MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-19-2010, 12:18 PM   #1
crego97
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default 250 Gallon Cooker Help...

Hello all,
I am the FNG and I am loving this site. I am going to upgrade my 250 Gallon oil drum smoker. We built one on short time frame last year with no money. Now that I have cooked about 10 hogs on it I want to upgrade it to better control the temp. I don't want to get in the debate about the oil drum cookers, I already have one and love it. I just would like to see a few pictures of what you have on a trailer. I will have specs and pictures of mine when I get home from work.
Thanks in advance,
Chad

Support Our Troops, They Support You!!!
crego97 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2010, 12:31 PM   #2
sitnfat
is one Smokin' Farker

I enjoy mine i keep very close temps on both my racks within a couple of degrees i have a piece of steel welded in and separating the fire box from the middle rack. the opening on the bottom is about 10 inches
Attached Images
File Type: jpg barrel smoker 032.jpg (66.3 KB, 136 views)
sitnfat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2010, 12:48 PM   #3
crego97

Looks good.. Thanks keep them coming
chad

Old 05-19-2010, 06:57 PM   #4
Willie's BBQ
Banned

i replaced my smoke stack with a larger 6" exhaust and also took it down to grate level...helped with temp difference
Willie's BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2010, 10:58 PM   #5
Jeff S.
Full Fledged Farker

No pics, just sold my 400 gallon smoker, but I added a 1 inch ball valve to the fire box to tweak temps. Gave me a "fine tuning" knob. Got 8 hrs out of a 20 lb bag of charcoal at 230 deg.

Trailer'd LownSlo 48" x 20" with a Char-Broil Grill
Hinged Dome UDS, Weber Kettle lid UDS
Weber Performer
[COLOR=red]Red (Super Lightning Fast)Lithium-Ion powered ThermoPen[/COLOR]
2 Modded ET-73's 2 stock '73's
IGrill
WSBA, PNWBA, KCBS, KCBS CBJ
It's the I behind the Eye that see's
Jeff S. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2010, 01:13 AM   #6
hardy02ttu
On the road to being a farker

Mine is a 500ish gallon (cut a 1000 relatively in half) We built the trailer. It holds at 250 pretty well if the weather is just right, but the firebox is undersized. Plan to insulate the firebox to see if that helps. I understand the cheap, ive only got about $450 in mine and need about $100 more to finish. There is a one foot opening between the firebox and the cook chamber, plans for a baffle to keep the fire from flaring into the cook chamber. Hope this helps

hardy02ttu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2010, 10:30 AM   #7
crego97

Thanks,
Mine works good, but I need to add some air vents to the fire box..
I have a few holes on the bottom that I drilled with a 1/2" bit but they get filled up with ash pretty quick, then I have to prop up my door and put a fan underneath to keep it going prop... but it works.. I was going to put in a few slide vents, One on each side prob 3" tall
chad