MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-14-2014, 01:39 PM   #1
Ruger410
Full Fledged Farker

Default Mold?

Hey yall I have a 22in WSM that I keep in my back shed that has almost no air circulation.i do not keep the grates in it and I keep the vents all open. I'm wondering though if it will grow mold it gets really humid here and hot as hell. Should I be worried? Also I have some left over coal in the bottom.
Thanks
Ruger410 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2014, 01:57 PM   #2
Face
Knows what a fatty is.

I'm on NoVa and I have the same issue with mold. It grows whenever I go a month without using my 18" WSM. Still trying to find a solution for this myself.
Face is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2014, 02:06 PM   #3
MAB52
is one Smokin' Farker

Hey Ruger410,
We live in Oregon where it is pretty damp all the time and mold is an issue here. I have a propane torch that I use to flash burn the inside of my cookers before each cook. According to wikipedia the temperature of the flame from a propane torch is around 3600F which will kill pretty much anything. We used a propane torch to disinfect wire cages on a farm I use to work at before each use. So if you don't have a propane torch you can pick them up at a local hardware store or harbor freight, I would recommend you get one with the starter button. Here is a link http://www.harborfreight.com/propane...ter-91037.html
Weber 22.5"
MAB52 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-14-2014, 02:20 PM   #4
Ruger410
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAB52 View Post
Hey Ruger410,
We live in Oregon where it is pretty damp all the time and mold is an issue here. I have a propane torch that I use to flash burn the inside of my cookers before each cook. According to wikipedia the temperature of the flame from a propane torch is around 3600F which will kill pretty much anything. We used a propane torch to disinfect wire cages on a farm I use to work at before each use. So if you don't have a propane torch you can pick them up at a local hardware store or harbor freight, I would recommend you get one with the starter button. Here is a link http://www.harborfreight.com/propane...ter-91037.html
Thanks I will check and see what tractor supply has

Old 04-14-2014, 02:24 PM   #5
Ruger410
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Face View Post
I'm on NoVa and I have the same issue with mold. It grows whenever I go a month without using my 18" WSM. Still trying to find a solution for this myself.
Yeah that would get to be a pain in The butt. I think I might hit mine with the power washer a little, I would like to keep some of the grease inside though she holds temp better

Old 04-14-2014, 02:29 PM   #6
Face
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruger410 View Post
Yeah that would get to be a pain in The butt. I think I might hit mine with the power washer a little, I would like to keep some of the grease inside though she holds temp better
Yeah I don't wanna wash off the seasoning. I think I will try storing it with the 3 sections disassembled and see if that helps.
Face is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2014, 02:32 PM   #7
Tricky
is one Smokin' Farker

I live in Southern CA and the other day I opened my UDS and the top rack was covered in a film of mold. I was going to fire up my gasser and throw the grate on the top and try to burn it off. I may still do that, but maybe I'll hit it with a propane torch too.

I don't recall ever having that problem before . . .
Rec Tec with bull horns -- UDS (Big Blue) -- 2 Weber kettles -- Weber gasser -- DCS outdoor stainless built-in nat. gasser with smoker box and rotisserie -- Dutch ovens a-plenty -- bright yellow can't-lose-me Thermapen
Tricky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2014, 02:47 PM   #8
Ruger410
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
I live in Southern CA and the other day I opened my UDS and the top rack was covered in a film of mold. I was going to fire up my gasser and throw the grate on the top and try to burn it off. I may still do that, but maybe I'll hit it with a propane torch too.

I don't recall ever having that problem before . . .
Yeah I think the torch would be the way to go

Old 04-14-2014, 02:49 PM   #9
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob
Default I'm

no mold expert, but as long as there is a food source in the cooker i.e. grease, rubs (sugars), and so forth on the inside, you will get mold growth eventually. As for the climate, I live in a dry and HOT climate and have never had issues with mold growth in the cookers even after an extended time of non use. I'm thinking that the humidity in your area is the catalyst for this problem.

Bob
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 04-14-2014, 03:00 PM   #10
MAB52
is one Smokin' Farker

Yep, you hit the nail on the head Bob.
Weber 22.5"

Old 04-14-2014, 03:02 PM   #11
aawa
Babbling Farker

Fire up the pit every once in a while instead of going a month without using it!

Old 04-14-2014, 04:01 PM   #12
mep
Full Fledged Farker

Use a wire brush to get off most of the mold and then fire it up with a good hat fire and let it burn off. The mold can't live in high temps. Then if you are still worried about it, scrape it with the brush again.

I have to do this with my BGE about once a year during the really humid season.

Old 04-14-2014, 04:59 PM   #13
MAB52
is one Smokin' Farker

Also another thought, you can't always see mold and that doesn't mean its not there. If you are in an area that has mold growing you might want to flash burn before your cook anyway.
Weber 22.5"

Old 04-14-2014, 05:21 PM   #14
ajstrider
is One Chatty Farker

Heat is the best sanitizer out there, fire it up!

Old 04-14-2014, 05:38 PM   #15
Brizz
Full Fledged Farker

I've discovered white vinegar is my friend. After I'm done smoking I will rinse out my spray bottle and fill it up with vinegar. While the cooker is still hot I spray the hell out of the cook chamber, close the door and let the steam coat everything. White vinegar is a known natural anti-bacterial and is of course food safe
Brizz is offline   Reply With Quote