Need opinions on offset trailer pits

MCBBQ15

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
I just attended my first Kcbs event and I must say I am hooked. I am about to invest in an offset trailer pit and have looked at numerous options. I am planning on getting an insulated firebox. I was wanting some feedback on quarter inch pipe or a roled seven gauges smoke chamber. I am trying to make a desicion I know it's all about preference but I would like to know pros and cons. It would be like comparing a gator pit and a jambo pit. Thank you for your time.

Jambo is the absolute best competition offset smoker. The con is they are expensive and the wait time is long.

Jambo is the absolute best competition offset smoker. The con is they are expensive and the wait time is long.

What about them make them the best? I am assuming it's the rolled smoke chamber but what about them?

I insulated the firebox on an Oklahoma Joe (1/4) trailer model and I can say the insulated firebox is more important than the wall thickness of the pit. If you are comparing for the basis of KCBS, quite a few teams of the year have used Jambos.

Depends on what you're budget is....East Texas Smoker Company builds a nice reverse flow rig. Pits by JJ in Houston does good work, and don't forget about Pitmaker in Houston also, you can have an offset and a vertical on the same rig.

What about them make them the best? I am assuming it's the rolled smoke chamber but what about them?

Design, build quality and track record on the competition circuit. Go to another contest and talk to the Jambo owners and you'll see.

R&O smokers out of Texas is awesome pits, they are very similar in design and quality as the Jambo's. They have a wait time as like any quality built pit but nothing like the Jambo wait. The owners are very nice and well respected I would take a good look at them.

Champion Smokers out of Knoxville is what we have. Very nice pit!

Many choices brother ! The builders already mentioned are all good in my book. But, my dollars are going to Lang. I only have 8 more months till' my money is right for an 84 original !! ... fark yeah ! http://www.langbbqsmokers.com/

Good luck with your choice,.. it's a biggy !

What's the budget? There is a beautiful R&O for sale on Facebook for $8200.

It's a closed group but if you are on FB and send me a friend request I can add you.

https://www.facebook.com/RonLewen

11110883_10203110389035226_4314287274097199173_n.jpg

Hopefully the picture shows up since it is in the closed group as well.

There are many choices. I guess that is why i am wondering. What about a r&o or a jambo allows them to cook so evenly without tuning plates?

They really don't cook that evenly. Folks that use them take advantage of that for different foods. The area near the firebox, for example, is hotter so that's a great place to put chicken.

Back