Trader Joe's Bacon Wrapped Porchetta Pork Roast

Ron_L

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is a packaged product from Trader Joe's, but it was so good I thought you folks should check it out or try to make you own.

http://www.traderjoes.com/fearless-flyer/article/2707

It is a pork shoulder roast that was butterflied and then rolled with herbs and then wrapped in bacon. I ended up cooking it in the oven (it was cold and I was feeling lazy :redface:) but there is no reason why it couldn't be done in the smoker or indirect on a grill.

23479904979_b8f4cc8c55.jpg

23765337261_edfb87dcc8.jpg

It comes in a plastic tub, but the roast inside is vacuum sealed, so it should freeze well. I think I am going to buy another one for the freezer, and then try to make my own at some point.

I'm not sure how long they will have them in the stores, but if you have a TJs nearby this is worth checking out!

Last edited:
That one was 3.5 lbs. They all looked close to that, but I am sure that they vary.

So, probably started with a pork loin????? I've done a couple starting with a loin and stuffed with herbs & feta but that looks so easy and good I've got to give it a try if I can find them.

Looks yummy... I make variants of those often. Buy the 2 pack pork loin at Costco and cut them and pound out so they're about 1/4" thick and then roll them up with your fillings of choice (spinach, feta, bacon, pancetta, onions, jalapeno jelly, etc, etc) and then wrap with bacon, it's great eats for sure! Plus when you pound out and roll them up they have great presentation.

Description says pork shoulder. What temp did you cook it to?

Yeah, I was just reading that. By the shape I assumed it was a loin. I took it to 155 and then rested for 20 minutes, so it was probably around 160. It was very similar in texture and tenderness to a loin.

thanks! I will get one on Monday on my way home from work as there is not a TJ by my house but I stop there all the time on my commute!!

Italian shop around here always has these but minus the bacon. Very tasty for sure.

That looks great plus it gives me an idea about what to do with the loins I just picked up for $1.89/lb. Although the lazy factor could go into effect and I'll pick one of those badboys up at trader Joe's!
Thanks Ron

Ron that looks really good may have to check this out I never think of going to Trader Joes

:tsk::tsk:
Went to TJ's yesterday to pick up a couple of these.

Alas................they are "seasonal" and no longer in stock. :sad:

Yep, that's what we were told Sunday, not available until next Christmas :tsk::tsk::tsk:

But jot to be denied, I'm thinking I'll just make a couple out of pork loin or boneless shoulder; any hints on the seasoning mix!

:tsk::tsk:

Yep, that's what we were told Sunday, not available until next Christmas :tsk::tsk::tsk:

But jot to be denied, I'm thinking I'll just make a couple out of pork loin or boneless shoulder; any hints on the seasoning mix!

The TJ's near me had quite a few left yesterday. I picked up another one for the freezer.

The link in the first post says "garlic, lemon, sage, oregano, and rosemary". I'm going to use that as a starting point when I make my own.

Back