Who builds their own smokers

Who makes your bbq pit?

• You

Votes: 20 37.0%
  • Someone you don't know

Votes: 34 63.0%

• Total voters
How about someone you know? I met with the builder of my first large smoker before I bought, and my second will probably be one of Jay Spice's. If you can't build your own, I would recommend getting to know your builder before making such a large purchase. Hell, I think Phil vacations with his pit builder.

I bought an off the shelf model I plan on knowing my builder if I go stick or charcoal if I go pellet I am looking at the cook shack fe100 so even then I hope to meet the builder if I can. I should be someone you have met for the $ spent. But off the shelf is off the shelf.

I answered "don't know" but that's sort of not quite right. I had many discussions on the phone with the distributor, Bob from KCK.com and then several discussions with the manufacturer, Kingfisher Kookers -- I sort of know them but we've never met.:-D

Unless you're having a locally built cooker of your own design I can't see where it matters...customer service is customer service and Cookshack, or Lang, or Klose, etc. will certainly take your calls and usually come through with your question, request, problem, etc.

I've met Sikes of Sikes cooker, Myron Mixon and James Britt of the JOS/Jedmaster cookers, and a couple of guys from Tucker, Ole Hickory, Southern Pride, etc. I would not hesitate to buy a cooker from any of these even if I didn't go to the factory except to pick it up. Getting to cookoffs has helped me "know" quite a few of these guys...for example, I had the opportunity to cook next to Fast Eddie this past weekend and his partner was CEO/pres of Cookshack...does that count as "knowing" the builder??:rolleyes: :-D

If I was having a "custom" cooker/trailer/pod/etc. made up I'd make the additional effort to get to know "them". If, for example, I was to order a JOS hog cooker on a pod I'd say I "know" them...even though I don't "know" the welder I do know the owner of the manufacturing company and the man that has his name on the cooker. It's not so much the $$$ as getting exactly what I want on that custom cooker setup.:mrgreen:

I have a Bar-b-Chef offset that I bought, and am in the (neverending) process of building my own mobile rig. 24"x6" with a 24" firebox. I had to re build the trailer, because the horse trailer that I was trying to use was not beefy enough and needed a ton of work just to get it to where I could use it. I'm hoping to have it ready by Christmas.

I know the man Ben Lang built my cooker, and Stump built my stumps, my weber kettle I have no idea who built that so I answered correctly.

Trick questions!

I was going to build my own and struggled with the decesion I ultimately made. I ended up buying a Treager because I was sold on the flavor and technology. Needless to say I'm not disappointed. I would however be interested in a Diamond Plate Smoker, or Fast Eddy.

Parts is parts.
Part BDS, part Bigmista patio deluxe smoker. Hybrid in progress.
IMG_1905.jpg

I designed and built the infamous EDS (Ed's Drum Smoker). It's working really well. It has it's own idiosyncrasies that I'm enjoying finding and making adjustments to.
Quick question to NORCOREDNECK. I just sent my santa list out, one of my requests was a Weber lid. I've looked around alot and can't find just a lid. Where did you find it? And secondly I hope it fits better than it looks. Does it seal around the drum lip ok?
ModelMaker

more picks this could turn into a fascinating thread
I am working on a backyard version of my Oklahoma Joe trailer rig will post pics when done

Back