MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:54 PM   #1
dedmete
Knows what a fatty is.

Default UDS rack and meat rotation

I made a new, taller lid last weekend and added a second cooking rack. I am planning on cooking 4 butts this weekend, 2 on each rack. How often would you rotate the racks? How about turning the butt's?
dedmete is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2009, 08:04 PM   #2
Weiser
is one Smokin' Farker

Why would you bother turning them or rotating for that matter?
Drink beer instead. It is much easier.

What style of exhaust are you using on the taller lid?
That could influence my answer.

Weiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedmete View Post
I made a new, taller lid last weekend and added a second cooking rack. I am planning on cooking 4 butts this weekend, 2 on each rack. How often would you rotate the racks? How about turning the butt's?
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/COLOR]
Weiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2009, 08:56 PM   #3
Bbq Bubba
somebody shut me the fark up.

No rotating or turning.....its a drum!
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2009, 09:08 PM   #4
smooookin
is One Chatty Farker

You cant get 4 butts on one rack?

Old 04-03-2009, 11:10 PM   #5
thirdeye

Quote:

I start them fat side down, and in a couple of hours turn them. You will notice the characteristic stripes on that first turn. Then I smoke them for about 3 more hours and turn the fat down again. Within 4 hours they are usually done. When doing two racks full, the lower one will need turned earlier, and to balance out the cook I swap the upper for the lower after 90 minutes, turning the butts on the grate that wind up in the top position. Often when it's time for the next turn, the butts will have shrunk enough to get all of them on the upper rack.

Having two people makes rotating the racks quick and easy, but if you don't have that option, set-up a table near the cooker

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2009, 01:04 AM   #6
Desert Dweller
Babbling Farker

Location: Mesa, AZ Not exactly hell, but the zip code is very close...

Kinda what Thirdeye said...

I start mine fat side down, after 1.5 hours turn em, and turn em again after 4.5 hours total time.... Then let them go till done. I always make sure one butt is fat side down during the last hours of cooking and directly over the fire basket; The fat rendering drips create more smoke without having to add wood.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=#ff0000]LFSA RED Thermapen,[/COLOR] [/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]And 1 2010 Victor brand Hot Dog Cart[/FONT]
Desert Dweller is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2009, 06:33 AM   #7
dedmete
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smooookin View Post
I've got 2 cooking racks, you can see my setup here:http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...postcount=2711

Thirdeye, are you saying your butts only take a total of 4 hours? Or 7? What temp are you cooking at? It always take me around 12 hours in my gasser @ 220 to get them done (for pulled pork).
dedmete is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2009, 08:01 AM   #8
Cliff H.
is One Chatty Farker

If I tried to rotate or turn meats on my drum, I would have 500 deg fire before I was done.

Triple 5 Competition BBQ

Formerly know as :

Metro Appliances and More Cooking Team
Cliff H. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2009, 08:06 AM   #9
Bbq Bubba

Quote:
Originally Posted by smooookin View Post
It's doable but not recommended....

You'll notice, no flipping or rotating.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg food pic's 081.jpg (51.4 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg food pic's 083.jpg (54.1 KB, 72 views)
#detroitporkmafia
BBQ Person of the Year 2013
Bbq Bubba is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2009, 08:33 AM   #10
hav
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff H. View Post
If I tried to rotate or turn meats on my drum, I would have 500 deg fire before I was done.
Especially if I used KF Comp, that stuff heats up fast!
14" Table Top Kettle Grill; Turkey Fryer; [B][I][COLOR=red]Rapid-Fire-Red[/COLOR][/I][/B] Thermapen!; [COLOR="SeaGreen"][B][I]Mini, Small, Medium & Large BGE![/I][/B][/COLOR]
hav is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2009, 08:55 AM   #11
thirdeye

Quote:
I've got 2 cooking racks, you can see my setup here:http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...postcount=2711

Thirdeye, are you saying your butts only take a total of 4 hours? Or 7? What temp are you cooking at? It always take me around 12 hours in my gasser @ 220 to get them done (for pulled pork).
Sorry for the confusion, it's 9 to 10 hours for me, and this is for bone-in butts in the 7 to 8 pound range. (I copied my post and put the actual hours hours in parentheses) Drums cook a little faster because of both direct heat and convection. With butts I keep my drum around 250°, so I'm cooking hotter than you are. If they are not done by hour 11, I will go ahead and prepare them for the cooler rest by wrapping in foil , but instead of going to the cooler, I will return then to the cooker for an hour or so. This usually gets them where I want them, then I cooler them (with newspaper for insulation) and rest for 2 more hours.

I start them fat side down, and in a couple of hours turn them. (hour 2) You will notice the characteristic stripes on that first turn. Then I smoke them for about 3 more hours (until hour 5) and turn the fat down again. Within 4 hours ( by hour 9) they are usually done. When doing two racks full, the lower one will need turned earlier, and to balance out the cook I swap the upper for the lower after 90 minutes, turning the butts on the grate that wind up in the top position. Often when it's time for the next turn, the butts will have shrunk enough to get all of them on the upper rack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff H. View Post
Turning is no problem for me, but by rotating time I usually have just one or 1-1/2 plugs open , and I do put them in before rotating to reduce any flare-up. The one thing when cooking on two full racks, that 40 or 50 pounds of meat has dripped quite a bit of fat into the basket....so a little purge by flame helps sometimes. It dies right back down when the lid goes on.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-04-2009, 09:12 AM   #12
JD McGee

I'm a flipper too...half way thru the smoke I turn and rotate my butts (ala Paul Kirk).
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote