MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-19-2013, 06:02 AM   #2
jonboy
is One Chatty Farker

Here is a quote from article,
"WE don't need a vigilante group out there with cameras and video cameras taking pictures of things that we just don't like."
Interesting read.
jon
jonboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2013, 07:21 AM   #3
slammmed
Full Fledged Farker

I mean why can't we just TRUST that the company hired inspectors are going to be 100% truthful and best even if it makes the company look bad:)
slammmed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-19-2013, 08:25 AM   #4
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

As a producer (cattle), these left wing, nut-job groups are agenda driven and will use any tactic to discredit a producer. They rarely if ever have any real world appreciation of farming and what it takes to get a quality product to the consumer. Think about it, in my case my cattle are a livelihood and represent a continuous investment of cash and sweat equity: what idiot would abuse them. But if your agenda is "no-red-meat" there ain't a damn thing I can do right. Try this chit on my farm and they will quickly meet Mr. Colt 1911. Yea, I care!

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-19-2013, 09:26 AM   #5
Bludawg
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwfisk View Post
As a producer (cattle), these left wing, nut-job groups are agenda driven and will use any tactic to discredit a producer. They rarely if ever have any real world appreciation of farming and what it takes to get a quality product to the consumer. Think about it, in my case my cattle are a livelihood and represent a continuous investment of cash and sweat equity: what idiot would abuse them. But if your agenda is "no-red-meat" there ain't a damn thing I can do right. Try this chit on my farm and they will quickly meet Mr. Colt 1911. Yea, I care!
Double for me!!! in the words my hero Rooster J. Cogburn "FILL YOUR HAND YOU S.O.B".

Old 03-19-2013, 09:38 AM   #6
Mdboatbum
Full Fledged Farker

Funny there was no mention of PITA, er sorry, PETA in the article. You can bet their grubby little hands are all over the "Undercover Expose`s" and Mercy for Animals.
While I never am in favor of additional legislation addressing something that shouldn't be a problem in the first place, in this case at least I'm happy to see the Legislators sticking up for the farmers.
Mdboatbum is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-19-2013, 09:55 AM   #7
dwfisk

Sorry brothers but this thread pricked a raw nerve. In a previous life I lobbied in Washington and before state legislatures on the behalf of professional natural resource management, rural and agricultural issues. It has been my experience (spanning some 37 years) that these kinds of organizations are all about membership, dues and fund raising, period! The more provocative they are = the more folks feel guilty = more cash flow and the truth be damned. If you care, use your pocket book; don't give them a penny or any other kind of support! Ooh, that felt pretty good, I'm done.

Old 03-19-2013, 10:05 AM   #8
Outnumbered
is Blowin Smoke!

You go, Dave.

Some of these videos, while many are bad actors in the animal production world, have been proven to be staged by the groups themselves. Their infiltrators are active participants in the abuse being video taped...don't forget that little fact either. They're made for TV movies directed by the jackwads at these organizations.

And if these videos are indeed accurate, you never find anybody condeming them more quickly than livestock producers, 99.9% of them who treat their animals with dignity and respect.

Then don't forget the Humane Society of the United States who has the stated goal of ending animal production in the U.S. Think about what that would mean for our little hobby of BBQing here. Then they use the pictures of little puppies and kittens to illicit contributions to help the animals.

Reality time: less than 1/2 of 1% of their entire budget goes to animals shelters. The majority of their budget goes to lobbying, salaries and contributions for retirement funds to their staff. http://humanewatch.org/index.php/the...helter_giving/

These groups are evil. End of story.

When I die, my goal is to have a visible smoke ring when the coroner cuts me open for the autopsy.
Outnumbered is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-19-2013, 12:42 PM   #9
charrederhead
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Pete

Not sure why anyone who is interested in good animal husbandry practices and a healthy food production system in this country would support such legislation.

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-19-2013, 01:33 PM   #10
blues_n_cues
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwfisk View Post

there are 2 sides to the coin.
while I am one of the most vocal opponents of extremist groups like PETA,I'm also against the "coorporate" farms. I live in the middle of farm country too & it's sick to see what is ending up on our plates & in our case here-our milk.I've personally seen a cow in a sling taken to the milking machine or the slaughter house truck when it can't walk on it's own because if production is not met the truck stops coming.
if the farmer has nothing to hide why does he need protection.

remember,most our ungraded or ground beef now comes from retired dairy cows.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...safe/know.html

http://www.ers.usda.gov/media/129274/eib73.pdf

http://www.cnbc.com/id/100388893

Old 03-19-2013, 01:38 PM   #11
GMDGeek
is one Smokin' Farker

Having worked for the SPCA of Texas in the past and my father having worked in Animal Control / Non-Profit Humane Societies for over 30 years - I can tell you that without a doubt the majority of these videos are faked / staged. I've been to over 3 dozen cattle ranches in Texas, a couple chicken farms, and more. Sure the are a little crowded at feeding time, but same can be said about a bunch of students in a cafeteria.

PETA and the rest of those morons need to be put in their place and leave it alone. Farmers / Ranchers aren't going to mess with their livelihood.

Old 03-19-2013, 09:03 PM   #12
dwfisk

Quote:
Originally Posted by blues_n_cues View Post
there are 2 sides to the coin.
while I am one of the most vocal opponents of extremist groups like PETA,I'm also against the "coorporate" farms. I live in the middle of farm country too & it's sick to see what is ending up on our plates & in our case here-our milk.I've personally seen a cow in a sling taken to the milking machine or the slaughter house truck when it can't walk on it's own because if production is not met the truck stops coming.
if the farmer has nothing to hide why does he need protection.

remember,most our ungraded or ground beef now comes from retired dairy cows.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...safe/know.html

http://www.ers.usda.gov/media/129274/eib73.pdf

http://www.cnbc.com/id/100388893
For one, and I think I represent the vast majority of producers, I'm not the least bit threatened or resistant to inspection or peer review by a qualified professional, state or federal agency or even an impartial layman - I routinely host all the above (usually providing a BBQ when they visit I might add). In my experience I always learn more and improve my operation from this kind of interaction, but I'll be damned if I'll extend the same courtesy to one of these agenda driven "groups" or the "media" that have no concept of what it takes to run a cattle ranch and the day-to-day decisions on everything from feeding to breeding to animal health to farm safety.

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-23-2013, 04:28 AM   #13
BobM
Babbling Farker

It would seem to me, that while on private property, it should never be legal to take pictures or video without the consent of the property owner.
| [COLOR=RoyalBlue][COLOR=Red]Weber[/COLOR] 18 1/2" & 22 1/2" WSM[/COLOR], [COLOR=SeaGreen]22 1/2" & 26 3/4" OTG[/COLOR][COLOR=DimGray][COLOR=Black],[/COLOR] [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Genesis S-330[/COLOR][/COLOR] |[COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Black]|[/COLOR] BBQ Guru CyberQ WiFi [/COLOR]| [COLOR=DarkOrange]Maverick ET-732[/COLOR] | [COLOR=Gray]Gray Thermapen[/COLOR] |
BobM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2013, 04:37 AM   #14
kds9547
is one Smokin' Farker

Took my 5 yr old grandson to the circus last weekend and the PETA folks were protesting as we walked to the venue. My grandson said "what's wrong with those people" and I said "they're crazy as hell". Well, not exactly in those words. You don't have to be a veterinarian to see that those animals are well taken care of. It's how they make their living for goodness sake. I tell you what, the circus animals look a lot healthier than the animals at the local zoo.
kds9547 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2013, 06:43 AM   #15
buccaneer
somebody shut me the fark up.

If they've taken in a homeless person i'll listen to them.