Polar Swine Invitational

HoDeDo

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
The 2006 BBQ season kicked off for us this weekend! Cooked our first contest of the season in the Balmy Eisenhower State Park on Melvern Lake (KS). 4 degrees when we fired up the pit, 14 degrees at turn in... What a great event. Only bought two bags of ice the entire weekend - to load the MoKanMeathead margarita machine. :wink:

Sounds more like hot brandy weather to me. Sounds like a good time though.

See . . .

If you are doing that, then I have nothing to complain about here in MN. I ought to get out there and cue in the dead of winter too.

Andy - this probably belongs in the competition section but it was a hell of a road trip.:-D

There were 7 teams at the first annual Polar Swine. Three categories, beef (brisket, tri-tip or ribs), pork (ribs), and poultry (any). We made a Turduken for the poultry category - came out awesome!!...and came in second (got beat by chicken thighs). We turned in brisket and tri-tip for the beef and ribs garnished with MARGARITAs for the ribs. We did great in the presentation for everything but sucked for everything else.

It was sooooo cold you had to keep stuff in a cooler just so it didn't freeze!! Left a glass of coke on the picnic table for a while and it had layer of ice on it!!

Took 7th - did I mention there were 7 teams.:oops:

Wayne - Thanks for reading the Thermometer in the camper, while I was out firing up the pit. 3 degrees.... and all that time I thought it felt like 4.
I can't wait to do it all again. :)

MoKanMeathead said:
We made a Turduken for the poultry category - came out awesome!!...and came in second (got beat by chicken thighs).

Those must have been some killer thighs! Did you get the guy's recipe?

I'm cooking a rib and chicken cookoff on Sunday and I just saw an updated weather forecast. High of 16 and snow the day before. I guess I better dig out my thermal undies!

Wayne, glad you survived! What did you end up doing on the turducken? Did you find a butcher who would de-bone then for you?

We couldn't find boned birds anywhere. Ended up de-boning them myself. Took about 20 minutes on the chicken and turkey. Took longer with the duck because I had to do that on Firday night - after several beverages. Luckily I still have all my fingers!!

U guys should do the "circle the wagons routine" and put all the pits in a circle to keep warm.

Wayne did a bang up job on the duck, even after some imbibery. Hopefully we get a pic or two of it posted. We left the chicken legs on.... it looked like tailpipes coming out of the turkey's arse. :wink:

Back