MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:17 PM   #1
Toney Marconi
Full Fledged Farker

Question TableTop Smoker aka Micro UDS????

I noticed my old Stainless Steel Turkey Fryer pot in my garage today. Last time I used it, it looked as if oil was slowly dripping from the bottom but I couldn't be sure. I took it off the shelf, put some water in it and placed it on some newspaper. Sure enough, it must have a tiny pinhole in the bottom somewhere.

Anyway it is useless as a cooking pot, so I was thinking about trying to turn it in to a Micro UDS. Not sure it is really big enough to work properly. Maybe just something to use for ABTs, Fatties, maybe a very small butt. I'd probably have to fab up a custom grate out of expanded steel - can't seem to find a round grate that small. Probably also have to use the lid that came with it.

What say the Brethren, is t big enough to even give it a shot? If it didn't work, I really wouldn't be out much more than a little time.

Just for reference, this is a 6.5lb butt

Toney Marconi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2013, 09:29 PM   #2
ubp_sanity
Knows what a fatty is.

Most likely need some sort of diffuser in it, so not quite a UDS.

It's an inch too small to work as a Mini-WSM, and it's not good for holding anything, so I can't see any reason not to give it a try.

And it's shiny, it'll look good doing whatever happens with it. That's always a bonus.
ubp_sanity is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2013, 09:31 PM   #3
el_matt
Babbling Farker

Heck yeah you should give it a shot. No reason not to. As you said, you can't use it as a pot anymore. What good is a bucket with a hole in it? Best case scenario, it works. Worst case, you wasted a little time, drank a few beers, and had some fun, and threw it away anyway.

Matt

Old 02-10-2013, 09:36 PM   #4
cashew
Got Wood.

Might as well try it out. I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Need a gas can anyone? It looks like Toney Marconi might be able to loan you one.

Old 02-10-2013, 09:44 PM   #5
Toney Marconi
Full Fledged Farker

Since I'll have to use the original flat lid, there won't be much room between the cooking grate and the heat source so yes it will definitely need a diffuser of some sort. How tall should I make the sides of the charcoal basket? How far off the bottom can I get away with and still have enough airflow?

Old 02-10-2013, 09:46 PM   #6
mbshop
Babbling Farker

ss and a hole in it ? what was in it ? ss can be welded. i think you are going to go through a lot of hassle to get this going. might wanna do some planning before going much further.

Old 02-10-2013, 10:06 PM   #7
Toney Marconi
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashew View Post
Need a gas can anyone? It looks like Toney Marconi might be able to loan you one.
When I was much younger, and much poorer I ran out of gas quite a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbshop View Post
ss and a hole in it ? what was in it ? ss can be welded. i think you are going to go through a lot of hassle to get this going. might wanna do some planning before going much further.
Nothing in the pot but hot oil and turkeys. I don't know how the hole got there and it is too tiny to find. The Turkey Fryer served me well for 5 or more years, it's time to either find a new life or go out trying.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:59 PM   #8
Toney Marconi
Full Fledged Farker

Giving it a test burn in right now

The thing shot up to 375 in no time. Closed off everything but the valve. I've got the valve about 3/4 way open and it seems to have settled down to about 250 or so. Might throw a Nekkid Fatty on there if I can keep the temp steady.

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-15-2013, 10:06 PM   #9
MisterChrister
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Hehehe! Looks like a fun little experiment!

Old 02-15-2013, 10:18 PM   #10
rondini
Full Fledged Farker

There have been many post on here by fellow members making "Mini-UDS" using tamale pots in the I believe 30 Quart size. So yours I think will work fine .

Old 02-15-2013, 10:30 PM   #11
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

I like it! You might see about finding a cheap stainless mixing bowl to use as a lid to get a little more clearance. If you find one the same diameter or slightly smaller than the lid for the pot, you can cut out the center of the lid screw the bowl down to the flanged part.

Also that stainless basket has full size UDS fire basket written all over it!
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2013, 10:40 PM   #12
Toney Marconi
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondini View Post
There have been many post on here by fellow members making "Mini-UDS" using tamale pots in the I believe 30 Quart size. So yours I think will work fine .
Hmmmm, I searched and couldn't find one this small. Most of the Mini UDS seem to be made from either a 16 gallon drum or a tamale pot with the bottom cut out stuck on to a Smokey Joe.

Old 02-16-2013, 02:06 AM   #13
Bob13
Full Fledged Farker

Location: Home of the 11 time World Series Champion Cardinals

Here's a micro UDS...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=124109

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-16-2013, 10:44 AM   #14
Toney Marconi
Full Fledged Farker

I am pleased how well it held temps once I got it dialed in. Put a Nekkid Fatty on, but fell asleep and it got a little overdone on the outside and slightly dried out but still tasty.

This is what is left after about 4.5 hours or so after shaking the ash out - not bad.

I may have to tweak and clean up the exhaust a bit. I really don't have anything that will drill properly through stainless steel.