• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Ham bone

samfsu

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
So I am curing and then gonna smoke my own ham for Thanksgiving. Did this last year and it was a hit. I was wondering what, if anything, the bone can be used for after the ham is cooked. Any thoughts?

Beans beans beans!

I like to do white beans with it. Make some cornbread to go along with it - you'll be living right!

My favorite is ham and bean soup.

Dice an onion and a couple stalks of celery finely and sweat them in the bottom of a stock pot with some oil or butter until translucent, then add the ham bone along with a qt of chicken stock and then water to cover. Add 1lb of pre-soaked white beans, navy beans or pinto beans and simmer covered for a couple of hours until the beans are tender and start to release their starch and thicken the soup to your desired thickness.

I generally use the bone (leave some meat on it!) for bean soup or baked beans, or occasionally split pea soup.

My version of bean soup consists of boiling the bone for an hour or so, remove the bone, strain & add the meat back to the broth. Then add sliced onion and diced carrots. When they're tender add precooked navy beans and a small can of tomato sauce. Simmer & serve. mmmmm!

Another thing you can do, toss it in the smoker and let it get all nice and smokey and get some color on it. Then use it in the beans. One time a de boned a few picnics, I tossed the bones in the UDS and left em for a few hours. They made for some really good dog treats. THat's if you want to share with your four legged friend.

My favorite is ham and bean soup.

Dice an onion and a couple stalks of celery finely and sweat them in the bottom of a stock pot with some oil or butter until translucent, then add the ham bone along with a qt of chicken stock and then water to cover. Add 1lb of pre-soaked white beans, navy beans or pinto beans and simmer covered for a couple of hours until the beans are tender and start to release their starch and thicken the soup to your desired thickness.

Thanks, I am going to try this next week :)

time for Peasoup !!

HPIM3100r.JPG

87546193_9a8057c85b.jpg

I leave some ham on it -
sautee 1 or 2 chopped onions in a big pot -
then add water,
the hambone,
some bay leaves,
pepper and salt
and let it simmer for a couple of hours..

then take out the bone and cut up the ham - back in the pot -
add a bag of split green peas,
1 smoked sausage and
2 split pork trotters
and simmer for a couple of hours more until the meat falls off the trotters.....
some freshly baked bread with it to sop - and you're in heaven!:mrgreen::mrgreen:

Back