Cleaning Pizza Stone Question

H

Hugh Jorgan

I don't know why, but my stone got left out on the picnic table at mom's for a month. :mad2:

Any suggestions on cleaning it?

GEDC2299.jpg

Not suggested but left ours in a self cleaning oven. Wife didn't check before turning on the clean cycle. It looked brand new but I feared that it would crack the stone the next time and never did that again.

You should be heating the stone up to 500+ , I cook at 800. At either temp anything on it will simply brush off.

Thanks, that's what I was thinking, but the bird poop really turned me off. :tsk:

Now.. dont laugh..

When my stone gets real bad, i heat them it up, and rub it down with a heavy ball of crumpled up aluminum foil.. if its really gross(like when a pie tears and dumps all the contents on the stone(dont ask me how I know that happens :redface::thumb:), I take some fine and medium grade sandpaper to it and sand down the entire stone to remove the nasties. it removes a fine powder and restores the stone to like new. I use the BGE stones and they are unglazed so sanding works well and opens up the pores after getting clogged with oil and cheese. Also have done it on BB&B stones, and they seem to be a little tougher which leads me to believe there is a slight glaze on it. The sanding is done on a cold stone.

Im not sure if doing this would ruins a glazed stone.(the one in the picture isnt). I would think it would if thats what u prefer using, but i hate them so removeing the glaze to me is a good thing. I dont like them anyway. Stones should be porous to pull moisture out of the doughs. With those glazed strones you may as well be using teflon.

BTW,

DO NOT USE ANY SOAP ON A STONE! Ever.. It absorbs the soap and the flavor/smell never goes away. The wife put a BB&B stones in the sink and soaked it in Dawn. The next time I preheated it, u can smell the soap coming out of the oven.. It was ruined where it went in the trash.

Thanks Chief. I have experienced the soapy stone effect once before. That is a lesson I won't forget any time soon. Smelled up the whole house. My wife got excited 'cause she thought I was doing the dishes. :rolleyes:

Like Poobah I just scrape mine off with a ball of foil and cook on.........Have you ever looked inside the oven at a really busy pizza joint? They just brush them out and cook on!

Considereing the bird sh*t, if it were mine it would be int trash and I'd buy a new one, they are not that expensive. As far as cleaning a stone without bird sh*t, I do what Pooh does (pun intended):biggrin:!

I use a similar technique as the esteemed Grand Poohbah. Instead of using sandpaper, I give it a healthy shaking of salt. Rubbing the salt with a papertowel or cloth is enough of an abrasive to take the goop off. I do the same thing with my cast iron skillet and dutch oven.

If you were to freeze a piece of dog chit and use to scrap off the bird chit, would they cancel each other out?

Nice tree falling in the forest analogy Bill. :biggrin: My answer would be no to the cancel and yes someone woud hear it.

The stains aren't from the poop. It already had the large stain from leaving a couple of pieces of pie on it for a long time once. When it heats up it smells like pepperoni grease and butter.

GEDC2324.jpg

It looks cleaner; it may be my imagination, but I think I still see white stains where the bird poop was.

Maybe you make a gift of it to your mom and buy yourself a new one... :rolleyes:

I learned a Looooooooonnnnnnnggggggggg time ago from riding stuff that really wasn't all that interested in being ridden that crap is biodegradable, digestible and prolly won't kill ya.

Fire up the grill and run it up to ramming speed and then go with it. Anything that survives 500 degrees is too tough to argue with anyways.

Bird chit for breakfast regards

Bubba

Back