MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-17-2010, 09:30 AM   #1
bottomsupbbq
Full Fledged Farker

Default Kozmos and Butchers

I am going to purchase a Brisket Injection this week but cannot make up my mind on which one to try. Kozmo's or Butcher's (buying both isnt in the budget) For those that have used both products what are the flavor differences between the two? Is one spicer, more or less salty,etc. than the other?

DO NOT BASH either product on this thread as I am sure both are fantastic products.
Thanks in advance to all that reply
bottomsupbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2010, 10:02 AM   #2
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Head KnucklHed

Well, I have only used butchers marinade and prime dust. Neither are spicy at all,but I don't think they were intended to be.

I will tell you this - I have injected brisket with all sorts of stuff in varying concoctions with varying amounts of beef broth, beef au jus, bullion cubes...
I have NEVER ended up with brisket that tasted so beefy and flavorful from any of the junk I had been using! Most of the time I could hardly tell that I had injected it at all, even with letting it sit over night.

Inject with butchers let sit for a couple of hours in the fridge and rub it down! Nothing short of magic.

I'm sure the Kosmo's injection is on par and it is on my list to use, just haven't bought any yet!

Edit: Also, it does have a fair amount of salt and msg (autolyszed yeast extract) but it is a pretty good ratio if you follow the directions. If you're doing brisket for comp or wowing friends/family or catering I think you'ld be happy with the results.

“We shall throw our bacon wrapped all beef justice upon the wooden skewers of truth to be held on high and let them know that we will not stand for this.” ~Butz
KnucklHed BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2010, 10:11 AM   #3
early mornin' smokin'
is One Chatty Farker

best brisket ive ever made was injected with kosmos mixed with beef broth and a little jack. Ive never tried butchers, so can't comment. But kosmos left no tracks in the meat, and yielded a very moist and flavorful product.

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-17-2010, 10:48 AM   #4
Plowboy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Now where did I lay that 10' pole?

Todd Johns (me); Blue Springs, MO
Randy Hinck (PigBoy); Concordia, MO
Andy Groneman (Hodedo); KC, KS (Cameo Appearances)

FEC-500SS; FEC-100 (Right handed); FEC-100 (Left handed); Country Smoker Tailgater; Big Green Egg (2-large, small, mini); Cookshack Pellet Fired Charbroiler
Plowboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-17-2010, 10:58 AM   #5
KnucklHed BBQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Head KnucklHed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plowboy View Post
KnucklHed BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2010, 11:57 AM   #6
BBQchef33
Grand Poobah and Site Admin

Name/Nickname : Phil

Quote:

I'm using it.

CBJ with a Fuzzy Blue Hat, 18 Foot Competition Trailer, Customized Klose BYC, Custom Built Shirley built to feed our Veterans(A.K.A "Abrams"), 1 Double Barreled Lang 84, 1 Heavily Modified Bionic Bandera, 1 Custom Super Medium Stickburning Spicewine w/stoker, 2 XL BGE, 1 Mini BGE, 2 Pit Barrel Cookers, 3 WSMs, 3 Weber Kettles, an NB Hondo, A Modified Brinkman Horizontal, DCS 48" Grill, a Broilmaster P3, a Blackstone 36 and 17, a covered, pellet pooping FEC100, and our duck died. :(

News Flash:
"A mans worth is judged by the weight of his integrity "

You know your getting older when you choose your cereal for the fiber, not the toy

Smoke on KC.
WWW.BBQ-BRETHREN.COM
BBQchef33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2010, 12:35 PM   #7
gpalasz
is one Smokin' Farker

I have used both...and both are great products. However, I do like the fact that kosmos breaks down/mixes much easier than butchers.
Kettle 22.5 [COLOR=blue][B]BLUE[/B][/COLOR] OTG/W rotiss
Ultra Fast [COLOR=orange][B]Orange[/B][/COLOR] Thermapen
CCW SP 101 357 125g
gpalasz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2010, 02:26 PM   #8
peppasawce
is one Smokin' Farker

KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKoooooooooooooosmooooo oooooooos!!!!!!! is the best over here!!!!I did a Deer Shank Sunday, and people are ready to start paying me Hahaha!!! Go ahead Plowboy with yo' Badd Self!!!!!

Last edited by peppasawce; 08-17-2010 at 03:40 PM..
peppasawce is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2010, 03:19 PM   #9
Smokin' Gnome BBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

I would never use any type of meat enhancers personally, but you may also want to consider FAB B as well, it may have been the 1st one out. I belive the idea of the commercial injections is to retain moisture more than to flavor. some day I hope to be able to afford to inject with something other then left over beer from the night before.
Smokin' Gnome BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2010, 06:55 PM   #10
swamprb

Are you planning on competing?
KCBS CBJ/PNWBA CBJ www.pnwba.com
swamprb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2010, 07:30 PM   #11
Boshizzle

Good luck on your quest. I have some Kosmos and aome Butchers but haven't tried either yet. You can get a sample bag of Kosmos for under $7.00 plus shipping.

Old 08-17-2010, 08:07 PM   #12
kyle corn
is one Smokin' Farker

I've always been happy with my briskets but decided to try injecting them with one of the popular products to hopefully take them to the "next level." I did two briskets in two weeks, injected both and each one turned out pretty bad. Maybe it was bad luck both times. I followed the instructions and each one turned out extremely salty (used the same rub I always use). The last one was so bad that I had to put them on a Texas toast sandwich, slathered in Sweet Baby Rays and topped with extra sharp cheddar cheese just to be palatable. I'm no pro or competitor but I always made delicious, consistent briskets before so I think I'm done injecting. If it ain't broke...
kyle corn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2010, 08:54 PM   #13
big matt
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Your's and David's products combined have helped us land our hand's on 3 first place finishes..just got one this weekend!..thank's to the both of you for putting such excellent products out to the masses!
Facebook:[url]https://m.facebook.com/pages/Leftcoast-Q/125103440847709?id=125103440847709&_rdr[/url]
Our website:
[url]http://www.leftcoastq.com/Leftcoastq.com/Home.html[/url]
big matt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2010, 10:12 PM   #14
Ken V
Full Fledged Farker

Bovine bold and Kosmos gave me my first walk and GC a couple weeks ago with a 1st place brisket.
Am definitley going to try Butchers, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Ken
Cubby blue Thermapen
UDS
XL UDS
22.5" weber X 2
Ken V is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2010, 10:44 PM   #15
bottomsupbbq
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamprb View Post
Are you planning on competing?
Yes I do plan on competing a couple times next year. I had hoped to this year but unfortunately it hasnt worked out.
bottomsupbbq is offline   Reply With Quote