Spatched Chicken

L

Larry Wolfe

I spatchcocked a 7lb Roaster Chicken! :shock::biggrin: Seasoned with some citrus rub and let sit in the fridge for a couple hours and then grilled idirect at 350º until the breast hit 160º. PDG
IMG_9089.jpg
IMG_9091.jpg

It's 6 am, and McDonalds says chicken for breakfast is all right, I'll be right over. Nice pics.

Nice job.Cooked one last week and whole leg was falling off bone,very good.

Looks good, but why such a high temp? Were you able to get a nice smoky flavor cooking at that speed?

Looks good, but why such a high temp? Were you able to get a nice smoky flavor cooking at that speed?

Higher heat for crispy skin and yes, there was a good smoke flavor with just lump alone.

I've been wanting to try something like this. What is the method for cutting the chicken?

Also any suggestions on rub?

I would eat that. As a matter of fact you could say that I would dis-spatch that yardbird.

That is a good looking bird, Larry. I like the higher heat for the crispier skin. Have to try that next time.

I've been wanting to try something like this. What is the method for cutting the chicken?

Also any suggestions on rub?

You can either use a very sharp chef knife or kitchen shears and cut out the back bone of the chicken. Then remove the keel bone which is located right in the center of the breast, that will make it lay flat.

The rub I used for that was my Wolfe Rub Citrus. I've done these with salt and pepper as well with great results.

That's one big bird!...Larry, how long at that temp?

It was a little over an hour.

Very nice. If it was my bird those wings would have been missing in the pic.

Back