MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:21 PM   #1
woodburner
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Cook space size?

What is the standard KCBS cook space size(s). I'm thinking of enclosed trailer and I'm considering a 24' with rear ramp. Can you guys give your pro's and con's of enclosed trailers. I can see first issues paying for multi spaces, anyone ever have problems with we're they stick you if you not cooking under a small tent.

Thanks
Woody
woodburner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-04-2013, 09:33 PM   #2
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

I don't think KCBS designates a standard space as that is up to the organizer. But around me 20x30 is pretty common. I got a camper this year and made sure the full length was at most 30' so I don't have to pay to get a bigger spot.

Old 12-04-2013, 09:47 PM   #3
MaximumJEFF
Full Fledged Farker

I think it's an event by event thing. I'm also looking for a toy hauler. And, plan to limit the length to 30ft.

Old 12-04-2013, 11:21 PM   #4
SOB
Full Fledged Farker

Yes it varies from event to event. Several events we do around here, which could be some you might do only give 20x25 spots. Could get tight with a 20ft enclosed and a drop gate, so 24' might be to big but extra spots are always available. That can add up though.

Old 12-05-2013, 12:02 AM   #5
Rookie'48
Quintessential Chatty Farker

KCBS doesn't have anything to do with space size at the contests - that's completely up to the organizer.

At some comps here in the Midwest you might get a 20' X 20' with your entry fee. Additional space is usually available for an extra charge BUT (and this is important!) the later that you wait to sign up the fewer large spots are left. If you want to be sure of having enough room get those entries in early.
Judge Number 6 competition BBQ team

Possibly the only judge ever to get an award from a bunch of cooks

UDS 075 UCB WSM and a bunch of other stuff.
Rookie'48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2013, 03:54 AM   #6
Gowan
is Blowin Smoke!

In these parts I would expect to be paying an oversize site fee about half the time if I had a 24 foot trailer, and an upcharge for RV power about 2/3 of the time. When you go big, you really do need to arrive earlier in order to get a usable site AND have the room to maneuver into it.
Gowan is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-05-2013, 06:01 AM   #7
rolfejr
Full Fledged Farker

A 24' with a beaver tail will not fit in a 30 foot site, especially if you have a team behind you - 24' + 6'6' door + 18" flap = ~32 of body alone. Be sure to take in the tongue length if not included in the overall.

It's really hard to use every single inch of your cook space and still have room to move around.

[I][B][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Rockin' Robyn's BBQ
[/FONT][/B][/I][LEFT][URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Rockin-Robyns-BBQ-Team/107295966034865?ref=tn_tnmn"]Like us on Facebook! [/URL]
Stop by our website!
[URL="http://www.rockinrobynsbbq.com"]www.rockinrobynsbbq.com[/URL]
[/LEFT]
rolfejr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2013, 07:12 AM   #8
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

We always check with the organizers. We've seen everything from 20'x20' to 40'x40'.
Swamp Donkeyz BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2013, 08:24 AM   #9
RumRunner_1492
Full Fledged Farker

This is something I was wrestling with as well. I decided to go with the Grey Wolf 19RR toy hauler. It has a length of 23 feet. I am confident I can fit on a 20x30 space. I will have to unhitch the trailer but that isn't a big deal. I am going to an event in FL that has 20x20 spots. I asked them about more space and they said it was fine as long as I let them know ahead of time. I do think if you are going to be using that much space you need to arrive in the morning. I saw a guy last year roll in around 9pm with a big setup and he had a very tough time getting enough space.
RumRunner_1492 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2013, 09:14 AM   #10
Bourbon Barrel BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Drew

Around here 20x30 is normal. I've got a 24' enclosed and never had a problem. Worst case we drop the rear door and unload the cooker then close it back up and finish backing the trailer in.

Old 12-05-2013, 12:46 PM   #11
CBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

20'x40' is getting common around here - travel trailers, RV's and porch trailers are pretty common sights now. We use a 40' toy hauler RV at contests. Yes, sometimes we have to pay extra for a larger spot, and I'm happy to do so. I find (and more importantly my wife finds ) the capability and comfort of the larger rig outweighs the cost saving on entry fees.
KCBS, KCBS CBJ, NEBS
CBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2013, 03:43 PM   #12
Rub'n Wood BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

In the KC area, be prepared to pay for a extra large space at some events. about 75% of what I cooked in this area had a standard size of 20x20, but you could pay extra for more space.