MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-16-2010, 04:35 PM   #1
aswoboda
Knows what a fatty is.

Default wood pellet or lump charcoal and wood chunks?

hey guys, im about to start a long thread i think but i wanna know, Do most of you guys use wood pellet smokers or the lump charcoal with wood chunks? Im currently using a country smoker and love it but i see an upgrade coming soon and im curious what all you guys have to say which u think is better and why? Thanks again fellas
aswoboda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2010, 04:47 PM   #2
The_Kapn
Moderator Emeritus

Name/Nickname : Tim

We have folks here who cook with pellets, charcoal, sticks, gas, and electric cookers.
Probably a few fuel sources I missed

Just cook on what you want--not on some popularity contest result.

It's all good!!!!

TIM
Just sold Yoder YS640 due health
New Ninja Woodfired Grill for Christmas 2023
The_Kapn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-16-2010, 05:03 PM   #3
LT72884
Babbling Farker

I like electric smokers cuz there is no aftertaste if you end up over smoking or using a bad batch of charcoal. But i also love my weber kettle with rotisserie mod and UDS. I like to use lump and wood chunks. Never used a pellet cooker or a stick burner.

Old 05-16-2010, 05:19 PM   #4
Oldschoolbbq
Full Fledged Farker

Default aswaboda...............................;}-

As Kaptn said, do what suits YOU!
I am a Stickburner and swear by the flavor. I can adjust the intensity of the smoke with the types of wood I use and (having my smoker plated) can channel the smoke under the meat if I wish.
However, I find that the "strong" taste of smoke is not as pronounced if I watch my fire closely and keep a good light blue color.JMHO

Old 05-16-2010, 07:05 PM   #5
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

A lot of guys swear by pellets, and I do think they work very well. I've said it before, what happens when you run out of pellets and have to wait 4 days to have them shipped?

I like charcoal made easy like a stump of others like it, but you can't beat a stick burner if you have a wood supply.

Whatever works for you.

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][FONT=Tahoma]A veteran is Someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. Author unknown.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
Chef Jim is offline   Reply With Quote