MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-17-2010, 08:26 AM   #1
Rover >~<>
Knows what a fatty is.

Post Please help a young lad smoke a turnkey

I have been trying to piece together all the posts about turkey on a uds, but im having some doubts that i would be able to successfully accomplish this. Im asking for help from anyone who doesn't mind taking a few minutes to give me a quick step by step. Im sure there are many young guys like me (21yrs old) that would love to make a delicious golden brown turkey, but don't posses all the knowledge to do so. Therefore, i would be so thankful if someone would reply with a detailed step by step covering turkey size, turkey prep, uds cooking method, wood, times, temp, simple brine recipe, rub recipe etc... Thank you very much to anyone who wants to take on my request.

I've never done a turkey in my life, so you might have to be detailed with the prep and uds technique (for example how to stand,sit,place the turkey on the reack)

I sure hope there is a wise bretheren willing to share some knowledge with me..thanks guys

Old 10-17-2010, 08:32 AM   #2
bbqbull
Watching over us.

Welcome to the forum Rover.
If you haven't already posted a bit about you and your equipment in Cattle Call please do so.

Ref: your turkey question, there are basic instructions at the top of our Q-Talk forum.
Here is the link, just arrow down for turkey information.

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7818
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2010, 08:56 AM   #3
stephan
is one Smokin' Farker

To be honest I can only give the basics first I like to brine my bird [ there are many brine recipes on the web ] and I let it sit at least 24 hour in the brine if i can. As far as rub goes you will have to find something you like check out this forums Brethern sales venture. And I also like to put apples in the cavity, but thats just me. I also like to use fruit wood to smoke with [ again apple ]. As far as temp, I keep it around 225-250 and I would say you will have to get some kind of thermometer I would invest in a good remote model, but the standard prob type works. I always cook turkey by what temp the bird is [165 its done ] figure about 30 mins a pound. Plan on taking you time. Relax and have some fun
stephan is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-17-2010, 09:06 AM   #4
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

I've used the Mad Max turkey method a couple of times and it comes out great...

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/madmaxturkey.htm

If I'm not doing a Mad Max, I fill the turkey cavity with chunks of carrots, onions, celery, lemons and oranges along with some fresh herbs. Then i rub the outside with olive oil, garlic, rosemary and salt and pepper. The, before cooking, I ice the breasts as suggested in the Mad Max method so it cooks at about the same time as the thighs. Then i cook it at 325-ish until the thigh is at 165 and the breast at 150 and let it rest for 30 minutes before carving.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2010, 09:30 AM   #5
jgbmgb
is one Smokin' Farker

This is one of the best recipes we have tried. We use it to smoke turkey all the time now.

Apple Brined Smoked Turkey Recipe:

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/turkey6.html

Old 10-17-2010, 01:06 PM   #6
Alan in Ga
is One Chatty Farker

Got a Turkey on the UDS as we speak. We brined it for 18hrs and gonna let her smoke for 3 hours with cherry good luck with yours
[SIZE=3]Golden Goose Egg(4 Times Certified)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Stumps 223 ,2 UDS,NB Hondo[/SIZE]
Alan in Ga is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2010, 01:55 PM   #7
Rover >~<>
Knows what a fatty is.

if i dont have a second rack underneath on my uds can i just smoke the bird on the top rack at 325-350 with no drip pan or will that burn the bottom of my bird. if this will result in burning, can i wrap the grate with foil in the center to act as a heat shield

Old 10-17-2010, 02:02 PM   #8
Rover >~<>
Knows what a fatty is.

also what should i put on the inside cavity after i tie legs together. a mix of herbs and lemon wedges ? im still lookig for more detail and steps..the links helped in the roadmap but not completly

Old 10-17-2010, 05:12 PM   #9
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

Many will fill the cavity with things like fresh herbs, pineapple, pears, apples, orange slices, even stuffing. If using stuffing, I'd be very careful of consuming it afterward. I'd recommend spatching the bird. Much more forgiving method IMO. I'm a big fan of putting stuff like a basil, lemon rind compound butter under the skin or even just pineapple and orange slices under the skin along with some rub. Another good tip is to ice down the breasts so the will cook at about the same temp as the dark meat.
As for UDS tips, I'd go with a lighter wood. Apple, cherry, even plum would go nicely with turkey as would a light maple.
What kinda lid you got on your drum? Kettle lid or the flat drum lid?
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-17-2010, 06:44 PM   #10
Rover >~<>
Knows what a fatty is.

kettle lid so plenty of room

Old 10-17-2010, 08:03 PM   #11
Campfire Girl
On the road to being a farker

A young Lad! Where have you been hiding?

Seriously though, It is very hard to hurt a turkey. It's just a chicken only larger.

I don't like to brine but if that's your style, OK. I think injecting is faster. My opinion is that is too hot, seems better for me.

Stuffing is OK too but it will add a lot of time to your cook, so I only do that when it's in the oven.

You can use almost any type of wood, I think Hickory is fun. And just let her smoke. Probably 12 hours for a 15 lb.

Not a whole lot more to do except let the smoke do its magic.

Have fun and don't worry.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:44 PM   #12
trza
Knows what a fatty is.

If you have a dome lid, you can use something like this porcelain turkey sitter which is really handy. It's basically like the beer can chicken holder. There are lots of variations to this theme. You could also go with a normal roasting rack like you would use in the oven.

Either method, you'll find that the convection effect will cook your turkey faster than a standard oven. Run around 325 or so. Don't forget to pat the bird dry before it goes on the UDS to ensure a crispy, golden skin.

Brining is a good way to prepare your unmolested (natural) turkey. If it's already injected with broth, that's got the same effect as a brine and going this route will probably make it too salty.

Derrick Riches @ about.com has a lot of good info about smoking turkeys. Check out his site for good info.

Old 10-17-2010, 09:55 PM   #13
smokedinvt
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks for this post folks. I am planning on doing a turkey this weekend for my niece and her family - she is home on leave from Afghanistan. Want to make it a special meal, memorable. thanks again.

Old 10-18-2010, 06:11 AM   #14
Rover >~<>
Knows what a fatty is.

ok. So i think i got it. im going to prep the turkey by removing insides, rinsing off and patting dry, brine 12-18 hours in brown sugar, water, salt, orange slices. Then take out pat dry and let sit 5-12 hours in fridge to dry skin. Next, rub with olive oil and season lightly with pepper, salt, rosemary, garlic. Then, stuff cavity with sage, tyme, and wedges of apple, lemmon, and orange. Then throw on Uds ( put a pie pan between my top grate and secured a small grate with bolts underneath so the pie pan is sandwiched between to catch drippings). then smoke over cherry or apple wood at 325 degrees untill 165 breast internal temp. Anyone see and problems with this senario ?

Thanks for all the help by the way guys.

Old 10-18-2010, 06:19 AM   #15
Rover >~<>
Knows what a fatty is.

oh ya i forgot to mention ...im just going to tei the legs together and tuck the wings under. also i will just leave the cavity open with the herbs and fruit inside,,,, and lay the bird down flat on the smoker grate.......any issues with this please let me know

Tags
turkey, uds