BBQ Pot Pie

Plowboy

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I'll post the recipe soon, but here's a tease. I LOVE this dish and haven't made it in a couple of months. You can use any bbq you want in it: pulled pork, brisket, chicken, grilled shrimp, etc.

Attachments

• bbqpotpie 001 (Medium).jpg
    bbqpotpie 001 (Medium).jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 411
  • bbqpotpie 004 (Medium).jpg
    bbqpotpie 004 (Medium).jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 409
  • bbqpotpie 008 (Medium).jpg
    bbqpotpie 008 (Medium).jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 404
  • bbqpotpie 005 (Medium).jpg
    bbqpotpie 005 (Medium).jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 408
  • bbqpotpie 009 (Medium).jpg
    bbqpotpie 009 (Medium).jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 406
  • bbqpotpie 014 (Medium).jpg
    bbqpotpie 014 (Medium).jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 404
Last edited:
Good help is hard to find. :-D

Attachments

• bbqpotpie 013 (Medium).jpg
    bbqpotpie 013 (Medium).jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 401
I'm glad to see the EZ pie crusts, that's the only way I can pull something like this off. Mrs thirdeye is in charge of all the dough in my house.

Tell you what ..... You go first with the recipe for that pie, and I'll follow with two super easy ones that I make.

PIE THREAD :mrgreen: :mrgreen: All Aboard.......

1 C chicken broth
2 C BBQ, Cooked
1 small onion, diced
1 C peas, frozen
1 C corn, frozen
1 C carrots, diced & blanched
1/2 C non dairy creamer
2 T Flour
1/4 t thyme
1/4 t summer savory
1/4 t sage
3 T butter
salt & pepper to taste

2 pie crusts

Step 1 - Blanch Carrots - I like to cook the carrots a bit ahead of time so that they cook through by the time the entire dish is done. Simply add to boiling water for about 5-6 minutes. Sweat Onions - While blanching the carrots, add 1 T of butter to a skillet and warm over med-high heat until butter foams. Turn heat down to Med. Add onions. Cook until onions begin to soften and turn translucent. You are not trying to fry the onions. You'll hear a sizzle, but they should not brown and caramelize. Turn the heat down if they look like they are frying.

Step 2 - Make the Sauce - Remove the onions and carrots and set aside. Add remaining 2 T to skillet and turn up heat to Med-High until the butter completely melts and begins to foam. Turn heat down to Med-Low. Add flour a little at a time and wisk while adding until full incorporated. Continue to wisk and cook for 2-3 minutes as the rue gets a little nutty color. You'll want to watch the heat through this step. You may need to turn the heat down to low if it is cooking too much. Add the chicken broth, non dairy creamer, and herbs. Turn up heat to Med-High and wisk. Let simmer for 3-4 minutes while continuing to stir. Sauce will thicken. Salt and pepper to taste.

Step 3 - Add ingredients - Turn off heat. Stir in peas, carrots, onions, corn, and meat. Set aside.

Step 4 - Make the Pie - Grease a round 9" pie plate with butter. Place one pie crust round into the pie plate, add filling, and cover with second pie crust. Crimp the edges of the pie to seal it closed adding to slices for vents on the top of the pie. I like to use a larger serving fork for the crimp instead of a dinner fork because of the larger tines.

Cook in preheated 375 degree oven (or BBQ grill) for 40-50 minutes. If edges are browning faster than the rest of the pie crust, you can use a pie crust shield or make one out of aluminum foil.

Attachments

• piecrustscreen (Medium).jpg
    piecrustscreen (Medium).jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 386
Last edited:
You could obviously replace non dairy creamer and chicken broth for cream or half and half. May have to adjust the recipe and keep some of the chicken broth in the recipe.

Looks awfully good there Plowboy. I'm thinking this could be a great make ahead and foodsaver / freeze method for some summertime goodness to be enjoyed in the cold winter months here.

Thanks

That looks good and sounds easy. We own one of those collar things too.

As promised, here are my two. The onion pie is nothing new and only the adders of bacon and sausage along with using two kinds of cheese were my mods.

183fdb48.jpg

Vidalia Onion Pie

This makes enough filling for 2 pies​

This recipe is a slightly modified version of one posted by Larry Ward on
The Big Green Egg forum

2 lbs thinly sliced Vidalia Onions or other sweet onions.

