UDS Smoker Question

oldsmobubble

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am new to the whole 'real deal BBQ' (and forums in general) thing and the bug has bit me pretty hard. I have a small Brinkmann vertical water smoker and was thinking about upgrading to a UDS, but, I wasn't exactly sure how it works or is considered to be an indirect cooker. Basically I have been reading up on all of the information I can find about the UDS on this forum and the rest of the internet and I noticed that some say to use a diffuser or water pan and others say not to. So my question is if you do not use a diffuser or water pan of some kind then how is it an indirect cooker/smoker and not a direct cooker like an oven?

Thanks in advance and sorry for being sooo long winded.

I use a large water pan on bottom rack just above charcoal basket (I have 3 racks total)- works as a difusser somewhat too. Some do some dont and some do for certain meats and not others - you just gotta experiment. Alot of them fancy upright cabinet smokers run water pans ...... I get better results with the water pan........

Last edited:
If the heat is rising and is below the meat it is direct as is your ECB. A UDS is a BBQ Pit not a smoker. Smokers are indirect heat ( the heat comes from out side the cooking area) BBQ Pits cook over live coal fire. All a waterpan does is act as a heat sink to maintain a Low temp. I don't use one and never have and if you know your equipment and how to manage a fire you don't need it to cook at lower temps.

Back