MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-22-2007, 10:59 PM   #1
Beerwolf
Take a breath!

Default Mayday! I built it ... now help me fix it

OK I got my pig machine up and running... got a couple of fabrication issues I need to resolve... input is appreciated :

This pit has the firebox under it and inthe middle. Alas I am getting a nice little grease leak. Ive welded the farker about 3x and still am getting a dribble. Im considering some hi temp silicone. Any other ideas?

I comitted a MAJOR fabrication error: After the door opening, I used some C Clamps to form the 1/8" x 2 flange around the door. Problem being, I slightly straightened the door in doing this and have a small air leak at the lower corners. ( Anyone considering this needs to remember to attatch a bar clamp to the edges of the door cutting to maintain the concave shape of the door)

Sealing this door thing needs to happen, I am considering either silicone or Rope, but should I run it all the way around the door or just at the opening?
ll take any ideas.. even dumb ones, but then again, the only dumb one is the one that isnt brought up!
Beerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2007, 12:24 AM   #2
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Can you post some pictures? It may be easier to offer a fix.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2007, 12:39 AM   #3
tkuehn5410
Full Fledged Farker

Personally, I'd go with silicone - easy to fix if you don't fix it right the first time. It's also much easier to deal with than rope.

Old 07-23-2007, 07:29 AM   #4
Captain Caveman
is one Smokin' Farker

on mine, I used hi-temp silicone to hold the rope gasket on. I bet silicone would work by itself though.
2 Hotrod Black "Gravity Feed" clones
Mobile Kitchen
Towable offset
CBJ #24304
KCBS member #24304
Captain Caveman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2007, 07:48 AM   #5
ZBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Where is the grease leaking out of?
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=blue][B][COLOR=red]Big Z's Sweet Gold[/COLOR] -[/B] [COLOR=black]R[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Georgia]ich honey mustard flavor with a BBQ kick. [/FONT][/FONT]
Great on chicken, burgers, brats, great on ribs too!
Get ya some @ [URL="http://www.greatlakesbbqsupply.com/product.sc?categoryId=3&productId=10"]Great Lakes BBQ Supply Co.[/URL]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Palatino Linotype]WSM, Weber Gasser, Weber OTG[/FONT]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Garamond][COLOR=black]"Tilly"[/COLOR][/FONT] - Spicewine Single Axle[/FONT]
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/Big-Zs-Sweet-Gold/115561446787?ref=nf"][COLOR=#810081]http://www.facebook.com/pages/Big-Zs-Sweet-Gold/115561446787?ref=nf[/COLOR][/URL]

[/FONT]
ZBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2007, 08:05 AM   #6
Beerwolf
Take a breath!

The grease is leaking out of the seam between the heat riser and the bottom of hte smoke chamber... Ill work on pics, Ex wifey has digital and is being "difficult" this week.
Beerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2007, 08:06 AM   #7
tonto1117
is One Chatty Farker

Not sure, but this might be a quick fix...

Thermo-insulation Tape

Geer Pit by Jambo
FEC-100
WSM
WEBER GENISES GAS GRILL

CBJ

Bacon & eggs - Hens are involved but pigs are commited.
tonto1117 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2007, 08:21 AM   #8
timzcardz
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerwolf View Post

I comitted a MAJOR fabrication error: After the door opening, I used some C Clamps to form the 1/8" x 2 flange around the door. Problem being, I slightly straightened the door in doing this and have a small air leak at the lower corners. ( Anyone considering this needs to remember to attatch a bar clamp to the edges of the door cutting to maintain the concave shape of the door)
Are you sure it was the flange fabrication?

Not sure of the situation, but it sounds like this is made from a tank, and the door was cut out of the tank. If so, was the door an issue at all before the flange was added, possibly due to residual stress in the steel that was released by the cutting? Residaul stress would cause it to straighten slightly.

As opposed to heat straightening of steel, can you heat curve it back to the desired shape?
Weber Genesis Silver x 2
Weber One Touch Gold
Weber Performer x 2
Weber Smokey Joe
Bottle of Absolut
Bottle of Beer
Everything Ripken, "Cards and Que. One tastes of cardboard, the other sweet blue." ©
timzcardz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2007, 09:10 AM   #9
ZBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Did you clean the seam before welding? Even a TINY amount of grease INSIDE the crack will blow a hole in your weld.
(I welded for years)

2 options I can think of:

Use a grinder and cut/dig the seam out till you are completely through. Use a good degreaser to clean an area around the seam to be welded about a foot all around (so that when you are welding the grease doesn't start running and get into the weld) then weld it shut. Use filler rod if you aren't good enough to fill a hole and stitch it shut.

The easier of the two:

Clean the outside area around the seam about a foot all the way around (grind any paint off too) and then weld a "patch" over the seam that is leaking. I would make the patch at least 4 inches larger than the leaking spot. Both longer and taller. Tack it at the corners, then half way in between that then weld the bottom first, then the sides and top last. That way if a tiny bit of grease comes out of the seam it you SHOULD have the bottom welded before it hurts anything.

Hope this helps. Any more questions just ask.
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Georgia][COLOR=blue][B][COLOR=red]Big Z's Sweet Gold[/COLOR] -[/B] [COLOR=black]R[/COLOR][/COLOR][/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Georgia]ich honey mustard flavor with a BBQ kick. [/FONT][/FONT]
Great on chicken, burgers, brats, great on ribs too!
Get ya some @ [URL="http://www.greatlakesbbqsupply.com/product.sc?categoryId=3&productId=10"]Great Lakes BBQ Supply Co.[/URL]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Palatino Linotype]WSM, Weber Gasser, Weber OTG[/FONT]
[FONT=Palatino Linotype][FONT=Garamond][COLOR=black]"Tilly"[/COLOR][/FONT] - Spicewine Single Axle[/FONT]
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/pages/Big-Zs-Sweet-Gold/115561446787?ref=nf"][COLOR=#810081]http://www.facebook.com/pages/Big-Zs-Sweet-Gold/115561446787?ref=nf[/COLOR][/URL]

[/FONT]
ZBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2007, 09:39 AM   #10
Captain Caveman
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Caveman View Post
on mine, I used hi-temp silicone to hold the rope gasket on. I bet silicone would work by itself though.
Sorry, I thought you were talking about sealing your firebox door.
2 Hotrod Black "Gravity Feed" clones
Mobile Kitchen
Towable offset
CBJ #24304
KCBS member #24304
Captain Caveman is offline   Reply With Quote