Question about Competition Chicken

JohnMcD348

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I was wondering why it is that for Competition purposes, they only use Chicken Thighs for judging? My wife was asking me and I sort of off the cuff came up with a few ideas but I wonder if I was even close. I said it was becuase the thighs(dark meat) had a better ability to stay juicy and absorbed more smoke than the breast(white meat).

Am I completely off and FOS or was I sortof right?

Thanks

JTMcD.

yup, that is pretty much it.. The dark meat stays moist and handle longer times in the smoke.. and also..

with a little trimming, they are easy to get uniform in size and shape and 6 thighs fit nicely in a box.

BBQchef33 said:
with a little trimming, they are easy to get uniform in size and shape and 6 thighs fit nicely in a box.
Or nine,,,,,,,,

LaurieChicken.jpg

yeah.. what he said too.:mrgreen:

they only use Chicken Thighs for judging

Any chicken can be turned in, thighs are just most commonly turned in now. A few years back it was legs, and 10-15 yrs ago it was breasts. At some point it will probably be breasts again.
Personally I hate thighs, just don't like the greasy dark meat. I wouldn't know a good thigh if I was forced to eat a dozen of them so I don't cook them. Breasts in my box.

Rich, the box is from Laurie, MO last year. The scores were apperance 888899, taste 889999 and tender 889999. I joked after the awards that I felt those nine pieces got the judges thinking 9's,,,
But dangit, I could never get nine in a box after that last year,,,,

Greg, you ever hear from the guy who wanted to know if Ribs 4 U was GOOD ENOUGH??:confused:

if you know what you are dooing you can add chicken brest in the box. I got 4 place ot the American Royal of all most 500 teams so don't you have to have just thighs.

Do the breasts have to have skin on them and do they have to be "smoked"? I have a way that I grill skinless boneless breasts that they are so moist that after you take them off the grill and finish dinner there is a big puddle of juice on the meat plate. My family requests them all the time.

Just curious what the comp rules have to say about skinless boneless breasts that are grilled?

Fraternally
Neil

Depends where you're competing...

For KCBS, You can use skinless/boneless but they can't be cooked on a gas grill or using gas etc. You can "grill" them with high heat on a Weber kettle or similar with charcoal and/or wood if you choose.

MilitantSquatter said:
Depends where you're competing...

For KCBS, You can use skinless/boneless but they can't be cooked on a gas grill or using gas etc. You can "grill" them with high heat on a Weber kettle or similar with charcoal and/or wood if you choose.

Yea....what he said......

Although they have been posted previously many times, I wonder if folks would share pictures of turn in boxes for chicken in this thread. Many of the previous pictures that have bene posted seem to have been removed due to age/broken links/forum migration.

This discussion about what chicken parts to compete with comes up regularly...and trends change.

Right now, if you want to win in KCBS or FBA you would be advised to cook thighs. I've had mixed boxes recently - the breast and thigh meat was good - but the white meat has NEVER yet (note: yet) come up to the moistness, tenderness, and flavor of the dark meat - if it's dry it's not going to score well. Lately I've seen more legs and the occassional wing box - the problem with legs is the thin bone end usually gets overdone to the point of disappearing and the boxes I've seen were definately overdone - the trick is to adjust your cooking methodology to the pieces you are cooking. The wings have suffered the same fate - I'm thinking most guys are cooking the wings on the kettle and they are getting a bit of the charbroil treatment - I love wings but can't score the ones I've been getting very high - dry, very dry!!

For you new guys - trust me, you have to learn that your personal preferences need to stay home...try something "different" if you wish but be prepared to spend time mf'ing the judges - I'm fortunate to be able to enjoy any piece of the chicken - but my turn in boxes, unless the trend changes, will always be thighs.

It has been mentioned that thighs "fit" the box better, though legs and wings make a nice box too. White meat has to be sliced or cut - there is no way you can get 6 or 8 white meat pieces in the box...extra handling, torn skin, shreds, etc.

Now, this is just my opinion - I'm not going to argue it one way or the other, but several thousand dollars and lots of crying in my beer has conviniced me to stick with thighs in competition.

Chad, your point is well taken, but....as has been stated in this thread, people do win with white meat. Is it harder, yup. I just consider it a challenge and plan to do my best. I've been working on my breasts for 18 months and would hate for all that effort to go to waste.

kcquer said:
I've been working on my breasts for 18 months and would hate for all that effort to go to waste.

Scott, I'm also planning on taking a shot at white meat at one point this upcoming season to see how it works out. I'm feeling pretty good about my chicken too. I much prefer white meat myself and I'm thinking that especially given the insulated pizza bag I use for turn-ins, I ought to be able to get some boob to the judges before it dries out! Probably use my method at one contest where I figure I don't have a shot anyway (like the GAB).

Last edited:
My first chick box 3 years ago. Man that looks bad!
This weekend I will be turning in 6-9 thighs..
Like Chad said "You Better"

Attachments

• bbq 001.jpg
    bbq 001.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 86
smokincracker said:
My first chick box 3 years ago. Man that looks bad!
This weekend I will be turning in 6-9 thighs..
Like Chad said "You Better"

And- the good lord willing--I will get to judge them!
Show me some 9's and ya got it :lol:
Show me some 6's and...well, I will buy the first round to help drown the sorrow :lol:

I really do not care--white, dark, cornish, halvsies--if it is legal--it gets a fair and unbiased score from me :lol:

Now, I pack my cooler with....
Nevermind, I don't bring a cooler so the leftovers go to the volunteers who make it all happen :lol:

TIM

Back