MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-28-2004, 10:55 PM   #1
JasonF
Got Wood.

Default ECB smoke #2 was a success- but what to do now?

My first experience with my ECB didn't go over so well, but the second was a resounding success! YEAH!

Anyways, I feel like there must be some clean up procedures that I'm unaware of.

Do you just cool down your grills/smokers/ECB/WSM and just cover 'em up till next time?

Do you thoroughly clean it? Just spray it down with a garden hose?

What about your waterpan/drip pan... mine's full of drippings and such, but I have no clue what to do with it.... throw it in the yard, not an option, it'll probably kill the grass plus the critters will love it! Dump it down the sink? My wife would probably kill me.... what do you do with these unusable leftovers?

Thanks guys- I'm still learning and obviously still full of questions! But, my NuTemp 701 finally came the other day so I'll have that ready to go the next time I'm cooking something! Alright!
JasonF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-29-2004, 09:37 AM   #2
parrothead
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
My first experience with my ECB didn't go over so well, but the second was a resounding success! YEAH!
Practice makes perfect. Congrats.

American Picker Blog
parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-29-2004, 12:43 PM   #3
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

For ashes, set a side a spot in the yard or put them in a paper bag and chuck em in the trash. Dont just drop them in the garbage pail, cause your trash guys will get hit with a puff of soot and not appreciate it. Trust me, mine showed up at my door a few years ago and asked me not to do that anymore. They were covered with ash.

Water pan contents I put into a plastic bag and throw in the garbage or i throw them in a waste pile all the way in the woods behind my house, but i prefer not to do that, usually they go in a plastic bag with the ashes, tie it up and discard.

I dont wash anything down, but i do put the grates over the coals while Im preheating and scrape them off with a wire brush just like you would do a grill. also turn the water paqn over andd put them on the grates, anything stuck to it will just flake off. Maybe once a year at the beginning of the season, things will get a housing off inside.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-29-2004, 01:57 PM   #4
BigAl
is Blowin Smoke!

I dump my ashes in my old grill, then dump water pan into ashes, stir up. Next , I turn water pan upside down over the coals to strelize it. Eventually, shovel out the old grill and spread out wher ever I need a to fill holes in the yard.

You can whip our Cream but you can't beat our SPAM.:clap:
[URL="http://www.AllenWilmer.com"]
[/URL]
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-29-2004, 06:41 PM   #5
chad

I clean the grills or at least soak them.

The water pan usually waits until the next day as does the ash pan.

Yes, I wash my grills and water pan - come just burn 'em off.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-29-2004, 07:51 PM   #6
Bill-Chicago

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

Jason
Only David is close on this one.

I was on the ECB for 2 years before upgrading.

Grill grates, scrub them each and every time. Before each smoke, spray with cooking oil. Makes clean up super easy.

Water pan, that gets dumped in the terlet, while the grease is still hot and can flow down there without getting stuck.

Ashes, let them cool overnight, then start an ash pile in your garden. I got about a 1 foot high pile, and I'll turn it under in the spring.

Just my opin

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-29-2004, 08:29 PM   #7
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

Watch out dumping that ashpan in the terlet... Bills in Chicago, his terlet probably runs into the sewer system. Mine goes into a cesspool. If you got a cesspool or septic tank, ya dont want to be dumping grease into it. I got a spot in the yard for the ashes too. If ya dumping them in flowerbeds, they are very acidic, need lime to counteract that.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-29-2004, 09:02 PM   #8
chad

I still use my ECB. Got the horizontal New Braunfels but there are times when the ECB is just the ticket (like for pulled pork!). My ECB still has a place in the first team lineup.

"It's all about getting paid!" - Myron Mixon
"I love being hated in my hometown!" - David Hair

KingFisher Gator Rotisserie cooker (RIP), WSM (RIP), Stainless 5 burner with IR gas grill (RIP), Turkey Fryer, Weber JD Commemorative grill (RIP), Masterbuilt 40" insulated ELECTRIC smoker (new heating element),
Pit Boss Tailgater pellet pooper.
chad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-01-2004, 12:39 AM   #9
smokeypig
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Papa Stu

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFLittle
I still use my ECB. Got the horizontal New Braunfels but there are times when the ECB is just the ticket (like for pulled pork!). My ECB still has a place in the first team lineup.
okydokey. another newbie question: what's an ecb?
smokeypig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-01-2004, 07:43 AM   #10
Bill-Chicago

Location: Chicago Southwestern Burbs, but always south of Madison Ave.
Name/Nickname : Professor Dickweed

El Cheapo Brinkman

The death of "willkat98"

Me: If you aren't woke, that means you're still sleeping, right?
Kid today: That's racist!

Bandera, M-BGE, WSM, Gold Kettle, Kenmore Gasser, 36Qt Turkey Fryer, ECB, Dutch Oven, Black Iron BBQ Viper-M, Blackstone 36" Griddle
Bill-Chicago is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-01-2004, 07:45 AM   #11
smokeypig
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Papa Stu

thx.....
Love is in the air! No, wait. That's Barbecue. Nevermind
----------------------
LANG 36D, NB Black Diamond, Purveyor of Fine Swine and Originator of the Fatty, Right-Wing whackadoo (and according to the Dept of Homeland Security, quite possibly a threat to National Security)
smokeypig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-01-2004, 02:07 PM   #12
tommykendall
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
El Cheapo Brinkman
I thought it was el cheapo bullet - that way all encompassing.