Pellet vs gravity

Buckscent

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I use to do comps years ago with a stick burner and at my age that got old staying up all night. I’m looking at starting back doing some backyards at first and I have a pit boss vertical 5 and probably will be getting a Traeger. My question is are those good “enough” to start doing some backyards and will that do the quality to win. I will eventually get a stumps but just want to get a few under me first if the pellets will work for now. Comments? Ideas? Thanks

We have a fellow brethren that cooks on both a pellet cooker and Stumps. I just sent him a message requesting he chime in :)

I own a MAK 1 Star and a Stumps XL Baby. They are both excellent cookers and IMO, the best brands in their respective classes. That being said if I could only have one, it would be the Stumps. The food that comes off of it is just superior to me, even though the MAK produces a great product as well. A gravity feed has all of the convenience of pellets with the benefit of burning actual chunks or mini splits.

Also, I have the pit boss series 5 vertical and in smoke mode it smokes like crazy. but when on any temp setting not so much. I was thinking treager for my second one but really want a good smoke and not all that heat spikes (if possible out of a pellet)

You can win on anything. It's how you cook, not what you cook on. If you are happy cooking with sticks, why not just cook hot and fast so you don't have to be up all night?

You can win on anything. It's how you cook, not what you cook on. If you are happy cooking with sticks, why not just cook hot and fast so you don't have to be up all night?

Yup I understand what your saying but have always cooked this way for a very long time. Just the way I like to do it. Also understand it’s mostly you but what you cook on is important. Just not sure if you can get that Smoke taste from a pellet. Thanks for the reply

Yup I understand what your saying but have always cooked this way for a very long time. Just the way I like to do it. Also understand it’s mostly you but what you cook on is important. Just not sure if you can get that Smoke taste from a pellet. Thanks for the reply

Toss a piece of wood next to your heat shield...

Smoke is overrated in competition bbq. The Jack was won with pellets last year. I cooked on pellets and did well. I choose not to now not because of the end product but for the reason that I no longer want to rely on electronics

You can win on any cooker. That has been proven over and over on the comp circuit. Not all contests allow electric so you will need to check into the ones you plan on doing. Enjoy the journey.

You can win on any cooker. That has been proven over and over on the comp circuit. Not all contests allow electric so you will need to check into the ones you plan on doing. Enjoy the journey.

Any KCBS contest will allow Pellet cookers or guru's and the llike that run on electricity. None will allow electric smokers.

Not all will provide electric, so it's a good idea to have a generator, but pellets are always allowed/

Yea I have a small Honda 2000 just for those that don’t provide electricity. Actually looking at the grilla grill silverback alpha. I think that will do everything I need. Plus SCA comps as well

We compete with a 1 Star MAK Grill and a 22.5 WSM. We cook butts, briskets, and chicken on the MAK...ribs on the WSM. We have done ok in our neck of the woods on a pellet smoker...��

Just not sure if you can get that Smoke taste from a pellet.

I hear this a lot, and while technically true, I'm not sure if the judges or even the general public care. We cooked on an FEC-100 for 8 years and never once did we get a comment card about lacking smoke. In addition, we cooked next to Jambo teams regularly and swapped samples several times and neither of us to tell the difference in smoke flavor (the Jambo teams tend to cook hotter).

As mentioned, turn in well cooked and well seasoned meat and you will do fine, regardless of the smoker. Get what makes sense for your style and budget and learn to use it!

You can definitely get smoke flavor off a pellet grill, it’s just a lighter and cleaner profile.

Back