Gateway Drum Smoker

$500 for something you could build for under 100, or next to free? Not sure about that. Also, it doesn't say what size the drum is. Looks like a 30 gallon. Then it would make sense to be a faster cooker. Regardless, no way $500 makes sense. Just me take.

Looks like they offer 30 and 55 gallon. Looks like a 30 shown. Still, $500?

They look nice and well put together but from what I can see they are designed like a regular UDS.

custom_drum-2.jpg

custom_drum-4.jpg

Standard Price: $495

NEW Smooth Drum Barrel
2 Intakes
1 Fire Box Liner
1 Fire Basket
3" Thermometer
1 Cooking Grate
1 Exhaust
Primed and Painted Standard Black
---------------------------------------
Additional Features:
Logo Plate...$30
Custom Logo...$50
Custom Paint...$25
Caster Wheels...$50
26" Grill Cover...$25
Additional 2" Thermometer...$22
Additional Grates...$18

$740 if you ordered all the "extras". :shocked:

Like it has been said you can build one a whole lot cheaper in an afternoon even if you go with a new drum you will still come in under $200.
Yes they do produce awesome BBQ they are cooking machines. However you will never finish a brisket in 4 hrs at 250 unless you have a busted thermometer. I cook mine at 300 and I'm at 7 hrs average time.

Way over priced. Nothing special about them either to make them worth the ~$500 base price. Don B. in STL makes drums as well and sells them via craigslist and his super deluxe top end model only adds up to be $425.

As far as the brisket in 4 hours...I guess if you did a tiny one at 325 you could do it but any real size brisket will at the very least take 6 hours.

I am not familiar with that brand and have not seen one in person. But, it looks like and smells like a standard UDS, and as others have said you can build it yourself for far less cash and use your leftovers funds to buy some food to cook.

that's a pitbarreluglysmokerdrumcookerthingy oh snap! gotta get one.jk I think it's way cheaper to make one yourself, even if you buy the bps kit to bling it up a little you'll still come in under $200. however some people have lots of money to blow and not enough time to blow it.

you can buy a nice pellet pooper, or stick burner for that much

I know guys who would rather buy one of these cause they want a UDS but don't wanna build them and have more money than they know what to do with it.

I don't see where they are making that claim, I read the description.

'One, 8 pound load of natural lump charcoal will last for at least 14 hours at 250 degrees. You will be able to cut your cooking times in half!'

And the left hand column, 1/4 of the way down on this page:
http://gatewaybbqstore.com/gateway-drum-smokers/

chicken in 30 minutes, ribs in 2 hours, pork and brisket in 4 hours.

Eric

Well I think if you look at the pages one at a time, you don't see a claim of 250 cutting your times down.

The ad is not worded in the best way but here: http://gatewaybbqstore.com/grills/smokers/ovens/gateway-drum-smoker/

it states that you can get 14 hours on 8lbs of lump at 250 degrees. and then adds that it will cut your cooking time in 1/2.

I don't use lump but on Stubbs briquets I got 14 hours on about 10 lbs easily but my design is a bit different. And yes, it reduced my cooking times significantly over a traditional offset or pellet cooker.

Then here:http://gatewaybbqstore.com/gateway-drum-smokers/

It lists some times. I find no inaccuracies there but notice that above the times there is a blurb about avoiding traditional low and slow and going to hot and fast. Depending on size of the cut and alot of these guys use flats don't forget, 4 hours hot and fast brisket is easily achievable but the heat will be ramped way up.

Yeah, they are cooking machines. Yes they look like a million bucks.

The do cook very hot and fast. There is a design reason that a side mounted thermometer would read 250 while the middle is 400-425 (if any one tried to make that claim).

No, I am not buying one.

I use one. They like to run at 300-325. They hold a rock steady temperature for several hours. At a competition, you can start you fires at 5, put your meat on at 5:30, pull it off and into the cambro at 11:00, and be picking up your trophy at 4.

I don't have the time, equipment, or patience to build my own. Even if I did, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't look or cook as good as the gateway. Well worth the extra money in my opinion.

Back