put your rubs on early enough and the moisture in the meat takes care of it. I guess a little water isn't bad but all and all ... I just put the rub on about 30 minutes before meat hits the pit.

Old 08-20-2013, 02:49 PM   #27
buccaneer

Food science says: if it contains salt, yes...otherwise, no.