1- cup sour cream
3- eggs
1- cup Pepper Jack cheese, grated
1- cup sharp cheddar, grated
6- tsp butter
4- pieces of smoked bacon fried and crumbled, or sausage (fried, drained & crumbled)
2- splashes of hot sauce
1/2 tsp salt
1- tsp white pepper​

Saute onions in butter until clear. Let stand and cool some.
Grate cheese. Beat the eggs add the pepper jack, salt, pepper, sour cream and bacon to the eggs and mix well.​

Pour into 9 inch (unbaked) pie shells, add the cheddar cheese on top and bake at 375 for 40 minutes and let cool and serve. For baking on your cooker or grill, use a pizza stone on the grate to diffuse the heat. Cooking over wood coals or lump charcoal gives this pie an excellent flavor.​

Now this next one is just as easy and you can use a store bought crust, but this crust is so damn good with the coconut and the nuts (and the hooch if you go that way) it is worth the 10 minutes it takes to make it. This comes from my bud Richard who lives on the Space Coast in Florida.

dsc01196abL.jpg

Key Lime Pie

Pie Crust
1/4 cup turbinado sugar
1 cup graham crackers, crushed
1/2 cup pecans, macadamia, almonds, walnuts or a combination, chopped course
1/4 cup coconut flakes, chopped course
4 Tbs butter, melted

Optional: 1/2 oz of Gran Marnier or Amaretto can be added.

Mix the ingredients and spread around the bottom and edges of an oven proof pie pan. Bake @350°F until lightly brown, 8 to 10 minutes.

Filling
1 Cup Key Lime Juice, Nellies & Joe's Key West Lime Juice
2 – 14 ozs. cans condensed milk, sweetened
3 large egg yolks
Pinch Salt

Place the lime juice in a small pan and heat over medium heat to reduce the volume by half. Strain and cool. Empty cans of condensed milk into mixing bowl and chill. When key lime juice is cool add to condensed milk, mixing thoroughly. Lightly beat egg yolks and add to milk mixture add salt and blend well. Pour into the pre-baked crust. Bake pie at 350° for 10 minutes. Chill 2 hours. Serve with whipped cream. For an extra touch, try a final garnish with mint or spearmint leaves.

Beautiful !!!!!!!!!
This is the BEST site on the web!!

Damn--
I finally got around to making my first attempt at Pig Candy today.
Thought I was caught up with new things to cook :redface:
Now, I gotta drool and dream over this :lol:
On my "to do" list.

Thanks guys.

TIM

Don't recken you can beat a pot pie and if it's BBQ I know you can't beat it.

Another variation that I do on this is replace the top crust with mashed sweet potatoes. Like a shepard's pie kind of thing.

Plowboy said:
Another variation that I do on this is replace the top crust with mashed sweet potatoes. Like a shepard's pie kind of thing.

My granny used to put silver dollar sized drop biscuits on top of pot pies too.

dang....all of that looks good!!! take some more pics!!!

This is what we do with the leftover pie crust that gets trimmed off. My grandma used to make crust things and set them on the little table in her kitchen for us kids to eat. Those are some REALLY good memories.

Roll out remaining crust really thin. Add sugar and cinnamon. Bake until crispy. :tongue: Yum.

Attachments

• piecrusttreat 002 (Medium).jpg
    piecrusttreat 002 (Medium).jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 360
Plowboy said:
This is what we do with the leftover pie crust that gets trimmed off. My grandma used to make crust things and set them on the little table in her kitchen for us kids to eat. Those are some REALLY good memories.

Roll out remaining crust really thin. Add sugar and cinnamon. Bake until crispy. :tongue: Yum.

Ah--the memories!

Thanks Todd.

TIM

Plowboy said:

Oh Yeah, did that with grandma and my mom. We called them cinnamon rolls. Good stuff when the children get to do it themselves. Dang I miss having kids around. But not that much.

20-30 years from now my kids will be talking with their kids about how dad used to make this pie crusty things. This post modern world is so much different than even the one I grew up in and I'm only going to be 38 this spring. In some ways, my kids will have more opportunities and adventures. In other ways, they'll really miss out. At least in this house, mom and dad actually cook the family meals.

That looks great. Was it one big pot pie for the family to share, Todd?

SmokeInDaEye said:
That looks great. Was it one big pot pie for the family to share, Todd?

Yes, sort of. :twisted: I had four pieces today. :biggrin: Just finished one. :tongue:

Back