just assembled a UDS, what temps

themcfarland

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
So, With expanded metal fire basket, one inch from bottom of barrel and 15 lbs of coal for the first fire and temp test. I first got the top layer going and put a dome lid on it and after getting the fire going for 15 min or so, I placed the lid with the vent open and it ran 350-365 for an hr and this was with 3 -1/2 inch intakes.. and 4- 1/4 inch intakes

After getting bored I placed the flat lid on and closed the 1/4 inch intakes and one 1/2 intake leaving 2 -1/2 inch intakes open.. I am seeing 265 to 275 for an hour or so..

Now, I know its covered somewhere but my being a lurker and just rare one at that, I am not familiar enough to find where you guys say I need to run beef brisket and for how long.

any advice?
Thanks in advance..

Dave

There is no certain set time that brisket is done. I had some stubborn briskets at a comp this weekend. one tendered up @207 and one that didn't tender up till 213 internal. It's all by feel to cook a brisket perfect alot if us like 275-300 on drums.

300 for 4 hrs Fat cp down
wrap in butcher back on Fat Cap up
1-2 hrs it will go probe tender in the thickest part of the flat
remove from pit allow to rest on the counter for 2 hrs or until the Internal temp drops into the 150's

Your choice. Traditionally low temps, like 225. Nowadays people cook them from 250 up to 300 or so. My preference is about 260. Get to know your UDS a bit through several cooks before you commit big money on an 18lb brisket packer. Have fun!

Great advice, thanks guys..
Well, checked it all night, and it held easily at 305*. now for 13.5 hours but coming down now to 275*
I can throttle it down SOME but it likes 285* to 315* range with flat lid.. higher with dome.

Its odd that the small hole in the barrel changes temps that much..
It will change some I think when I add a pan and grates, and meat but Thank you for the advice and the forum..

Back