Labor Day BBQ Plan?

A

ApronGuy

Labor day is coming up ... only about 10 days away. Anyone planning anything special for the smoker or grill?

I've already been asked to make ribs again. Got 3 racks lined up and I plan on grilling some brats. I would like to do some ABTs, but I'm nervous.

Adam, don't be nervous... They're easy. You're creative enough to come up with something interesting, I'd think. Just remember, the more you dig out the membrane, the less hot it is... the more you leave in, the hotter. I'm taking a bunch to my fantasy football draft tonight, full membrane, as a strategic thing.

Next weekend, I'm prepping for a tailgating class I'll be doing 2 weeks later, doing ribs, pulled pork, ABT's, fatties and armadillo eggs, bbq beans and cole slaw (ok, that won't be on the smoker). I may try my hand and making buns for sandwiches, too... and maybe not! :)

I'm doing 3 racks of ribs, two briskets and a pork butt this weekend. I have people coming over the weekend after labor day so I'll probably go low key for the holiday. I stopped and got some lump crab meat last night and I'm trying ABT's this weekend for the first time.

ApronGuy said:
Labor day is coming up ... only about 10 days away. Anyone planning anything special for the smoker or grill?

I've already been asked to make ribs again. Got 3 racks lined up and I plan on grilling some brats. I would like to do some ABTs, but I'm nervous.

Well I know it can't be rain that is making your nervous. ABTs are no problem. I use cream cheese and season with a little cumin, chile powder, onion powder, garlic powder, jack cheese, and the meat of choice for that day.

Helping to serve food to 400 tomorrow (hope it doesn't rain ALL day). Haven't even thought about Labor Day....But brisket always sounds good....

Hoping to find some briskets on sale & will stock up. Probably will do some brisket, ribs & some ABTs.

I will be at the campground Labor Day weekend so I am going to try the smoked meatloaf, some chicken, a shoulder and cabbage on the weber.:-D

I have offered to cook ribs for the in-law get together around the pool. The last 2 holidays have been tough, grey meat (read: BOILED) that has been drowned in sauce and called barbeque. We'll see what they decide. If not, then I'm eating vegetables that day.

serving about 10,000 people at Arts,Beats & Eats in pontiac, mi. doing spareribs, pulled pork and grilled garlic shrimp.

Gotta work Labor Day.:mad:
A friend is throwing a party at his lake house, so we’re doing it up this weekend. Precooked some brisket. Got some stuffed, and unstuffed fatties, ribs, chicken, and what ever else the rest of the guests bring. Gonna be a busy weekend, but I’m in my element. Cooking & Kicking Back. Oh, and let’s not forget, the adult beverages will be flowing!!:biggrin:

Uhh, maybe not as busy as the previous poster.... Damn that sounds like work:shock:

frognot said:
Hoping to find some briskets on sale & will stock up. Probably will do some brisket, ribs & some ABTs.

Pork butts $1.29 here. That's as low as it goes in this area. Picked up 3 cryopacs (2 7#butts each) yesterday. That might not be enough. Froze 2, gonna cook one (2 butts) this weekend. Yep, better go get some more.

In Laws are comin in to help us with getting our first house built so i will probably do some ribs and fattys or some chicken halves. Gonna try and work out all my kinks with this new WSM. did meatloaf and 2 fattys today and i couldnt get the temp to drop from the 260s. so doing ribs and a fatty tomorrow. to try it again.

Oh yea i have bout 8lbs of deer jerky on the dehydrator atm . anyone know roughly how long that takes to dry? send me a PM !!

Mother-in-laws birthday that weekend. She asked me to cook 2 briskets and 4 racks of ribs. Who am I to say no?

I don't even know what I'm cooking this weekend! Do you guys really expect me to think another week ahead? :-D

Bigmista said:
Mother-in-laws birthday that weekend. She asked me to cook 2 briskets and 4 racks of ribs. Who am I to say no?

That's funny. As my skills at BBQ grow, I'm getting that more and more from my in-laws. In fact, the 3 racks of baby backs I'm cooking are to be bought and consumed by the in-laws (one by my MIL, but don't tell her I said that).

Back