• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Consideration of UDS Build

andre2955

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Greetings Brethren: I'm considering a UDS build. I currently use a large BGE and am after more cooking surface area and more portability. Can those who have built a UDS recommend a hardware kit?

udsparts.com has a ton of different parts. That have pre bundled kits and also sell the parts individually so you can taylor your drum to your specific needs.

I used the BPS kit. It's a great starter kit but if I were to do it over, I'd build NY own kit to have a larger coal basket, an adjustable grate system, and maybe a smoke stack for exhaust like hunsakerinstead of just 8 holes and a daisy wheel. I also wish I would have started with a stainless steel drum. there's a place in TN that has them for under $200 picked up and I got a buddy that lives close.

uds are simple. pretty much EVERYTHING you NEED can be found at lowes or home depot.

I second That! Just make sure if you use a flat lid, you leave enough room for putting normal bbq items on. I put my top rack on about an inch too high so certain things touch the lid when they tighten up during a cook.

I suppose I should add to this that when I built mine, I looked at a lot of designs and read some stuff on here, then planned and bought stuff. I know that there are kits, but I am a little frugal. I had to assess my abilities of construction which, being low, I needed something easy to build.

Last edited:
Back